DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

I am more than okay with piling on the booker who was gifted the MSG debuts of Jushin Liger and Great Muta and decided "you know who needs to go over here? KENNY KING"

As someone who was in the building that night, the ROH side of that show save for maybe the TV Title 3-way and the NJPW vs ROH tag title match up until the Enzo/Cass angle just kept draining the crowd energy that night. I genuinely can't imagine anyone who walked out of that building saying "that was a great night for ROH" and the general "evening of" consensus was that they blew their side of the biggest non-WWE show that NYC had seen in decades. 

• Like 7

Not really sure when do the next WWE cuts happen, but maybe around WWE's next fiscal or fourth-quarter. Their fourth-quarter earnings for 2021 and call will take place on February 3, 2022.

I've read a while ago if need be....WWE is willing to go bare bones crew and talent wise and more. However expect NXT 2.0 callups to fill up their depleted rosters again.

2 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

But no conjecture as to who those wrestlers might be?

Another article of theirs goes on about which contracts are up and may not be renewed, Marko Stunt, Joey Janela, Brian Cage. All those could still have their contracts renewed.

And more beyond those mentioned guys could leave.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Good lord, just thinking about what Vince would do with that...

Vince: That biker Cher had chemistry with... he's got some real presence. Think we can get him in the ring?
Some Yes Man: Do...do you mean... Sam Elliot?
Vince: Christ what terrible name. Get him i nthe system and we'll call him Brick Porterhouse!

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With how chaotic WWE is, I fully expect Vince hearing Columbo in any way to be the catalyst for the return of the WBF. With Vince trying to recrute Franco Columbo, who died in 2019.

Kind of like the production meeting for the Radioactive Man Movie in the Simpsons episode. What a great episode that was *sigh

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Vince watching Columbo and getting a hankering for a detective gimmick/angle?

c8085f7a5afa821484dfa4a2a9d33c73_crop_ex

I don’t follow WWE but I’ll assume this is from that and not a pr0n parody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

imagine a Kojak knockoff gimmick because Vince decided to watch different 70s shows. Not sure if they could use "Who Loves Ya Baby" without the Savalas estate noticing

Do you want them to make WALTER, sorry, Gunther shave his head? Because this how you get them to make WALTER, sorry, Gunther shave his head.

Edited by cwoy2j

On 1/20/2022 at 6:41 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What do you call it when a beloved hero is replaced, with a character you don’t like? “Step-father Syndrome”? I was four years old, and I had that strong feeling of “Who the fuck do you think you are? You aren’t Hulk Hogan”. It also didn’t help that Warrior acted like an unreasonable monster during that build.

The best bar trivia team name I've heard was, "The Stepdads, because you don't like us and we beat you". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

With how chaotic WWE is, I fully expect Vince hearing Columbo in any way to be the catalyst for the return of the WBF. With Vince trying to recrute Franco Columbo, who died in 2019.

Kind of like the production meeting for the Radioactive Man Movie in the Simpsons episode. What a great episode that was *sigh

Vince would not take Peter Falk when he realizes that he already was "on national television" before (Peter Falk playing a wrestling manager in the 1981 movie "...All the Marbles").

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Vince would redo the Seth/Rey eye angle if he had Peter Falk.

He'd have Peter Falk narrate old episodes of RAW to a bedridden Dominik.

Grandpa: It was ten days to the wedding. Vince still lived, but Stephanie's nightmares were growing steadily worse.

Dominik: See, didn't I tell you she'd never marry that rotten The Undertaker?

Grandpa: Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I swear I've seen him running around with a hat and magnifying glass like Sherlock Holmes once. It has to have happened, right? 

Yes

9m9bfblxx7d61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just had the absolute pleasure of meeting Bryan Danielson.  I asked him about NJPW and he told me he was supposed to already be there but due to Covid and a 2 week quarantine he just can't do it right now.  Hoping things are better by the G1 as he really wants to be in this year.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy.  One of the rare ones who didn't charge for autographs or pics.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Just had the absolute pleasure of meeting Bryan Danielson.  I asked him about NJPW and he told me he was supposed to already be there but due to Covid and a 2 week quarantine he just can't do it right now.  Hoping things are better by the G1 as he really wants to be in this year.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy.  One of the rare ones who didn't charge for autographs or pics.  

Very cool! Where did you meet him?