Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling


Recommended Posts

I got one of those inferior AJ vs Shinsuke rematches at the only Wrestlemania I've been to (and probably will ever go to), 34. The match itself was disappointing, but I was much more disappointed that Nakamura didn't beat that flat earth fuckwit for the title.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

I got one of those inferior AJ vs Shinsuke rematches at the only Wrestlemania I've been to (and probably will ever go to), 34. The match itself was disappointing, but I was much more disappointed that Nakamura didn't beat that flat earth fuckwit for the title.

Yeah, AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura was a right disappointment as was Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. Wrong victors in Asuka, Styles and Lesnar. Bad calls those.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AJ Styles WWE Championship reign which lasted a year was a real disappointment. Only memorable matches were the non title vs. Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series 2017 and dropping the belt to Daniel Bryan on the last Smackdown Live before Survivor Series 2018. Styles should have dropped it to Shinsuke Nakamura at WrestleMania XXXIV but didn't and should have to Samoa Joe at SummerSlam 2018.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura was a right disappointment as was Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. Wrong victors in Asuka, Styles and Lesnar. Bad calls those.

That Brock vs Roman match was so weird. I expected a Roman hate fest, instead it was near silence and confusion for 20 minutes or three hours or however long that match lasted. The Roman Sucks manchildren and the actual children were all united in being too tired to care any more by that point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SturmCRF said:

That Brock vs Roman match was so weird. I expected a Roman hate fest, instead it was near silence and confusion for 20 minutes or three hours or however long that match lasted. The Roman Sucks manchildren and the actual children were all united in being too tired to care any more by that point.

Yeah, the year before WWE were trying to rebuild the F5 as a one and done yet Reigns kicks out of four or five and bleeds as well. I was watching live and I was fading. WrestleMania XXXII-XXXV really dragged. Too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Trivia of questionable use: Wrestlemania 7 wasn't the biggest drawing arena show in the LA area that day. The Lakers in Inglewood had a home game on the same day, beating the Supersonics in front of 17,506.

How was the smog that day?  Is it possible that this was Ice Cube's "Good Day*"?

*It has been calculated that his good day was most likely Jan 20, 1992.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

LOL. I wasn't aware of this story.

From the replies in that twitter thread (and verified):

'apparently he also forgot he isnt in japan so forgot its a 10 count not 20 in america if you go outside over there. so he got himself counted out and the match had to be re-edited'

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

 

Dear lord don't let this be WALTER  😒

I saw on Twitter that someone did some research and found that there was a Gunther Stark who was a nazi war criminal...so I'm pretty sure WWE didn't vet the name. Or did they? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I saw on Twitter that someone did some research and found that there was a Gunther Stark who was a nazi war criminal...so I'm pretty sure WWE didn't vet the name. Or did they? 

I'm going to guess no research was put in. WWE's name generator:

R.955b99b3ee96d9e0ea501060d9b659dd?rik=Y

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I saw on Twitter that someone did some research and found that there was a Gunther Stark who was a nazi war criminal...so I'm pretty sure WWE didn't vet the name. Or did they? 

Are you insinuating they did Nazi this coming?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Extra note inspired by the 1991 Rumble: Roddy Piper as the color commentator was probably a good transition post-Jesse. Having another heel immediately after Ventura would just invite comparisons and as it turned out, Bobby Heenan’s 8 year old neck injury was about to move him to the booth.

also if Jesse Ventura was around for the Slaugher storyline, that seems like something he would have hated commentating about. Not sure which non-wrestling pursuits of his were going on when he left the WWF in 1990 (I could probably go to Newsbank to find out if he was running for Mayor when he left the WWF), but the whole thing seems like something he would have wanted to not go all-in on supporting

as it turned out, wrestling fans who made signs about how Saddam was going to get an asswhipping proved to be more accurate than some of the predictions going into Desert Storm. Although the blowoff match didn’t happen at the time and only happened 12 years later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Salads said:

From the replies in that twitter thread (and verified):

'apparently he also forgot he isnt in japan so forgot its a 10 count not 20 in america if you go outside over there. so he got himself counted out and the match had to be re-edited'

That sounds like something that the WWE would do with a Japanese guy who they were pushing as a “Foreigner who doesn’t know how things work in America” character. Granted it would be really complex compared to the Long Duck Dong stuff that they’d prefer but.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Log said:

How was the smog that day?  Is it possible that this was Ice Cube's "Good Day*"?

*It has been calculated that his good day was most likely Jan 20, 1992.

It's never a good day when the Sonics lose.

Also, it's never a good day when the Sonics can't lose because they don't exist.

Basically, life is misery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...