DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

How many people learned "Do Not Go Gentle Into that Goodnight" because of her voice reciting it while fondling Rodney Dangerfield?

And if you told me a few years ago that Sally Kellerman would be the kind of person with a sense of humor to fit seamlessly into Time Heidecker and Gregg Turkington's comedy world, I don't think I would have believed you.

• Like 2

Grandmaster Harry Mok passed away on January 27, 2022 after fighting with COVID-19. He was one of the most loved and respected people in the martial arts and in life. Our hearts will remain broken for many years to come, but we will see Harry again, which is our only consolation. RIP dear friend. We will see you when our time comes

There would be no 90's martial arts movie bonanza without guys like Harry Mok and Leo Fong.

RIP to both of these men.

Edited by J.T.

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was 59.

Damn.  

I knew he did the voice for Million Knives in Trigun, but I had no idea how large his body of voice acting really was.  He was even in the Huey Lewis & the News video, If This Is It.  He has been a huge part of my cultural zeitgeist without me even knowing it.

RIP, Ug.

• Like 2

Nickelodeon and Disney channel sitcoms are a unique part of the entertainment industry. They usually only last two or three seasons, but they hit kids at an important age that leaves a significant impression. My Brother and Me only had a thirteen episode run in 1994 (that was rerun constantly for like four subsequent years), but my brother and I still reference it to this day. Most of those actors end up doing little else or become journeymen like Bailey, but just about everyone my age with basic cable at the time fondly remembers Ug.

Ned Eisenberg (who I assume most folks remember either from being on Law & Order a bunch or being the jewish guy that Paulie and Sylvio beat up on the Sopranos, but you've likely seen him in a few different things) passed away at 65.

01xp-eisenberg-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

• Sad 2

He was also a Laff In alum.  Sad to see a big man pass. But 84 is pretty solid and if you look him up it seems like Johnny Brown was really really happy most of the time he was on this dumb planet. In fact, I would encourage anyone to look him up every few weeks just to remind themselves what being happy can look like.

Here he is playing Match Game with some wide lapels.

GCA2zcb.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

He was also a Laff In alum.  Sad to see a big man pass. But 84 is pretty solid and if you look him up it seems like Johnny Brown was really really happy most of the time he was on this dumb planet. In fact, I would encourage anyone to look him up every few weeks just to remind themselves what being happy can look like.

This is kind of unrelated, but I remember when that Wu-Tang documentary came out, near the end a bunch of them were having dinner around a table.  Cappadonna, who may have the least star power in the Wu-Tang Clan, was sitting at the table as everyone else was talking about the ups and downs of their careers, and he had the most content look on his face.  I remember watching it thinking, he is the only one who realizes that every success he's had in his life came from being affiliated with the Wu-Tang Clan.  No body is perfect and everybody has their issues, but none of those issues matter when you realize that the lows are insignificant compared to the highs.  He probably could have complained as much as everyone else if he actually sat there and thought about it, but he had absolutely no desire to do that.  Sometimes we all need to realize that we're probably better off than we think we are and if you focus on the good and not the bad you'll be much happier.  

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is kind of unrelated, but I remember when that Wu-Tang documentary came out, near the end a bunch of them were having dinner around a table.  Cappadonna, who may have the least star power in the Wu-Tang Clan, was sitting at the table as everyone else was talking about the ups and downs of their careers, and he had the most content look on his face.  I remember watching it thinking, he is the only one who realizes that every success he's had in his life came from being affiliated with the Wu-Tang Clan.  No body is perfect and everybody has their issues, but none of those issues matter when you realize that the lows are insignificant compared to the highs.  He probably could have complained as much as everyone else if he actually sat there and thought about it, but he had absolutely no desire to do that.  Sometimes we all need to realize that we're probably better off than we think we are and if you focus on the good and not the bad you'll be much happier.  

We might call this the Ringo Starr doctrine.

There were Sesame Street lifers and Delado was one along with Maria and until recently Bob. Don't know if Susan and Gordon are still around

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

There were Sesame Street lifets and Delado was one al9ng with Maria and until recently Bob. Don't know if Susan and Gordon are still around

James

Susan and Gordon left in 2016 and 2017, respectively, according to Wikipedia.

There's only four human cast members left on the show, apparently.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

There was a big todo back in 2016 when the actors who played Luis, Bob, Susan, and Gordon were removed from the cast due to "changes in direction" and other biz-speak. This was around the time HBO made the deal with Sesame Workshop to get first dibs on new episodes, but the actors said it was a Sesame Workshop decision to can them, not HBO.

IIRC, the four were re-hired as show ambassadors and would appear at autograph shows and other public events.

Hurt’s recent guest appearance as F Murray Abraham’s terminally ill rival/friend on Mythic Quest was wonderful. He’s confined to a wheelchair and bed for most of it, but I wasn’t aware he’d actually been dealing with metastatic cancer for several years. 

• Like 1