DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

On 1/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, AxB said:

Have you not heard of Donnie Janela?

(GCW ran a show in Tullahoma TN, booked a bunch of local Tennessee wrestlers to fill out the card, and they noticed that one of them looked just like Joey Janela. So Joey "researched his family tree" and found out they were actually cousins! So Donnie took the Janela name because of course he did. He also goes by Kung Fu Janela, or Donnie Primetime in his AEW Dark bookings)

That's my hometown, so fuckin' weird. You're talking about the WOMBAT shows I'm assuming. All I remember is that the first WOMBAT show had Doug Gilbert versus Mance Warner. Pretty sure it was co-promoted with Tullahoma's local fed, SWF (and ran at the arena they use - named after Gypsy Joe).

17 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I was thinking the other day how the Dante/Team Taz angle might have gone if Dante had stayed with the group but remained a face. It got me wondering if this has ever happened: a group or faction where one member is a babyface while the rest are heels, or vice versa? If there are obvious examples that I should remember from my 40 year fandom, I apologize. I'm having memory issues and have forgotten a lot of things that I might once have known. 

I guess you could sort of consider Sting's Horsemen run in late 1989/early 1990.  The Horsemen were ostensibly faces but nobody, except for our sweet summer child Stinger, believed that for a second.

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Well, with HHH being unceremoniously cast aside for run-of-the-mill corporate grifter, it will be even more interesting to see what happens when Vince dies/is otherwise incapacitated now.

WWE's relationship with Nick Khan is like when a really insecure, maybe not too good looking person who has never really had a significant other finally gets attention from someone attractive.  They're so high on the validation they're finally getting that they will make any dumb choice needed to keep it going.  Vince is just over the moon that this "legit businessman" from outside his gross carny world thinks his disgusting rasslin company is worth something.  It's pretty damn funny to see one con man outwork another like it's Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or something.

This has been my Sidney M Basil moment of the day.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Meltzer covered the AJ Ferrari thing a day or two ago.  I was kind of shocked because when I read the headlines, I thought AJ Ferrari was somebody who worked for GLOW.  ?

But seriously, I wonder how often this NIL thing will blow up in WWE's face.  It's already gross how they're firing actual wrestlers while paying college athletes who are years from become wrestlers, if ever, just because they have social media presence and popularity.  But what they really need to consider is what happens when you combine free money with the fame, immaturity, lack of accountability and judgment, and rampant narcissism present in college athletes at that level, where they're just surrounded by enablers and sycophants.  Call me just an old man yelling at clouds but throwing wads of cash at people like this high level college wrestler, who figures it's cool to try to pass three cars on a two lane road at the crest of a hill, and gets in a head-on collision...you're just asking for trouble.  Kids today, get off my lawn, yadda yadda. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

This fucking song is so awful. I even liked the stuff like the RTC WARNING or the Diesel Truck sound entrance better. 

It's hard to believe that Albert, X-Pac and Justin Credible never reunited for an indie trios event, just for the reaction that song would get.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

My preparation for the AEW Dynamite episode tonight involves watching Beach Blast 92. I noticed at least 4 different old women in the front row during Pillman/Flamingo. Suspect those fans are gonna love Sting/Cactus, falls count anywhere on the Gulf Coast

I remember them. I pointed this out last week that at several WCW events around this time, the first few rows are usually made up of older people with some kids and younger adults scattered throughout. I'm pretty sure the former was made up of folks who were fans during the heyday of their respective territories. So they likely enjoyed the shit out of Cactus and Sting. IIRC they also enjoy the hell out of the 30 minute Iron Man match challenge or whatever it was called when Steamboat makes his comeback at the end. To them, it was probably just a night at the wrestling matches.

oh man, Cactus Jack did his stupid sunset flip to the floor on the concrete, hit his leg on the rail and did it all in the front row in front of older people... all these Mobile fans kept going to shows through all the shows of questionable quality for a chance at this sort of night

14 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

It's hard to believe that Albert, X-Pac and Justin Credible never reunited for an indie trios event, just for the reaction that song would get.

I had to look up what X-Pac did at King if Trios to double check. 

I would love to see some giant media company buy the WWE out from under the McMahons just to see the spectacle of the grim lineup of misfits and carnies and washouts that would be piled up outside their corporate office when the time came to assign new people to run it and then have them all told to fuck off because they're giving it to like JJ Abrams' nephew or something.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

My preparation for the AEW Dynamite episode tonight involves watching Beach Blast 92. I noticed at least 4 different old women in the front row during Pillman/Flamingo. Suspect those fans are gonna love Sting/Cactus, falls count anywhere on the Gulf Coast

I know I show up during the Sting/Cactus jack match. 5th row right next to the entrance ramp. Going to the show was a last minute gift from my parents before I shipped out for Army BCT.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wouldn't have put Randy in the "wrestling is art" camp. 

Mature, motivated Orton is actually really good.

He had huge periods where he would just be going through the motions for months on end but when he's working a program that he enjoys he's really fucking good.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

This fucking song is so awful. I even liked the stuff like the RTC WARNING or the Diesel Truck sound entrance better. 

According to Waltman, he was just being purposely contrarian and difficult to work with when Shane McMahon told him they were going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers do theme music for him, he said no, he wanted Uncle Kracker

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

I know I show up during the Sting/Cactus jack match. 5th row right next to the entrance ramp. Going to the show was a last minute gift from my parents before I shipped out for Army BCT.

did the main event ending in a 30 minute time limit draw foreshadow your Army experience?

it was a good match, although having a 30 minute draw on the same show as a 30 minute Iron Man match was sort of a decision. But they also managed to tape a Clash before Beach Blast that aired after Beach Blast and had Steiners/Gordy&Williams on both shows

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

According to Waltman, he was just being purposely contrarian and difficult to work with when Shane McMahon told him they were going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers do theme music for him, he said no, he wanted Uncle Kracker

So it was a suicide?