DVDVR Message Board

DC TV (2022)

RIPPA

The Flash felt very fresh this week. I didn't think I would like an episode based around Bart and Nora, but it was a lot of fun, which is usually sorely lacking from the Flash the last few seasons. It won't happen, but I wouldn't hate if the show had that kind of focus more.

We haven't been talking about Superman & Lois much, which is a shame, because the last couple of episodes have been incredible.

• Like 2

I was thinking about the Berlantiverse last night and it's just an astounding thing.  10 years, 17 series, 50+ seasons and over 850 hours of an interconnected universe set in the DC universe.  An amazing achievement.

• Like 5

Speaking of lengthy shows

Flash has been renewed for a 9th season which means it will pass Arrow for longest-running show in the Arrowverse

(Superman & Lois was also renewed)

The rest of the shows will learn their fate in May (reportedly)

Some time last year I decided that I needed to correct a childhood error and watch all of "Batman: The Animated Series"  I at first picked at it watching an episode or two here or there.  But once I started season 3 in I picked up the pace and just finished the whole thing.

Season one I feel is prime Batman: TAS with season being not far behind.  I was iffy on an emphasis on Robin in season two but in the end it worked out pretty well.  Then season three happened and that shit was just WILD.  They changed the look of most characters while introducing the wackiest of villains.  It was definitely interesting and while I know nothing about that season's reputation I absolutely loved it.

An episode that is worth highlighting is the series finale and man what an episode to go out on.  It was only focused on three characters and explained the fucked up story of Joker and Harley.  It's been annoying enough seeing the pair be romanticized in recent years and that was before I knew more about the story.  But this episode did a great job showing the abusive relationship Harley found herself in and just when she thought she was done with Joker he leaves something at the end for her.  It was sad, maddening then sad again but it's so worth tracking down.

So yeah, Batman: TAS ruled.  I still need to watch "Mask of the Phantasm" but I just finished the last five episodes tonight so I'm good for now.  

• Like 3

@NikoBaltimore I’d recommend Batman Beyond (or at least the Return of the Joker movie) and the Justice League Unlimited episode “Epilogue” since they kind of wrap up BTAS. The JLU episode in particular has a scene that’s become an iconic Batman moment for a lot fans. 

I love the New Batman Adventures, but it seems like it’s a divisive season. The Mad Love episode is based on a one-shot comic of the same name that’s worth checking out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Some time last year I decided that I needed to correct a childhood error and watch all of "Batman: The Animated Series"  I at first picked at it watching an episode or two here or there.  But once I started season 3 in I picked up the pace and just finished the whole thing.

Season one I feel is prime Batman: TAS with season being not far behind.  I was iffy on an emphasis on Robin in season two but in the end it worked out pretty well.  Then season three happened and that shit was just WILD.  They changed the look of most characters while introducing the wackiest of villains.  It was definitely interesting and while I know nothing about that season's reputation I absolutely loved it.

An episode that is worth highlighting is the series finale and man what an episode to go out on.  It was only focused on three characters and explained the fucked up story of Joker and Harley.  It's been annoying enough seeing the pair be romanticized in recent years and that was before I knew more about the story.  But this episode did a great job showing the abusive relationship Harley found herself in and just when she thought she was done with Joker he leaves something at the end for her.  It was sad, maddening then sad again but it's so worth tracking down.

So yeah, Batman: TAS ruled.  I still need to watch "Mask of the Phantasm" but I just finished the last five episodes tonight so I'm good for now.  

What a great post to wake up to, @NikoBaltimore. I love Batman and to me, Batman is Batman: The Animated Series for the writing, animation, voice work and music. Heart of Ice and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are the best things to come from it followed by in no particular order: Two-Face, Almost Got 'Im, Beware the Grey Ghost, The Man Who Killed Batman and On Leather Wings.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

@NikoBaltimore I’d recommend Batman Beyond (or at least the Return of the Joker movie) and the Justice League Unlimited episode “Epilogue” since they kind of wrap up BTAS. The JLU episode in particular has a scene that’s become an iconic Batman moment for a lot fans. 

I love the New Batman Adventures, but it seems like it’s a divisive season. The Mad Love episode is based on a one-shot comic of the same name that’s worth checking out.

@(BP) is right to recommend Batman Beyond, Batman of the Future as it's called over here. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is a must, particularly the Uncut Version. Our Family Memories is legitimately unnerving and disturbing. Oh man, that scene from Justice League Unlimited's Epilogue is most moving.

