DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

I was thinking the other day how the Dante/Team Taz angle might have gone if Dante had stayed with the group but remained a face. It got me wondering if this has ever happened: a group or faction where one member is a babyface while the rest are heels, or vice versa? If there are obvious examples that I should remember from my 40 year fandom, I apologize. I'm having memory issues and have forgotten a lot of things that I might once have known. 

30 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

It got me wondering if this has ever happened: a group or faction where one member is a babyface while the rest are heels, or vice versa?

the first example i can think of, and it's not exactly what you're after, is the nWo. although nominally the whole group were heels, there were levels to their heelishness. Hogan was heel-heel. Hall & Nash were tweener heels and got cheered like faces occasionally.  Konnan was damn near a face during his stint in the group.

second example, and this is an even looser interpretation of your question, was post-WCW buyout. the WWF guys were, as a rule, the faces while the WCW/ECW guys were the heels. but on the Alliance end of things, RVD was fully a fan favorite. Alternately, X-Pac and his X-Factor faction were still heels.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

It got me wondering if this has ever happened: a group or faction where one member is a babyface while the rest are heels, or vice versa? 

Main Even Mafia in TNA was a heel group with an ostensibly babyface Sting in their roster 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Despite speculation from last year's rounds of cuts in both talent and front office staff, WWE president Nick Khan said they are not in active conversations to sell the company.

In a profile piece for Sports Business Journal, Khan said that while they have taken some calls from interested parties, they are not actively looking to sell.

Khan went into details as to why some of the major changes inside WWE were made, centering around his feeling that some lacked knowledge of media intricacies and didn't have the attitude that WWE is a global content company.

“Vince (McMahon) believed that WWE was at a place where it had earned a seat at the adult table, but others in the company didn’t see it that way,” Khan told John Ourand.

He went on to say, "For the company to be treated the way that Vince, Stephanie (McMahon), Kevin Dunn and myself and others believed it should be treated in the community, you needed executives who reflected that, who had range, who could get people on the phone and who could be taken seriously by their peers."

Khan didn't address any of the talent layoffs, nor did he name specific executives or departments for who he was referring to.

The article focused on WWE's deals with external partners like A&E, Netflix and Blumhouse Media for various documentaries and series, in addition to the strategy of putting out their major live event schedule in advance. The move of some of those big shows to Saturdays, like this week's Royal Rumble, was also cited.

Heavens to Lemmy, someone stick a fork in Hunter: he's done.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Flair CarShield ads are back on WWE programming ?

They have been back for a few weeks now.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, Waltman had a faction called X-Factor? Did Vince and Marvel sit down and whack it out behind the scenes or something? (In the mob sense, not in the masturbation sense, you filth)

Wow, in hindsight how the fuck did they ever get away with that? For whatever reason I never did think about that like I did Hogan and Hulk.

2 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Heavens to Lemmy, someone stick a fork in Hunter: he's done.

People in 2003 timeline are rejoicing, while people in 2015 timeline are jumping off buildings. Either way, this comes as a shock to them. "Well, that turned out differently than I thought!"

On 1/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, AxB said:

Have you not heard of Donnie Janela?

(GCW ran a show in Tullahoma TN, booked a bunch of local Tennessee wrestlers to fill out the card, and they noticed that one of them looked just like Joey Janela. So Joey "researched his family tree" and found out they were actually cousins! So Donnie took the Janela name because of course he did. He also goes by Kung Fu Janela, or Donnie Primetime in his AEW Dark bookings)

That's my hometown, so fuckin' weird. You're talking about the WOMBAT shows I'm assuming. All I remember is that the first WOMBAT show had Doug Gilbert versus Mance Warner. Pretty sure it was co-promoted with Tullahoma's local fed, SWF (and ran at the arena they use - named after Gypsy Joe).

17 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I was thinking the other day how the Dante/Team Taz angle might have gone if Dante had stayed with the group but remained a face. It got me wondering if this has ever happened: a group or faction where one member is a babyface while the rest are heels, or vice versa? If there are obvious examples that I should remember from my 40 year fandom, I apologize. I'm having memory issues and have forgotten a lot of things that I might once have known. 

I guess you could sort of consider Sting's Horsemen run in late 1989/early 1990.  The Horsemen were ostensibly faces but nobody, except for our sweet summer child Stinger, believed that for a second.

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Well, with HHH being unceremoniously cast aside for run-of-the-mill corporate grifter, it will be even more interesting to see what happens when Vince dies/is otherwise incapacitated now.

WWE's relationship with Nick Khan is like when a really insecure, maybe not too good looking person who has never really had a significant other finally gets attention from someone attractive.  They're so high on the validation they're finally getting that they will make any dumb choice needed to keep it going.  Vince is just over the moon that this "legit businessman" from outside his gross carny world thinks his disgusting rasslin company is worth something.  It's pretty damn funny to see one con man outwork another like it's Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or something.

This has been my Sidney M Basil moment of the day.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Meltzer covered the AJ Ferrari thing a day or two ago.  I was kind of shocked because when I read the headlines, I thought AJ Ferrari was somebody who worked for GLOW.  ?

But seriously, I wonder how often this NIL thing will blow up in WWE's face.  It's already gross how they're firing actual wrestlers while paying college athletes who are years from become wrestlers, if ever, just because they have social media presence and popularity.  But what they really need to consider is what happens when you combine free money with the fame, immaturity, lack of accountability and judgment, and rampant narcissism present in college athletes at that level, where they're just surrounded by enablers and sycophants.  Call me just an old man yelling at clouds but throwing wads of cash at people like this high level college wrestler, who figures it's cool to try to pass three cars on a two lane road at the crest of a hill, and gets in a head-on collision...you're just asking for trouble.  Kids today, get off my lawn, yadda yadda. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

This fucking song is so awful. I even liked the stuff like the RTC WARNING or the Diesel Truck sound entrance better. 

It's hard to believe that Albert, X-Pac and Justin Credible never reunited for an indie trios event, just for the reaction that song would get.

• Like 4