DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Watching Rumble 1990 right now. I didn’t realize until re-watch that entrants are mostly coming in face, heel, face, heel… Like it’s War Games. It definitely works when some of the first ten entrants are Dusty, Andre, Piper, Jake, and Savage.

I guess it goes to shit once all the territory stars are gone, and you have to rely on the bad acts, as well as the un-over stars of the later 90’s, and beyond into the 00’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Horatio said:

It's all stupid and I still don't see what either Hardy has to offer on-screen for AEW. Granted, their ring work is probably up to snuff, but they seem like relics of wrestling nerd-dom to me.

I think AEW would welcome a Hardy Boyz reunion. Billy Gunn, Jericho, Matt Hardy, Christian, JR, Big Show, Mark Henry, Tazz, Dustin plus Tony S and Sting from WCW. Lot of Ex Attitude Era guys in the company either Tony K likes his late 90s early 2000 nostalgia or Turner likes having those guys on the show.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

As far as I understand they can't do indys unless they get an agreement from WWE allowing it. Now WWE has allowed this in the past a bunch with the agreement being no TV and no indy's that release DVDs nationally (like through Smart Mark or Highspots, as well as events on Fite and the like. But as a rule, no working for anyone else until the 90 days is up.

Thanks for the clarification. Has that changed over the years? I swear I remember hearing someone like Raven say that he was able to do Indies as long as nothing was televised or no dvds were sold but don't remember him mentioning that he had to clear anything with the WWF/E. They can do autograph signings and appearances though if I understand correctly. Jeff is doing meet and greets already. Maybe that falls outside of WWE's sphere because he's also doing a concert?

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news-wwe-news-jeff-hardy-announces-tour-following-release

Traditionally Vince has always been big about letting people fulfill their obligations that they've already agreed to before coming in when signed. There was a period in the mid-90s when business was so down that he let a lot of the undercard work indies too. Those are the big things that come to mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Traditionally Vince has always been big about letting people fulfill their obligations that they've already agreed to before coming in when signed. There was a period in the mid-90s when business was so down that he let a lot of the undercard work indies too. Those are the big things that come to mind.

there was a period of time when Brian Lee was about to come into the WWF around the Underfaker time where Lee asked Vince about coming in immediately despite still working for Smoky (which, of course, was run by WWF on-screen personality Jim Cornette).. which led to Vince relaying the message to Jim under the premise of "if he'd do that to you, he'd do that to me"

Of course that wasn't always the case, especially in the 80s

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Jeff is doing meet and greets already. Maybe that falls outside of WWE's sphere because he's also doing a concert?

Anything that isn't a combat sport or appearing on a wrestling promotion's event would be allowed. Like not that he'd want to but he's free to drive for Uber or get a job at the post office right away or whatever lol. Concerts & signings are allowed (as long as it isn't a signing at a wrestling show). Just no wrestling stuff. I say combat sports because I would assume WWE would view someone showing up to hype a fight in UFC as breaking the no compete as well.

I do think the language changed in the mid to late 00s. When Raven was fired in 2003 he opted out of the no compete to show up in early TNA and start a hot angle right away. He said no I don't want 90 extra days of pay, I want my freedom. I'm fairly sure you can't opt out of the non compete anymore. Because people like Matt Hardy were chomping at the bit to get in AEW. He certainly would have opted out of 90 days of pay to get his freedom if he was able to. So they have seemingly done away with the voluntary opt out.

• Like 1

looking around YouTube, sorted by "upload date" and.. Brazo de Plata Jr is predicting the end of Covid in 2025. Congrats everybody.

Luchador and Astrologist has some potential for a gimmick. Especially if there's a different luchador who is working a Walter Mercado gimmick to do an astrologer vs astrologer feud.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Was watching the 91 Rumble today and damn would it be great if they re-did the cheesy music and had Vince rattle off the names of the 30 men and 30 women.  I guess with the surprises it would make it hard but damn would it be fun. 

I wish they did something like that, when Vince had the set fall on him. Like, the bump on the head reverted him back to over-the-top announcer mode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Why is the Rumble tonight? I thought it was supposed to always be on the Sunday between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl?

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Was watching the 91 Rumble today and damn would it be great if they re-did the cheesy music and had Vince rattle off the names of the 30 men and 30 women.  I guess with the surprises it would make it hard but damn would it be fun. 

I’m sure this got brought up before and it’s where short lived board meme “AN USO!!!!” originated.

It would be great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

NFL had the extra week this season and wanted to keep the  PPV in January so they picked tonight. NO UFC tonight either and I don't think Vince even knows what Bellator is

Bruce! What the hell is this "Bella Tour?!"

• Haha 2

so, Wrestling PPVs on Saturday nights vs Wrestling PPVs on Sunday nights? is Sunday night actually better for reasons other than "we've done it this way for years"?

At the very least, Saturday Night does mean that when the WWE inevitably runs long, they won't lose a portion of the audience purely because there's school tomorrow morning. Although some of the more Money Demo focused people might believe (or will be able to prove) that 18-49s are busier on Saturday Nights than Sunday Nights

• Like 1