DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

34 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

My preparation for the AEW Dynamite episode tonight involves watching Beach Blast 92. I noticed at least 4 different old women in the front row during Pillman/Flamingo. Suspect those fans are gonna love Sting/Cactus, falls count anywhere on the Gulf Coast

I remember them. I pointed this out last week that at several WCW events around this time, the first few rows are usually made up of older people with some kids and younger adults scattered throughout. I'm pretty sure the former was made up of folks who were fans during the heyday of their respective territories. So they likely enjoyed the shit out of Cactus and Sting. IIRC they also enjoy the hell out of the 30 minute Iron Man match challenge or whatever it was called when Steamboat makes his comeback at the end. To them, it was probably just a night at the wrestling matches.

oh man, Cactus Jack did his stupid sunset flip to the floor on the concrete, hit his leg on the rail and did it all in the front row in front of older people... all these Mobile fans kept going to shows through all the shows of questionable quality for a chance at this sort of night

14 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

It's hard to believe that Albert, X-Pac and Justin Credible never reunited for an indie trios event, just for the reaction that song would get.

I had to look up what X-Pac did at King if Trios to double check. 

I would love to see some giant media company buy the WWE out from under the McMahons just to see the spectacle of the grim lineup of misfits and carnies and washouts that would be piled up outside their corporate office when the time came to assign new people to run it and then have them all told to fuck off because they're giving it to like JJ Abrams' nephew or something.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

My preparation for the AEW Dynamite episode tonight involves watching Beach Blast 92. I noticed at least 4 different old women in the front row during Pillman/Flamingo. Suspect those fans are gonna love Sting/Cactus, falls count anywhere on the Gulf Coast

I know I show up during the Sting/Cactus jack match. 5th row right next to the entrance ramp. Going to the show was a last minute gift from my parents before I shipped out for Army BCT.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

This fucking song is so awful. I even liked the stuff like the RTC WARNING or the Diesel Truck sound entrance better. 

According to Waltman, he was just being purposely contrarian and difficult to work with when Shane McMahon told him they were going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers do theme music for him, he said no, he wanted Uncle Kracker

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

I know I show up during the Sting/Cactus jack match. 5th row right next to the entrance ramp. Going to the show was a last minute gift from my parents before I shipped out for Army BCT.

did the main event ending in a 30 minute time limit draw foreshadow your Army experience?

it was a good match, although having a 30 minute draw on the same show as a 30 minute Iron Man match was sort of a decision. But they also managed to tape a Clash before Beach Blast that aired after Beach Blast and had Steiners/Gordy&Williams on both shows

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

According to Waltman, he was just being purposely contrarian and difficult to work with when Shane McMahon told him they were going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers do theme music for him, he said no, he wanted Uncle Kracker

So it was a suicide?

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Mature, motivated Orton is actually really good.

He had huge periods where he would just be going through the motions for months on end but when he's working a program that he enjoys he's really fucking good.

I meant I’d think he was in the camp of seeing it as a business/job, and not worried about the “art”. I think you can be a good/great pro but not be concerned with the aesthetics. 

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude at WCW Beach Blast 1992 is the best Iron Man match in the history of the stipulation. Gave it *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Mature, motivated Orton is actually really good.

He had huge periods where he would just be going through the motions for months on end but when he's working a program that he enjoys he's really fucking good.

This is why I was hopeful that Randy would leave when AEW started. I think he'd do some good work in other promotions. I want to see him vs. Okada or Tanahashi. Hell, even Yano.

• Like 2

Can't see Randy Orton changing to be honest. I think last time I saw him was against Kofi on SummerSlam and he controlled and kicked Kofi's ass so good it really bothered me that he couldn't or wouldn't talk management into giving him one more title run even if just to drop it back to Kofi within a month or two. Kofi sucked as champion and I guess they wanted him to drop the title to Brock, but WWE is such a headscratcher under an analytical eye I just had to give it up. And no, Orton is not a guy I miss. He's the same as all WWE guys not named Brock: ever stupider for being there. Am not anti-Vince either; I understand he basically steps in and tweaks the shows here and there, and man, their writers must really suck if they come up with stuff worse than what we get on TV in general. 

Orton in AEW is cringey at best. Regardless of how he wrestles, ego is too much a part of what he's good at and I don't see that meshing with AEW at any point. Would rather see him grow old and THEN take his act to Japan, culminating with some heavy violence against Kento Miahara and Jake Lee (they still active?)...

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

did the main event ending in a 30 minute time limit draw foreshadow your Army experience?

it was a good match, although having a 30 minute draw on the same show as a 30 minute Iron Man match was sort of a decision. But they also managed to tape a Clash before Beach Blast that aired after Beach Blast and had Steiners/Gordy&Williams on both shows

I was just happy to see Gordy and Williams again. Had seen both a few times as a kid when UWF came to the area. Plus by the main event dad had a few beer in him and I was busy getting the keys and letting him know I would drive us home.

Before the show started across the arena for us was a place set up for a bunch of fans from a local assisted living place. Saw Sting and a few of the other faces come out and talk to the people there. But the one that stood out was Ron Simmons he was there from whenever they opened the doors until a few minutes before the dark match started. I need to dig it out and scan it but got a blurry picture of Ron giving a little person a piggy back ride.

• Like 11

Y'know at first im thinking this is someone cosplaying as one of the Bella twins right

Then I see its Kidd Bandit and I'm going, hey I think I seen Bandit on AEW dark or one of the YouTube shows and if I remember someone had posted a Samus Aran cosplay in one of the threads by KB before

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Y'know at first im thinking this is someone cosplaying as one of the Bella twins right

Then I see its Kidd Bandit and I'm going, hey I think I seen Bandit on AEW dark or one of the YouTube shows and if I remember someone had posted a Samus Aran cosplay in one of the threads by KB before

I had thoughts at first but told myself to settle down. 

I dig KB's web presence but have yet to see them wrestle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Y'know as much as I selfishly hope for *more* when it comes to Zayn (and Owens) and would love all of my favorite wrestlers to be in one organization because I am a lazy consumer of wrestling, I really get what he's saying here. As the roster continues to thin out at WWE and the number of people who could reasonably be considered veterans teeters on nonexistent, Zayn and Owens have both been consistently featured and used and kept busy doing this or that for most of their time with the company. They're not exactly neglected or underutilized, even if I think the ceiling on both of them is a lot higher than what's been given to them.  A reboot couldn't hurt anyone (see the discussion around what a post-WWE Orton would be like), but for two guys who at this point probably are not ever going to be positioned as the face of the company (if they ever were), they are about as high up the totem pole as you can get, and there's not a lot of sense in walking away from that to be shuffled around in the limited space of AEW's main event scene.

• Like 2