DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

This is one of those that made my stomach flip when I heard it.

From the early standup days where he was this rare non-mainstream voice in pre-internet days that snuck far enough into the mainstream somehow to be known by kids in the Midwest and open up their eyes to alt. comedy. to his podcast which is one of the only pure-good achievements of the tech era.

I know Gilbert is probably looking down and thinking

Spoiler

I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE LARRY STORCH OUTLIVED ME!!!!!!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He is my favorite version of Myxzptlk. His voice is the one I always hear when I read the comics. 

I think the second Myxzy ep his him face the overlords of his dimension and Gilbert voiced the overlords as Dracula.

• Like 2

That Hollywood Squares just ate me up. I had to watch it twice, it's so funny. 

Gilbert is gonna be remembered as one of the sleeper, god-tier level comics that didn't get enough love. And there's so much of it pouring out now just from my friends on social media alone, many of whom I didn't know revered him so much. It's so sad that on the verge of maybe some real acknowledgment coming his way that he passed. 

And because it has to be said: USA Up All Night was very, very important to some of us and shouldn't be forgotten. Rhonda Shear figures into that too. 

• Like 2

The various facets of popular culture he touched are so divergent:

Stand up, cartoons (kids and big kids), roasts, sitcoms, movies (BH Cop 2, Problem Child),  Up All Night, the podcast, rap (the Gas Face video),commercials (aflac), Stern and more. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Back when I still listened to Stern, Gilbert's appearances were always a highlight... they usually ran a good 20-30 minutes over time whenever he came on, because he would get into a groove and what whackamole would pass up the chance to mine that vein of comedy gold? I vividly remember listening to Stern on my Walkman while waiting for a job interview years ago, and I had to to duck out of the office and compose myself because whatever bit he was doing had me in tears.

His podcast was exceptional, but at the same time it could be a rough listen in patches because he sounded like he'd had a minor stroke or something similarly incapacitating... still sharp as a tack, but no longer the motormouth of yore as he was noticeably slower. Still an excellent listen, especially with the guys he had on.

RIP sweet funnyman.

• Like 2

New Pod - @MushroomJonesreturns to discuss the life and times of Gilbert Gottfried. Lots of Stern show talk. Plus, comics and wrestling talk.

BTW, there's a Stern Show Archive on YT that has almost all of Gilbert's best appearances, including the fight with Amy Heckerling's assistant, Seinfeld, Dracula and more.  Over 100 clips.

http://tinyurl.com/winter107

• Thanks 2

A little late to the Gottfried discussion but I stumbled across this video about a month before he died and as someone who has never seen a minute of The Apprentice,this is AMAZING. Just Gottfried being himself, not worrying about the competition, the other contestants, Trump or anything really. Just saying or doing whatever he thought was funny.

RIP Kenneth Tsang.

One of the most important and influential figures in the history of Hong Kong cinema is no longer with us, after Kenneth Tsang was found dead in his room at the Kowloon Hotel, but no immediate cause of death has been given by the local authorities as of yet.

The hotel has been in use as a place for passengers to quarantine after overseas travel, with Tsang journeying back to his homeland on Monday after a trip to Singapore. The actor took a rapid COVID test yesterday, which returned a negative result.

Born in Shanghai, raised in Hong Kong, and educated in the United States – where he achieved a degree in architecture – Tsang first shot to fame in the 1960s by appearing in a huge number of local kung fu films, where he would typically be cast as the bad guy.

Tsang also lent support in John Woo’s classic A Better Tomorrow and its sequel, before re-teaming with the filmmaker for the iconic Hard Boiled, and the lesser-known Once a Thief. Despite his prolific career in front of the camera, it wouldn’t be until 1998 that he made his Hollywood debut, co-starring with regular collaborator Chow Yun-fat in Antoine Fuqua’s The Replacement Killers, before going on to appear in box office hits Rush Hour 2, Die Another Day, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Tsang’s manager Andrew Ooi released a statement describing him as “a dear friend whom I respected and I could turn to for advise when needed”. The veteran’s final credit came in 2019 TV series The Great Craftsman, one of well over 220 in total.

• Sad 1

Kailia Posey, who was featured frequently on Toddlers & Tiaras has passed away at the age of 16.

The family has confirmed it was due to suicide

Most folks will be familiar with her due to this gif

giphy.gif

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Character actor Mike Hagerty (Friends, Wayne's World, So I Married An Ax Murderer) passed away at 67.

One of the all-time "Oh hey, it's that guy" guys

Mike-Hagerty-dead-01.jpg

• Like 1