DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Was watching the 91 Rumble today and damn would it be great if they re-did the cheesy music and had Vince rattle off the names of the 30 men and 30 women.  I guess with the surprises it would make it hard but damn would it be fun. 

I wish they did something like that, when Vince had the set fall on him. Like, the bump on the head reverted him back to over-the-top announcer mode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Why is the Rumble tonight? I thought it was supposed to always be on the Sunday between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl?

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Was watching the 91 Rumble today and damn would it be great if they re-did the cheesy music and had Vince rattle off the names of the 30 men and 30 women.  I guess with the surprises it would make it hard but damn would it be fun. 

I’m sure this got brought up before and it’s where short lived board meme “AN USO!!!!” originated.

It would be great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

NFL had the extra week this season and wanted to keep the  PPV in January so they picked tonight. NO UFC tonight either and I don't think Vince even knows what Bellator is

Bruce! What the hell is this "Bella Tour?!"

• Haha 2

so, Wrestling PPVs on Saturday nights vs Wrestling PPVs on Sunday nights? is Sunday night actually better for reasons other than "we've done it this way for years"?

At the very least, Saturday Night does mean that when the WWE inevitably runs long, they won't lose a portion of the audience purely because there's school tomorrow morning. Although some of the more Money Demo focused people might believe (or will be able to prove) that 18-49s are busier on Saturday Nights than Sunday Nights

• Like 1

So I woke up, and I left the TV on with YouTube up. It was one of those auto play things where they play nearest interest. As soon as I open my eyes I see it’s the Rick Martel RF shoot. It’s near the end of it, and Martel is explaining why he’s retired. I thought it was just one freak injury that caused it, but the way he explains it he says it was more of a combination of things.

For one he didn’t like how stiff Booker worked(Kinda basically said he didn’t care for the man). He hated the Harlem Hangover. It apparently gave him a nasty concussion. The freak injury when he landed on the ropes. Then in a match with Stevie Ray(Who Rick actually really likes), he got a neck injury trying to protect his knee on a Slapjack(Ray’s finisher). The way he tells it, it sounds like he could’ve returned, but wrestling got so much more stiffer around that time, he saw the writing on the wall, and retired.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since its on Peacock and not actually a ppv anymore, is there really a difference to the bottom line? Do they (as opposed to Comcast) care if people watch it live or later? 

Would think that there’s some bragging rights potential for peak live viewership numbers. If said numbers were clearly higher than their TV numbers.

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I woke up, and I left the TV on with YouTube up. It was one of those auto play things where they play nearest interest. As soon as I open my eyes I see it’s the Rick Martel RF shoot. It’s near the end of it, and Martel is explaining why he’s retired. I thought it was just one freak injury that caused it, but the way he explains it he says it was more of a combination of things.

For one he didn’t like how stiff Booker worked(Kinda basically said he didn’t care for the man). He hated the Harlem Hangover. It apparently gave him a nasty concussion. The freak injury when he landed on the ropes. Then in a match with Stevie Ray(Who Rick actually really likes), he got a neck injury trying to protect his knee on a Slapjack(Ray’s finisher). The way he tells it, it sounds like he could’ve returned, but wrestling got so much more stiffer around that time, he saw the writing on the wall, and retired.

Martel's WCW run was fun as hell.

And yeah, Booker was stiff and dangerous. The way he injured Martel with that reckless toss was some shit. I was a huge fan of Booker, but Martel is in the right here.

On the other hand, I thought Booker and Finlay were always a fun matchup in WCW because Finlay would be stiff as shit, too. 

• Like 3

Today's random wrestling reference out of nowhere ...

During this weekend's SiriusXM 80s countdown show, which looks at the top 40 Billboard songs of a given week in the 80s, Alan Hunter (former MTV VJ) introduced the #24 song from this week in 1986 by talking about the below video ...

Also, Alan Hunter was apparently close enough to Bob Orton to call him "Bobby."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, colonial said:

Today's random wrestling reference out of nowhere ...

During this weekend's SiriusXM 80s countdown show, which looks at the top 40 Billboard songs of a given week in the 80s, Alan Hunter (former MTV VJ) introduced the #24 song from this week in 1986 by talking about the below video ...

Also, Alan Hunter was apparently close enough to Bob Orton to call him "Bobby."

I head that when I was in the car yesterday! They also used the song for the Hulk-Savage breakup and maybe Hulk-Orndorff. 

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

The actual video for that song is so weird. It’s just Browne and Clemons in a living room with the band playing. Darryl Hannah is on the couch drawing a picture and she sings a bit. Browne and Clemons sing in each other’s face VERY closely. 

We recently got YouTube tv and it has MTV Classic. We just leave that on as background noise, but occasionally it pays off. 

• Like 2