DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

28 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Vince watching Columbo and getting a hankering for a detective gimmick/angle?

c8085f7a5afa821484dfa4a2a9d33c73_crop_ex

I don’t follow WWE but I’ll assume this is from that and not a pr0n parody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

imagine a Kojak knockoff gimmick because Vince decided to watch different 70s shows. Not sure if they could use "Who Loves Ya Baby" without the Savalas estate noticing

Do you want them to make WALTER, sorry, Gunther shave his head? Because this how you get them to make WALTER, sorry, Gunther shave his head.

Edited by cwoy2j

On 1/20/2022 at 6:41 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What do you call it when a beloved hero is replaced, with a character you don’t like? “Step-father Syndrome”? I was four years old, and I had that strong feeling of “Who the fuck do you think you are? You aren’t Hulk Hogan”. It also didn’t help that Warrior acted like an unreasonable monster during that build.

The best bar trivia team name I've heard was, "The Stepdads, because you don't like us and we beat you". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

With how chaotic WWE is, I fully expect Vince hearing Columbo in any way to be the catalyst for the return of the WBF. With Vince trying to recrute Franco Columbo, who died in 2019.

Kind of like the production meeting for the Radioactive Man Movie in the Simpsons episode. What a great episode that was *sigh

Vince would not take Peter Falk when he realizes that he already was "on national television" before (Peter Falk playing a wrestling manager in the 1981 movie "...All the Marbles").

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Vince would redo the Seth/Rey eye angle if he had Peter Falk.

He'd have Peter Falk narrate old episodes of RAW to a bedridden Dominik.

Grandpa: It was ten days to the wedding. Vince still lived, but Stephanie's nightmares were growing steadily worse.

Dominik: See, didn't I tell you she'd never marry that rotten The Undertaker?

Grandpa: Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I swear I've seen him running around with a hat and magnifying glass like Sherlock Holmes once. It has to have happened, right? 

Yes

9m9bfblxx7d61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just had the absolute pleasure of meeting Bryan Danielson.  I asked him about NJPW and he told me he was supposed to already be there but due to Covid and a 2 week quarantine he just can't do it right now.  Hoping things are better by the G1 as he really wants to be in this year.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy.  One of the rare ones who didn't charge for autographs or pics.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Just had the absolute pleasure of meeting Bryan Danielson.  I asked him about NJPW and he told me he was supposed to already be there but due to Covid and a 2 week quarantine he just can't do it right now.  Hoping things are better by the G1 as he really wants to be in this year.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy.  One of the rare ones who didn't charge for autographs or pics.  

Very cool! Where did you meet him?

He is in Pittsburgh at the David L Lawrence for the World of Wheels Convention.  I expected to pay $50 like when Sting was here last year but it was all free and he couldn't have been nicer. He spent time talking with everyone for as long as they wanted.  Not a huge line to meet him either. Only thing was they asked not to bring personal items as they gave out free 8x10's and took 2 pics with your camera phone.  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, J.H. said:

Vince: That biker Cher had chemistry with... he's got some real presence. Think we can get him in the ring?
Some Yes Man: Do...do you mean... Sam Elliot?
Vince: Christ what terrible name. Get him i nthe system and we'll call him Brick Porterhouse!

Elliott Samson was right there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He'd have Peter Falk narrate old episodes of RAW to a bedridden Dominik.

Grandpa: It was ten days to the wedding. Vince still lived, but Stephanie's nightmares were growing steadily worse.

Dominik: See, didn't I tell you she'd never marry that rotten The Undertaker?

Grandpa: Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.

The Billion Dollar Princess Bride.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Seeing these pics of presumably atrocious WWE skits made the Riddle "baby Broda" abomination pop into my head and now I hate you all. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Since we don't have a "old school questions" thread anymore...

This sounds like an intriguing idea. Thoughts?

Yeh boi Windham tangling with the Freebirds sign me up. 

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He is in Pittsburgh at the David L Lawrence for the World of Wheels Convention.  I expected to pay $50 like when Sting was here last year but it was all free and he couldn't have been nicer. He spent time talking with everyone for as long as they wanted.  Not a huge line to meet him either. Only thing was they asked not to bring personal items as they gave out free 8x10's and took 2 pics with your camera phone.  

Nice one. LOVE, LOVE Bryan Danielson. Great to hear Bryan's as likeable as he comes across. It's impressive he plays such a great heel. Dickhead Danielson is my favourite incarnation.

Notable matches turning 30, 25, 20, 10 and 5 years old this year. In spoiler tags for size.

Spoiler

30:

• 1992 Royal Rumble match. *****.
  • Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper. WWF WrestleMania VIII.
  • Kenta Kobashi/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Doug Furnas/Dan Kroffat. AJPW, 25th May 1992. *****.
  • Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance. WCW Wrestle War 1992. *****. My MOTY.
  • Sting vs. Vader,  WCW The Great American Bash 1992 and Starrcade 1992.

25:

• Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WWF WrestleMania 13. *****. The Greatest Match of All Time.
  • Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa. AJPW, 20th January 1997. *****.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. WWF In Your House 18, Badd Blood 1997. *****.
  • Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio. WCW Halloween Havoc 1997. *****.
  • Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF Survivor Series 1997.

20:

• Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. WWE No Mercy 2002. *****.
  • Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs. Edge/Rey Mysterio. WWE No Mercy 2002. *****. My MOTY.
  • The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar. WWE SummerSlam 2002.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H. WWE SummerSlam 2002.
  • First Elimination Chamber match. WWE Survivor Series 2002.

10:

• John Cena vs. Umaga. WWE Royal Rumble 2007. *****.
  • 2007 Royal Rumble match.
  • The Undertaker vs. Batista at WWE WrestleMania 23, Backlash 2007, Cyber Sunday 2007 and Survivor Series 2007.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena. WWE RAW, 23rd April 2007.
  • Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson. ROH Manhattan Mayhem II. *****. My 2007 MOTY.

5:

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega Trilogy from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 ***** (my MOTY), Dominion 2017 and the G1 Climax *****.
  • Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata. NJPW Sakura Genesis 2017. *****.
  • Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne. WWE NXT TakeOver: Chicago 2017. *****.