DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Altered States is one of mine.

Same here and also much love for his cerebral character in the Three Days of the Condor miniseries on Epix.

• 2 weeks later...

The passing of Jimmy Wang Yu hits pretty hard.  I have heard stories about how he was a pain in the ass to work with, but he provided me with so many magical kung fu movie moments as a kid.

RIP, OG One Armed Boxer.

I am in rough shape now, but I will be okay.  I will probably weep buckets on the day God sees fit to call Lu Feng home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN GOLDEN SWALLOW?!?! That has to be a top three fight scene in any kung fu film -- and possibly any film. 

Wang Yu was a highly adaptable athlete and looked authentic in his fights despite not having a single ounce of formal martial arts training.  There is not enough credit given to Yuen Woo-Ping, Chia-Liang Liu, and the other experienced kung fu artist / actors that made him look like a milion dollars.

• Like 2

Golden Swallow is Chang Cheh's sequel to Come Drink With Me.

Did not realize that Wang Yu is the Master in Wu Xia (Swordsmen). He takes on a one-armed Donnie Yen in the final fight.

If the stories are to be believed, Wang Yu helped Jackie Chan get out of his situation with Lo Wei (Triads are supposedly involved) and that's why Fantasy Mission Force exists.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

sad to hear.  Perhaps on of the most unique voices ever.  He was tremendous back on the stern show in the 90s.  Above is part of his superman the animated series as Mr. Myxzptlk.

He is my favorite version of Myxzptlk. His voice is the one I always hear when I read the comics.