DVDVR Message Board

DC TV (2022)

RIPPA

Most upset I've ever been over a famous person's passing. I love Batman and I'd take Batman: The Animated Series with Kevin Conroy's performance over any other Batman ever. It's the pinnacle of the character. That's how highly I think of it. 

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, it really doesn't sink in sometimes that somebody passed until you see something like this.  Now excuse me while I find out who's cutting onions around here.

You and me both. Cried reading Finding Batman, a story written by Kevin Conroy for DC Pride 2022. Warning: Not only will it move you, it contains the f word slur:

https://imgur.io/gallery/LFZttru

• Like 1

Story in the Hollywood Reporter claims CW was spending $2 for every dollar it made.  Basically, the network is estimating revenue of $370-$400 million in 2021-2022 but is going to lose $300-$400 in the same period.  Same article says the network never turned a profit and was basically being propped up by international rights deals and the Netflix deal.  When the Netflix deal wasn’t renewed, the CW collapsed financially.  So, yeah, getting out of the scripted entertainment market seems like a no-brainer for the new owners.

Edited by Mario

Man, S4 of Flash was...meh. Dibny doing a 93rd-rate Jim Carrey impression for 99% of the season was lame, the bus metas got really rushed at the end, and the Council of Wells was so cringe.

Somehow S5 is appreciably worse. Good thing that Jessica Kennedy is adorable enough that I don't care how badly Nora is written. And I can't believe they did the "Fists don't make you strong; friends make you strong" bit during the Daddy Frost episode. Ugh. I'm only watching this so I can follow one of the shows long enough to get to Kevin Conroy as a live action Batman. Should have gone with Legends.

Was Supergirl any better than the others (it was the only one I never watched a full season of)? Or did they all just turn to crap after a year or two?

Edited by Contentious C

I enjoyed S4 of Flash mainly for The Thinker as the big bad. Supergirl is worth sticking with just for Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor which is fantastic. But what really did in Flash and Supergirl was covid. Both shows had to cobble together season finales out of what they shot, and they never recovered. Legends having a shorter season than the other shows ended up being a plus, as S5 ended just as the shutdown started. Then Seasons 6 and 7 really embraced the silliness and the show just evolved past typical super hero fare. Of course, it was cancelled with a cliffhanger because Keto Shimizu, the head writer and showrunner decided to play chicken with the network, her words, and lost.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 2:07 AM, Contentious C said:

Man, S4 of Flash was...meh. Dibny doing a 93rd-rate Jim Carrey impression for 99% of the season was lame, the bus metas got really rushed at the end, and the Council of Wells was so cringe.

Somehow S5 is appreciably worse. Good thing that Jessica Kennedy is adorable enough that I don't care how badly Nora is written. And I can't believe they did the "Fists don't make you strong; friends make you strong" bit during the Daddy Frost episode. Ugh. I'm only watching this so I can follow one of the shows long enough to get to Kevin Conroy as a live action Batman. Should have gone with Legends.

Was Supergirl any better than the others (it was the only one I never watched a full season of)? Or did they all just turn to crap after a year or two?

Supergirl was honestly the most consistently good show of the bunch until S&L and Stargirl popped up. Supergirl knew what it wanted to be and stuck to it. Other than queer baiting on Lena/Kara, the show always had a very progressive tone. It lead to some corny shit sometimes, but it always had heart.

Cryer was an incredible Lex, and that alone is worth sticking around for.

Also, the swerve on Stargirl this was week was batshit insane.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Also, the swerve on Stargirl this was week was batshit insane.

Man, I felt like such an idiot for not seeing that one coming earlier int he season once a certain villain was revealed. It just made too much sense, but they set up it way too well for you to think everything was ok.

• Like 2

Finally making my way through the Crisis crossover and God is it mostly garbage. It feels like they left half the explanations for things in the editing room.

Also a little disappointed the "Superman who lost more than most" wasn't Dean Cain for having lost his damn mind.

Kevin Conroy's appearance didn't disappoint, though.

We just recently reviewed Crisis on our pod, and despite it's faults? It's pretty great. It was a huge undertaking for these low budget shows and there were so many great moments and guest stars.  Conroy, Welling, and especially Shipp were a blast. They actually got Huntress from Bitds Of Prey in there for Christs sake.

And I love that the last part is the Legends episode, so it takes a turn for the absurd in tone. Where the other heroes point it out. I always felt that Legends was the JLI of the Berlantiverse. It's in continuity with the other shows but it's also a comedy.

• Like 2

Honestly, I always thought the crossovers knocked it out of the park each time, with Earth X probably being the best one. They do take a level of investment in the full lineup of shows though. If I can level a criticism at the crossovers, it's that the producers didn't really care if they appealed to a casual viewer, and only really seemed aimed at the regular viewers.

• Like 2

Now I wish I had watched Stargirl.  I watched season one then checked out.  By the time season one  aired, I was mostly checked out of the Berlanti shows.  I tended to like season ones a lot, then lose most of my interest thereafter.  Supergirl had some good seasons in the middle of its run and Cryer was fantastic late in the series.  Only the Covid year (years?) were terrible, imo.  I liked Green Arrow but found it repetitious, especially after they expanded the cast.

I still don’t understand Legends appeal.  It has a devoted fanbase, so it obviously worked for a lot of people, but it’s one of two shows I’ve legit hated in the past 30 years.  Once Darvil left and they leaned into comedy, it was an hour of nails on a chalkboard for me.  I kept giving it a try thinking  I’d eventually turn the corner on it, but never did.

Edited by Confused Villanova Grad

On 12/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, odessasteps said:

In paper, it seems like Johns and/or JDR borrowing from The Golden Age. 

You nailed it. In the first three minutes they revealed the master plan and it was "UH runs for President." 

I loved the finale. The wrap up scene was wonderful, and it got a little dusty in here.

• Like 1

For a series finale that was originally supposed to be a season finale, I thought they did a great job of bringing things to a satisfactory conclusion, while also leaving things open *just* enough, just in case it gets picked up elsewhere.

I wish things would have worked out differently with the CW and the Arrowverse, just so we could have gotten Stargirl involved with the crossovers.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

For a series finale that was originally supposed to be a season finale, I thought they did a great job of bringing things to a satisfactory conclusion, while also leaving things open *just* enough, just in case it gets picked up elsewhere.

I wish things would have worked out differently with the CW and the Arrowverse, just so we could have gotten Stargirl involved with the crossovers.

Courtney would’ve fit so perfectly into Barry and Karas friendship. it would’ve been wonderful

• Like 2