DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Kidd Bandit has only been a Pro Wrestler for six or seven months, and their first match was on the (first?) Nightmare Factory showcase. So in ring, they haven't really scratched the surface yet. But watch the Deadlock Pro shows on YouTube, Kidd is a prominent underneath babyface on those.

They say they're fine with any and all pronouns just now, but I'm going with they/them for inclusivity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw KB at the Dark tapings at Universal the weekend of the 15th. Without ever hearing of them or knowing their story, my(and many in the crowd's) first reaction was basically a chuckling "Who the fuck is THIS??". Definitely a unique look. Without criticizing, I can easily see how KB has only been around for less than a year because the timing was way off in spots and you could just tell how green they were.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Before the show started across the arena for us was a place set up for a bunch of fans from a local assisted living place. Saw Sting and a few of the other faces come out and talk to the people there. But the one that stood out was Ron Simmons he was there from whenever they opened the doors until a few minutes before the dark match started. I need to dig it out and scan it but got a blurry picture of Ron giving a little person a piggy back ride.

not sure if Florida State's fan turf went over the FL/AL border in the 90s but he got a pretty good sounding response when I rewatched Beach Blast. I'd think that the "World Champion Ron Simmons" idea came to mind when Watts heard the response for Simmons and looked around the audience.

Unfortunately it didn't quite work out.

I know some people work from home still but I feel like the pandemic could have given them huge, huge numbers for 2020. I'd be interested to see if any streaming company made more money than in 2020.  If you are sitting at home even if you are working you are more likely to stream or watch Peacock than if you are in an office.  

Unless you're into Office/Parks & Rec reruns and WWE content Peacock doesn't offer much to justify even spending a few dollars a month. It's almost all random reruns of shows that don't have large followings with some movies sprinkled in. 

I still can't believe they made a MacGruber tv show. It started out as a one-note snl skit that wasn't particularly popular. It eventually was made into a movie that lost money. (Highlight of which was that awkward Raw appearance. I can't remember whether I loved or hated the guest host era.) A decade after the movie bombed someone decided to spend millions on a Peacock exclusive Macgruber tv show. NBC even got Will Forte back on snl to promote it. It's fifteen years of trying to make something happen. 

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Pretty cool story. Barry Darsow's son is a K9 officer and he (the son) and dog rescued a guy from freezing to death in the Northern Michigan woods.

The story had a sad ending as the man returned home only to find his vehicle missing. 

• Haha 11

Roman Reigns interview:

On Jon Moxley:

"...I think in this day and age, especially with how much awareness there is for mental health and taking care of yourself and prioritizing you, I don't think he owes anybody an apology. I think the fact that he was responsible enough to do what needed to be done and also not shy away from it, to help other people -- because you rarely talk about those people that are just 100% inspired and motivated by what Mox did -- and having that brutal honesty with himself and everyone for that matter, I don't think he owes anyone an apology," he said.

On Jon Moxley and Seth Rollins:

"I’ll always have a deep love and respect for both of those guys. Mox, me and him were super tight, within the Shield and maybe even a little bit closer. They (Moxley and Rollins) may have been super bonded through wrestling and what they had done at FCW wrestling and prior to WWE, but when it comes to whether we were wrestlers or not, me and Mox, we’re friends."

Catching Coronavirus:

"It’s definitely something serious. As someone who is vaccinated and boosted, it still got to me and I still felt the effects. While they weren’t as severe as they can be for some, it did hang around and linger for a while."

• Like 5

So apparently the WWE tried to get Jeff Hardy back because of course they did

From the new WON

Here is an update on Jeff Hardy. John Laurinaitis called Jeff Hardy to get him back a few weeks ago, including an offer to put him in the 2022 Hall of Fame class. Hardy turned it down and asked for his drug test results because he knew he wasn’t going to test positive for recreational drugs. It took Hardy and his wife six weeks to get the results back. There is a feeling right now that this is one guy they don’t want in AEW because of the realization the Hardy Boys will be revitalized as an act given the level of teams like the Young Bucks, FTR, Santana & Ortiz, Penta & Fenix and so many others. Hardy is still under contract with WWE through 3/9 so AEW can’t make a legal offer to him, but the belief is that unless he goes back to WWE, which at this point doesn’t look like it will happen, he would be AEW bound

• Like 4

So I’m just going to say it… He straight up faked it at the house show to force his firing. The WWE realized it, and are trying to convince him to change his mind now. 

