Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Well those are two channels I’m already subscribed to.  Lol 

Here is one:

https://youtube.com/c/4wrestlingfans

And another:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCx3LhVxBD9m6IYEPY1Tpu1A

 

Also just search WWE MSG FULL SHOW (Insert year) and you will find the shows and channels uploading them.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's also the fact that college athletes can be a professional in one sport (say baseball) and continue to play their scholarship sport (say football). I'm not sure 100% that pro wrestling in 2022 would qualify but that principle is out there now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the WWE hasn't been as aggressive on this front during the Peacock era, but I had always heard that the people whose YouTube channels focused on uploading content that's on the WWE Network were gonna experience a bad time eventually.

Maybe with the DVD division folding up and Peacock handling the network in this country, the approach is a little more lax unless you're a blatant idiot about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Some NCAA rule that allows people to make money off NCAA athletes. Something that came into effect a few years ago. I'm not knowledgeable about sports but I do remember that there was an issue years ago about coaches making money off athletes and the athletes not getting a crumb but according to Haas because Pro Wrestling isn't really good sport Vince gets to make bread off having these  guys under contract. I'm someone else can explain it better than me

It sounds like Haas either doesn’t understand how NIL works (it’s basically just a sponsorship deal—athletes get paid, companies get the rub) or is drastically overestimating the marketing value of having collegiate wrestlers, track athletes, and women basketball players representing WWE.

Gable Stevenson is unique, in that him potentially repping WWE during the Olympics in 2024 could be a big deal (presuming that’s something he’s doing). But, in general, the types of athletes they targeted in this first batch of signings have largely come from low-visibility, non-revenue sports. I don’t know that having Alabama’s shot put champion rocking the scratch W is going to draw a lot of money for Vince.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

that's because they're an entertainment company.

I mean, every Pro Wrestling company is already sort of an entertainment company, it's really a matter of how entertained you are by what they're doing

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think the WWE hasn't been as aggressive on this front during the Peacock era, but I had always heard that the people whose YouTube channels focused on uploading content that's on the WWE Network were gonna experience a bad time eventually.

Maybe with the DVD division folding up and Peacock handling the network in this country, the approach is a little more lax unless you're a blatant idiot about it?

Depends… A lot of those channels that post old syndicated squash match shows, don’t really get a lot of views(Somewhere under the thousands), don’t really get noticed, and don’t get popped. But I have noticed a channel like MarkyD, that gets a surprising amount of views, has been popped for using WWE’s licensed footage. So I think a lot of it has to do with visibility.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The DMCA algorithm focuses on channels that are monetized.  If you're small, under the radar, and not getting any ad revenue,  you usually don't get noticed.

They care more about if you're making money off their stuff than if you're just reposting it.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

 

All of this though there's very entertainment to go with.

I've said past two years my interest in WWE is at its lowest ever for the senile old man in charge with wrestlers up shit creek as a result through bad booking. I became a fan of wrestling as a five year old through the WWF. Bret Hart, Roddy Piper and The Undertaker. I'm now 36. I've stuck through the good times and the bad times. I stayed at the darkest point, the Chris Benoit double murder suicide in June 2007. The way this company treats people is such a turnoff from those getting fired like William Regal. Regal for fuck's sake. Then you see the people WWE associates with, bringing F'n Hulk Hogan back and the relationship with Saudi Arabia. Morally bankrupt so I'm thinking of cashing out and it sucks as I want to support the talent but it's getting harder to do so for the given reasons. It's the closest I'm coming to saying enough is enough and it's time for a change as the late, great Owen Hart says.

go-for-it-you-can-do-it.gif

The amount of time & energy you spend reposting images of the WWE, your favorites thereof and the company's merch shows your enthusiastic & genuine fandom. Your commentary is insightful. You don't just like the WWE, and there is even more out there. Don't be a-scared, use that energy for the light, my son - step away from thee Dark Side...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

With all due respect, saying that Sasha Banks isn't a top star in WWE is the opposite version of the same energy you're complaining about.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say she wasn't a star. I'm pretty sure I said she isn't as big a star as one dude was implying, and that she isn't a big enough star to elevate anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kinda want to tell that guy to please don’t do that shit. If you aren’t going to upload the actual original footage, with intact audio, then please don’t bother.

Though he has uploaded some stuff like that. But I hate that he’s posting the WWE Networks edits.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Didn't Hall and Nash also get t-shirt or promo money though? I remember hearing one of them say that's the reason that they and Hogan always wore nWo t-shirts whenever they were doing anything on camera. It would count as a promotional appearance or something like that and they got extra money. 

Now that you mention it I know for a fact Hogan got a bonus for wearing nWo shirts on TV. I don't believe Hall & Nash had that kind of bonus tho. Hogan had bonuses for PPVs he worked. Every Nitro he worked he got a bonus. He got shirt bonuses for wearing certain merch. Like him wearing the his nWo shirt was some kind of brand ambassador bonus or some shit like that. Basically he's using his likeness to promote the sales so he would get a bonus for that. But Hogan's deals were structured totally different from everyone else on the roster.

Beyond Hogan, no one else on the roster got bonuses. Not even Hall & Nash, or Goldberg or Bret Hart. Everyone was salary. Hogan was too. But he just had the pull to get ppv points and weird ambassador clauses and shit. All of the Hall & Nash nWo merch stories I've heard about how they still make six figures to this day off the nWo mech via WWE. Bischoff has said a million times on his podcasts that WCW had no kind of merchandising agreements with guys and up until the nWo they didn't even turn a profit on the merchandise.

