DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Wrestling GIFs and Pics

Kang

31 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Someone’s lobbying Johnny Ace for their old job back. What is Sean Alex Riley O’Jindrak doing in the Thunderdome?!

You joke but now all I can think about was the time Andrew "Test" Martin had been long gone and had reemerged, roided bigger than Brian Cage, working those Italy tours, and Vince must have seen pics and rehired him posthaste. 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:00 AM, AxB said:

The Foto is great, but tweet kind of confuses me. Why single out the word Ringkämpfe? The poster says "Freestyle (Freistil, as opposed to greco roman) Professional (Berufs-) Wrestling (Ringkampf, Ringkämpfe Plural)" in German, why focus on the "Ringkämpfe" and the personal history of Gotch being a Holocaust survivor? Am I missing context? 

I imagine it has to do with something that someone else alluded to in a thread discussing WALTER's rebranding, that a significant number of English speakers without any knowledge of German have only come across three German words, one of them being Kampf, which they have picked out from the title of Adolf Hitler's autobiography, and then they've written the rest of the tweet from there.

• Thanks 1

Ooooh, ok. Thanks for putting some context to this. I was really weirded out by it. 

This was - seemingly - from a tournament for a "honorary prize" sponsored by a newspaper (AZ = Abendzeitung, should translate to evening news(paper)). The tournament took place in Karlsruhe, which is way down to the South of today's Germany, close to the French border, and very close to the Saarland region, which was an independent micronation back then (the tournament was held in April 1954.

I would have loved to see if the poster had more information, but as it is I'm amazed for - judging from my little knowledge I have about old school European wrestling - Karlsruhe and the region are not traditional wrestling hotbeds, and it's hard to imagine French catch influences being at work during those times.