I’m stunned that it worked so well. 

Didn’t this happen already with another wrestler in another company in some form in the past?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I been thinking Hardy faked his way out of his contract the entire time. And it feels like I'm saying the quiet part out loud, but anyways, what is Hardy's gimmick his entire career if not tranced-out post-rave bastion of phychedelica?

I'm genuinely amused that they were gonna celebrate this guy known to use meth in his past by labeling him The Shaman as if shamans aren't widely known for using the strongest, uh, medicines known to man. And they're surprised he just fucked off in response? It was a truly shamanistic response, teach them corporate simpletons a lesson.

It's all stupid and I still don't see what either Hardy has to offer on-screen for AEW. Granted, their ring work is probably up to snuff, but they seem like relics of wrestling nerd-dom to me.

That said, bring him on. I'm always up for a surprise. 

• Like 2

It’s going to be a while before somebody can try this again. The WWE won’t take the bait the next time. 

You’d have to fake a racist tweet for the WWE to jump the gun again, and then follow it up with a fake misunderstanding involving a minority wrestler who agrees it was a misunderstanding, and has evidence it was. Like it was a zoomed in picture, but they reveal after a week the whole picture zoomed out. 

WWE taking a turn into Disney territory is one of way of saving the E that I hadn't thought of. More steamboats, pirates, animals, and romance, please. A castle-tron? Why not? 

There only other choice is bringing back Virgil to script, produce, and star as active in-ring wrestling champion, general manager, and uniter of divided Raw and SmackDown brands. 

19 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Y'know as much as I selfishly hope for *more* when it comes to Zayn (and Owens) and would love all of my favorite wrestlers to be in one organization because I am a lazy consumer of wrestling, I really get what he's saying here. As the roster continues to thin out at WWE and the number of people who could reasonably be considered veterans teeters on nonexistent, Zayn and Owens have both been consistently featured and used and kept busy doing this or that for most of their time with the company. They're not exactly neglected or underutilized, even if I think the ceiling on both of them is a lot higher than what's been given to them.  A reboot couldn't hurt anyone (see the discussion around what a post-WWE Orton would be like), but for two guys who at this point probably are not ever going to be positioned as the face of the company (if they ever were), they are about as high up the totem pole as you can get, and there's not a lot of sense in walking away from that to be shuffled around in the limited space of AEW's main event scene.

Steen and Zayn were both two real hallmarks of the time where I started getting out of WWE and started getting into the indies, maybe 13 years or so ago.  I remember when Generico was the best match on every card he was on and Steen was out there doing great matches and amazing character work but everybody, including him, thought he'd never get a shot because of his build.

Both of them re-signing is like the awesome chef who worked at that small restaurant you always loved deciding he'd rather take a career at TGI Friday's.  I'd rather see both having great matches in cool angles instead of whatever surely dumb shit they're doing now in WWE.  BUT they're both human beings and I can't begrudge them wanting to make as much money for as little work as possible after the stuff they've been through.   

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s going to be a while before somebody can try this again. The WWE won’t take the bait the next time. 

I think the catch is that they have to avoid it without putting themselves in a liable position. If someone refuses rehab then they’d have to either let them keep working anyway or pay them to sit home while they’re possibly sinking further into addiction (they did do this for Shawn for several years.)

10 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I think the catch is that they have to avoid it without putting themselves in a liable position. If someone refuses rehab then they’d have to either let them keep working anyway or pay them to sit home while they’re possibly sinking further into addiction (they did do this for Shawn for several years.)

Hard to do now that they are a publicly traded company.

On the one had, I feel like you have to be an uncaring asshole to gaslight your employer into thinking you had a drug relapse and showed up to work high/drunk.  The only reason anyone thinks this is ok is some of you hate Vince so much, you'll rationalize anything with "he deserves it".

On the other hand, if Hardy did fake a relapse. I do kind of admire his moxie.