DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Mature, motivated Orton is actually really good.

He had huge periods where he would just be going through the motions for months on end but when he's working a program that he enjoys he's really fucking good.

I meant I’d think he was in the camp of seeing it as a business/job, and not worried about the “art”. I think you can be a good/great pro but not be concerned with the aesthetics. 

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

My preparation for the AEW Dynamite episode tonight involves watching Beach Blast 92. I noticed at least 4 different old women in the front row during Pillman/Flamingo. Suspect those fans are gonna love Sting/Cactus, falls count anywhere on the Gulf Coast

Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude at WCW Beach Blast 1992 is the best Iron Man match in the history of the stipulation. Gave it *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Mature, motivated Orton is actually really good.

He had huge periods where he would just be going through the motions for months on end but when he's working a program that he enjoys he's really fucking good.

This is why I was hopeful that Randy would leave when AEW started. I think he'd do some good work in other promotions. I want to see him vs. Okada or Tanahashi. Hell, even Yano.

• Like 2

Can't see Randy Orton changing to be honest. I think last time I saw him was against Kofi on SummerSlam and he controlled and kicked Kofi's ass so good it really bothered me that he couldn't or wouldn't talk management into giving him one more title run even if just to drop it back to Kofi within a month or two. Kofi sucked as champion and I guess they wanted him to drop the title to Brock, but WWE is such a headscratcher under an analytical eye I just had to give it up. And no, Orton is not a guy I miss. He's the same as all WWE guys not named Brock: ever stupider for being there. Am not anti-Vince either; I understand he basically steps in and tweaks the shows here and there, and man, their writers must really suck if they come up with stuff worse than what we get on TV in general. 

Orton in AEW is cringey at best. Regardless of how he wrestles, ego is too much a part of what he's good at and I don't see that meshing with AEW at any point. Would rather see him grow old and THEN take his act to Japan, culminating with some heavy violence against Kento Miahara and Jake Lee (they still active?)...

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

did the main event ending in a 30 minute time limit draw foreshadow your Army experience?

it was a good match, although having a 30 minute draw on the same show as a 30 minute Iron Man match was sort of a decision. But they also managed to tape a Clash before Beach Blast that aired after Beach Blast and had Steiners/Gordy&Williams on both shows

I was just happy to see Gordy and Williams again. Had seen both a few times as a kid when UWF came to the area. Plus by the main event dad had a few beer in him and I was busy getting the keys and letting him know I would drive us home.

Before the show started across the arena for us was a place set up for a bunch of fans from a local assisted living place. Saw Sting and a few of the other faces come out and talk to the people there. But the one that stood out was Ron Simmons he was there from whenever they opened the doors until a few minutes before the dark match started. I need to dig it out and scan it but got a blurry picture of Ron giving a little person a piggy back ride.

• Like 11

Y'know at first im thinking this is someone cosplaying as one of the Bella twins right

Then I see its Kidd Bandit and I'm going, hey I think I seen Bandit on AEW dark or one of the YouTube shows and if I remember someone had posted a Samus Aran cosplay in one of the threads by KB before

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Y'know at first im thinking this is someone cosplaying as one of the Bella twins right

Then I see its Kidd Bandit and I'm going, hey I think I seen Bandit on AEW dark or one of the YouTube shows and if I remember someone had posted a Samus Aran cosplay in one of the threads by KB before

I had thoughts at first but told myself to settle down. 

I dig KB's web presence but have yet to see them wrestle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Y'know as much as I selfishly hope for *more* when it comes to Zayn (and Owens) and would love all of my favorite wrestlers to be in one organization because I am a lazy consumer of wrestling, I really get what he's saying here. As the roster continues to thin out at WWE and the number of people who could reasonably be considered veterans teeters on nonexistent, Zayn and Owens have both been consistently featured and used and kept busy doing this or that for most of their time with the company. They're not exactly neglected or underutilized, even if I think the ceiling on both of them is a lot higher than what's been given to them.  A reboot couldn't hurt anyone (see the discussion around what a post-WWE Orton would be like), but for two guys who at this point probably are not ever going to be positioned as the face of the company (if they ever were), they are about as high up the totem pole as you can get, and there's not a lot of sense in walking away from that to be shuffled around in the limited space of AEW's main event scene.

• Like 2

Kidd Bandit has only been a Pro Wrestler for six or seven months, and their first match was on the (first?) Nightmare Factory showcase. So in ring, they haven't really scratched the surface yet. But watch the Deadlock Pro shows on YouTube, Kidd is a prominent underneath babyface on those.

They say they're fine with any and all pronouns just now, but I'm going with they/them for inclusivity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw KB at the Dark tapings at Universal the weekend of the 15th. Without ever hearing of them or knowing their story, my(and many in the crowd's) first reaction was basically a chuckling "Who the fuck is THIS??". Definitely a unique look. Without criticizing, I can easily see how KB has only been around for less than a year because the timing was way off in spots and you could just tell how green they were.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Before the show started across the arena for us was a place set up for a bunch of fans from a local assisted living place. Saw Sting and a few of the other faces come out and talk to the people there. But the one that stood out was Ron Simmons he was there from whenever they opened the doors until a few minutes before the dark match started. I need to dig it out and scan it but got a blurry picture of Ron giving a little person a piggy back ride.

not sure if Florida State's fan turf went over the FL/AL border in the 90s but he got a pretty good sounding response when I rewatched Beach Blast. I'd think that the "World Champion Ron Simmons" idea came to mind when Watts heard the response for Simmons and looked around the audience.

Unfortunately it didn't quite work out.

I know some people work from home still but I feel like the pandemic could have given them huge, huge numbers for 2020. I'd be interested to see if any streaming company made more money than in 2020.  If you are sitting at home even if you are working you are more likely to stream or watch Peacock than if you are in an office.  

Unless you're into Office/Parks & Rec reruns and WWE content Peacock doesn't offer much to justify even spending a few dollars a month. It's almost all random reruns of shows that don't have large followings with some movies sprinkled in. 

I still can't believe they made a MacGruber tv show. It started out as a one-note snl skit that wasn't particularly popular. It eventually was made into a movie that lost money. (Highlight of which was that awkward Raw appearance. I can't remember whether I loved or hated the guest host era.) A decade after the movie bombed someone decided to spend millions on a Peacock exclusive Macgruber tv show. NBC even got Will Forte back on snl to promote it. It's fifteen years of trying to make something happen. 

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Pretty cool story. Barry Darsow's son is a K9 officer and he (the son) and dog rescued a guy from freezing to death in the Northern Michigan woods.

The story had a sad ending as the man returned home only to find his vehicle missing. 

• Haha 11

Roman Reigns interview:

On Jon Moxley:

"...I think in this day and age, especially with how much awareness there is for mental health and taking care of yourself and prioritizing you, I don't think he owes anybody an apology. I think the fact that he was responsible enough to do what needed to be done and also not shy away from it, to help other people -- because you rarely talk about those people that are just 100% inspired and motivated by what Mox did -- and having that brutal honesty with himself and everyone for that matter, I don't think he owes anyone an apology," he said.

On Jon Moxley and Seth Rollins:

"I’ll always have a deep love and respect for both of those guys. Mox, me and him were super tight, within the Shield and maybe even a little bit closer. They (Moxley and Rollins) may have been super bonded through wrestling and what they had done at FCW wrestling and prior to WWE, but when it comes to whether we were wrestlers or not, me and Mox, we’re friends."

Catching Coronavirus:

"It’s definitely something serious. As someone who is vaccinated and boosted, it still got to me and I still felt the effects. While they weren’t as severe as they can be for some, it did hang around and linger for a while."

• Like 5