The New Batman Adventures is indeed divisive, it's a drop down in quality from Batman: The Animated Series in writing but especially the redesigns. Nearly all of them suck especially The Joker and The Riddler. Bruce Wayne is less warm in this than B:TAS, he's more terse.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Mask of the Phantasm is arguably the best Batman movie, animation or otherwise. My god, the scene where Bruce is at his parents grave begging them to tell him its ok to stop being Batman is so heart wrenching. Best work Kevin Conroy has ever done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, the animation style change when they transitioned to The New Batman Adventures was to help integrate the established Batman stuff into crossovers with the ongoing Superman series as well as cutting costs. I'd always like to talk more people into getting into Superman: The Animated Series (the best on-screen Superman and some of the best of the DCAU-- terribly underrated compared to the adjacent Bat content), but without pushing too hard, the crossover episodes that are categorized as Superman episodes in most listings are:

• World's Finest: Parts 1-3
  • Knight Time
  • The Demon Reborn

If you're looking for supplemental New Batman Adventures content @NikoBaltimore but don't want to dive all the way in on S:TAS, I highly recommend those episodes. If I'm reading the wiki correctly, I believe the Livewire/Supergirl episode is packaged among the Batman episodes. 

Tagging @The Natural just to check in on how much of the crossover stuff he's seen. 

For shits and gigs, here's the opening title sequence for The New Batman/Superman Adventures that aired for years when these were originally running but didn't make the cut for my disc collection for either series:

Re: the JLU episode Epilogue @(BP)mentioned above, @NikoBaltimore SPOILER WARNING so probably don't click if you care

Spoiler

the appeal of the Batman/Ace moment is clear and kind of undeniable, but I hate what they did to Terry in that episode. Going off of how much of a drag that is, and how fun and invested in the lower-tier characters the rest of the series is, I'd rank it as lower-tier JLU. Still, a solid recommendation for anyone who's just there for the Batman of it all. 

Re: Batman Beyond, it's okay. I think it's somewhat telling that some of the most affecting episodes (and certainly the movie) center either on Bruce or characters from B:TAS. Of course most of the other series in the DCAU are coming to the table with decades of stories to draw on, and this has to carry the weight of being a new thing. It's fine, but I'm definitely in the minority of thinking it fails to live up to the Batman, Superman, and Justice League shows. Plenty to love, but I don't tout it as hard as others. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

Mask of the Phantasm is arguably the best Batman movie, animation or otherwise. My god, the scene where Bruce is at his parents grave begging them to tell him its ok to stop being Batman is so heart wrenching. Best work Kevin Conroy has ever done.

I love Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Every now and then I think I should have it #1. That scene you mention is a powerful one. My favourite Batman scene of all time comes from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and it's:

Here's my recent Facebook post about it:

This scene from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) is my #1 Batman moment and that covers a lot of ground! Why? For what led up to it and the moment of. The flashbacks to Bruce Wayne's frustrations that criminals don't fear him when fighting crime, anguish not keeping his promise to avenge his murdered parents and engagement rejected. This leads Bruce Wayne to assume the mantle of Batman. 

We see Bruce Wayne in shadows putting his gloves and utility belt on as Alfred Pennyworth hands him his cowl. Bruce Wayne then turns round as Batman for the first time. Alfred is shocked seeing the child he helped raised like that and says out loud "My God!" set to Shirley Walker's score. The Birth of Batman. Getting shivers thinking about it. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a classic coming from the legendary Batman: The Animated Series.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I love Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Every now and then I think I should have it #1. That scene you mention is a powerful one. My favourite Batman scene of all time comes from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and it's:

Here's my recent Facebook post about it:

This scene from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) is my #1 Batman moment and that covers a lot of ground! Why? For what led up to it and the moment of. The flashbacks to Bruce Wayne's frustrations that criminals don't fear him when fighting crime, anguish not keeping his promise to avenge his murdered parents and engagement rejected. This leads Bruce Wayne to assume the mantle of Batman. 

We see Bruce Wayne in shadows putting his gloves and utility belt on as Alfred Pennyworth hands him his cowl. Bruce Wayne then turns round as Batman for the first time. Alfred is shocked seeing the child he helped raised like that and says out loud "My God!" set to Shirley Walker's score. The Birth of Batman. Getting shivers thinking about it. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a classic coming from the legendary Batman: The Animated Series.