The only other bonus income I can think of for a WCW guy was Savage was able to keep his Slim Jim sponsorship. That paid him a crazy amount. But that wasn't coming from WCW. That came from Slim Jim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fun thing about not watching WWE is that it's still there. Like, if something fucking awesome happens, you can dip back in to watch that match/angle/segment and then go right back to largely ignoring them. Their booking style means that you couldn't possibly be lost, no matter how long you've been away. I haven't watched a full episode of WWE programming in probably a decade now but, simultaneously, have seen most everything that mattered. The only thing I make time for is the Royal Rumble, but that's just nostalgia for me.

My playlist project keeps me busy, watching stuff that I know I'll love. Right now, I'm mostly knee deep in a combination of cage matches and Mick Foley footage, but I can put that down and watch whatever at anytime and it's great. I'm not sure I've ever watched more pro wrestling. Both in amount and variety. Realized the other day that I'm about a month behind on AEW, but I watched most of 1984 World Class in that same timeframe.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Beyond Hogan, no one else on the roster got bonuses. Not even Hall & Nash, or Goldberg or Bret Hart. Everyone was salary. Hogan was too. But he just had the pull to get ppv points and weird ambassador clauses and shit. All of the Hall & Nash nWo merch stories I've heard about how they still make six figures to this day off the nWo mech via WWE. Bischoff has said a million times on his podcasts that WCW had no kind of merchandising agreements with guys and up until the nWo they didn't even turn a profit on the merchandise.
 

Didn't Jericho say in his book (or maybe it was Death of WCW?) that a certain % of action figures were set to scan as Hogan at Walmart? You pick up the Raven figure, take it to the checkout but then on the receipt it said "Hollywood Hogan Action Figure" and Hogan got paid the bonus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't checked the math, but you could watch 3 episodes of a one hour long wrestling show in the same time that it would take to watch/stream an entire 3 hour episode of Raw or Nitro. Which seems like a solid argument for just watching the shorter stuff?

For the "WWE is an entertainment company stuff".. they likely have more wrestling per hour these days than a bunch of times in their history, it's just that the product doesn't inspire the fans to really get into what they're watching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People talk about Austin pops. Ric Flair’s pops are just as loud. The man was a one pep rally. If your show is dragging a bit, just bring him out for a crazy promo with a mad hatter grin the whole time. He doesn’t have multiple settings like his 80’s version, he’s just one version of Flair, the crazy one.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shane said:

The fun thing about not watching WWE is that it's still there. Like, if something fucking awesome happens, you can dip back in to watch that match/angle/segment and then go right back to largely ignoring them. Their booking style means that you couldn't possibly be lost, no matter how long you've been away. I haven't watched a full episode of WWE programming in probably a decade now but, simultaneously, have seen most everything that mattered. The only thing I make time for is the Royal Rumble, but that's just nostalgia for me.

My playlist project keeps me busy, watching stuff that I know I'll love. Right now, I'm mostly knee deep in a combination of cage matches and Mick Foley footage, but I can put that down and watch whatever at anytime and it's great. I'm not sure I've ever watched more pro wrestling. Both in amount and variety. Realized the other day that I'm about a month behind on AEW, but I watched most of 1984 World Class in that same timeframe.

This is where I'm at. I haven't watched regularly in at least a couple years, but I might check out the Rumble because it's the Rumble and I'll circle back if they manage to put something watchable on tv.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shane said:

The fun thing about not watching WWE is that it's still there. Like, if something fucking awesome happens, you can dip back in to watch that match/angle/segment and then go right back to largely ignoring them. Their booking style means that you couldn't possibly be lost, no matter how long you've been away. I haven't watched a full episode of WWE programming in probably a decade now but, simultaneously, have seen most everything that mattered. The only thing I make time for is the Royal Rumble, but that's just nostalgia for me.

My playlist project keeps me busy, watching stuff that I know I'll love. Right now, I'm mostly knee deep in a combination of cage matches and Mick Foley footage, but I can put that down and watch whatever at anytime and it's great. I'm not sure I've ever watched more pro wrestling. Both in amount and variety. Realized the other day that I'm about a month behind on AEW, but I watched most of 1984 World Class in that same timeframe.

I'm still subscribed to Peacock, and I probably wouldn't have unsubscribed to the Network if I still had that. I'd rather watch I PPV a month than spend 2 to hours a week watching Raw and Smackdown every week for free. The PPVs are always decent at best worth $4 and most of the PPVs even if it's really good  I rarely come out of them thinking like I got to watch Raw or Smackdown. 

I've thought about unsubscribing and resubscribing to New Japan World because I unsubscribed when the Pandemic started after Wrestle Kingdom and the Shutdown and I never resubscribed when they started back up. I was way more invested in New Japan overall but there seems to be to New Japan's with the American Contengents and the Natives in Japan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Depends… A lot of those channels that post old syndicated squash match shows, don’t really get a lot of views(Somewhere under the thousands), don’t really get noticed, and don’t get popped. But I have noticed a channel like MarkyD, that gets a surprising amount of views, has been popped for using WWE’s licensed footage. So I think a lot of it has to do with visibility.

Damn, that's a dilemma then! If you find a cool little channel with neat stuff in it, the best way to help them exist in the future is to not watch the channel! Aaargh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The story, I believe, is that Jerichos GF (now wife) bought his his figure and it rang up as Hogan. 

That happened to me at Toys R Us back in the day...I distinctly remember it...I bought two or three figures and they all rang up Hogan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...