God I love that scene too. Especially Alfred's reaction. Everything about this is just PERFECT. God, i need to go watch this again

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

God I love that scene too. Especially Alfred's reaction. Everything about this is just PERFECT. God, i need to go watch this again

Couldn't agree more. Long odds happening but with Batman: The Animated Series turning 30 this year and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 30 next year, I'm hoping it'll get a re-release in cinemas.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

IIRC, the animation style change when they transitioned to The New Batman Adventures was to help integrate the established Batman stuff into crossovers with the ongoing Superman series as well as cutting costs. I'd always like to talk more people into getting into Superman: The Animated Series (the best on-screen Superman and some of the best of the DCAU-- terribly underrated compared to the adjacent Bat content), but without pushing too hard, the crossover episodes that are categorized as Superman episodes in most listings are:

• World's Finest: Parts 1-3
  • Knight Time
  • The Demon Reborn

If you're looking for supplemental New Batman Adventures content @NikoBaltimore but don't want to dive all the way in on S:TAS, I highly recommend those episodes. If I'm reading the wiki correctly, I believe the Livewire/Supergirl episode is packaged among the Batman episodes. 

Tagging @The Natural just to check in on how much of the crossover stuff he's seen. 

For shits and gigs, here's the opening title sequence for The New Batman/Superman Adventures that aired for years when these were originally running but didn't make the cut for my disc collection for either series:

Re: the JLU episode Epilogue @(BP)mentioned above, @NikoBaltimore SPOILER WARNING so probably don't click if you care

Reveal hidden contents

the appeal of the Batman/Ace moment is clear and kind of undeniable, but I hate what they did to Terry in that episode. Going off of how much of a drag that is, and how fun and invested in the lower-tier characters the rest of the series is, I'd rank it as lower-tier JLU. Still, a solid recommendation for anyone who's just there for the Batman of it all. 

Re: Batman Beyond, it's okay. I think it's somewhat telling that some of the most affecting episodes (and certainly the movie) center either on Bruce or characters from B:TAS. Of course most of the other series in the DCAU are coming to the table with decades of stories to draw on, and this has to carry the weight of being a new thing. It's fine, but I'm definitely in the minority of thinking it fails to live up to the Batman, Superman, and Justice League shows. Plenty to love, but I don't tout it as hard as others. 

Thanks for the tag, @John from Cincinnati. I've seen World's Finest and Knight Time but not The Demon Reborn. Superman: The Animated Series wasn't shown in the UK as much as Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond where it's called Batman of the Future, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited were. I really liked Batman of the Future as some of my favourite stories involve the mentor guiding the replacement or the replacement wanting to do justice to their teacher who is no longer with them. I also really liked Justice League and Justice League Unlimited preferring the former to the latter. I'm with you on Epilogue and what was done to Terry McGinnis.

Edited by The Natural

I never had much issue with the New Batman Adventures. Its a step down from TAS but still generally good. Honestly, I don't really separate it much from TAS. Same with JL and JLU.

Superman TAS is legit great and similar to Batman TAS. For me JL/JLU is no. 1 with Batman TAS/TNBA no. 2 Superman is firmly in that no. 3 spot and probably stronger than the weaker seasons from JL/JLU and TNBA.

Batman Beyond is solid-good. It has good creative background that builds well off of the previous DCAU before it. The things that probably worked against it was being so far and open into the future meant a lot more room for failure since they didn't have as much to fall back on comic inspiration wise. Return of the Joker is a damn good movie and probably the highlight of Terry's time as Batman. That might have been when he came into his own the most. I wish BB got more seasons. I think they would have gotten even better with more time.

Never had much an issue with Epilogue. Its explained a hole I think some fans purposely ignored.

Spoiler

Terry always looked way the fuck too much like Bruce to be an accident of design. He didn't stop being his own character as his personality was also so damn different from Bruce so it didn't really damage him or change him much in any real way. It just added another layer to his relationship with Bruce.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Batman Beyond is so much better than it has any right to be. Years ago I listened to an interview with either Timm or Dini where they said the BTAS team wasn’t going to be involved in the new show, but then they stepped in after hearing the WB pitch because they felt a responsibility to not let it be shit. My recollection was that it was originally going to be a Pokémon ripoff set a thousand years in the future with a Batman-inspired tribe of kids going on adventures in the wasteland. So we dodged that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would need to ask my wife to come up with comparisons between Batman and Pokemon.  I can't imagine that show being any good so good thing they stepped in.

Thanks for the recommendations, all.  I know there's going to be a ton of wrestling to catch up on from this weekend so I'll likely dip into the Batman stuff after that.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:01 AM, Phil4126 said:

FNOR0D0WUAcmxzX?format=jpg&name=medium

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping, worst case scenario, they let Legends finish out it's run on HBO Max or something if this CW sale gets even more muddy. I think Superman and Stargirl are locks to move over there, since they already have their catalogs anyway. Same for Batwoman IF it gets picked up.  These DC shows aren't expensive, and it's easy, fan pleasing content to have on the service.

• Like 1