DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Supposedly Bryan Alvarez said on one of the WON radio shows that the only reason Raquel Gonzalez hasn’t been called up yet was because they needed women to fill out the Dusty Cup and she will be brought up as soon as it’s over 

That amused me more than it probably should 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Hogan having to lean into a Trade Unionist gimmick would have been funny - he was already calling everyone "brother" and still had the hard hat!

Wa2pile.jpg

Hulk Hogan was both a union member (Screen Actors Guild) and a union breaker (snitching out Ventura to Vince). Sort of an angle to the whole "Hogan stopped a WWF union" story that even Bix didn't think of trying to hammer down.

I'd imagine that Brother Bruti was the first vice president for the International Brotherhood of Hulkamaniacs

• Like 5

That whole Walter situation is really weird how they insisted on getting the Gunther Stark thing on the TV of their farm league. I could see them trying to get it on the main roster because Vince is directly hands on but even with all that backlash leading to time they went live they decided to just take off the last name? Forget about the moral aspect for a second this is the same company afraid to show blood, in most cases because of fear of turning off sponsors. That's also their excuse for heavily scripted promos because 'fear' of guys cutting an x rated Ric Flair promo and turning off sponsors.  This is the same company that doesn't want to have people with the same first name or last name but they still insist on having Zoey Stark and Walter have the same last name. It's very intentional obviously but it's also weird how they are afraid of scaring off sponsors in most other situations like even though they decided to go with the Gunther name it's surprising they didn't atleast keep the Walter name for atleast another week instead of just insisting on going with a name change anyway 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ka-to said:

The same show was on Fight Network in the US. That is very good. The Impact that shows up on Fight Network is six months behind the AXS shows. I didn't remember Josh either, although I may not have ever watched it in English. I was at the Dome for it. I might have only watched the Asahi show that night.

The initial batch of NJPW on AXS episodes were great. Featured match with an interview with one of the match participants which provided some insight into the match and personalities of the wrestlers, Mauro doing commentary with Barnett who provided nice context for the ring psychology and how the holds worked. Mauro was the only man that made a friggin Bad Luck Fale match sound entertaining.

When Mauro got scooped up by WWE, they went with Barnett and JR and initially Barnett deferred to JR which led to some awkward commentary since they included more matches per episode and you knew JR wasn't aware of the roster like that which makes sense because they were just doing commentary in a studio in batches. Barnett eventually took on more of the lead role which made for better commentary IMO.

Last group of commentators was whoever worked the English commentary for NJPW World so Kevin Kelly with a rotation of Rocky Romero, Chris Charlton and Don Callis at the time. They would dub in lines here and there to tie it into the separate broadcast but it was mostly just the NJPW World feed.

With that said, I'd love to get Barnett and Mauro back in the booth for a show or 2.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sabremike said:

Instead of nonsensical name calling and insults provide an argument that refutes what I said. The problem is that you can't. He infuriated the New Japan people with his crap "shoot" angle he didn't tell them about that took all the attention away from the planned angle of Yano stealing the belts. You can tell they were annoyed because New Japan never sent any of their guys over to work ROH shows ever again. Not coincidentally ROH pretty much never drew a good crowd by indie standards ever again.

I was going to explain but if you want to live in your little bubble where you think the only reason people went to ROH shows was to see a couple random NJPW guys then you are too far gone to even try to rationalize with. 

But yea sure let me just jump on the bandwagon #Bubba killed ROH 

I am more than okay with piling on the booker who was gifted the MSG debuts of Jushin Liger and Great Muta and decided "you know who needs to go over here? KENNY KING"

As someone who was in the building that night, the ROH side of that show save for maybe the TV Title 3-way and the NJPW vs ROH tag title match up until the Enzo/Cass angle just kept draining the crowd energy that night. I genuinely can't imagine anyone who walked out of that building saying "that was a great night for ROH" and the general "evening of" consensus was that they blew their side of the biggest non-WWE show that NYC had seen in decades. 

• Like 7

Not really sure when do the next WWE cuts happen, but maybe around WWE's next fiscal or fourth-quarter. Their fourth-quarter earnings for 2021 and call will take place on February 3, 2022.

I've read a while ago if need be....WWE is willing to go bare bones crew and talent wise and more. However expect NXT 2.0 callups to fill up their depleted rosters again.

2 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

But no conjecture as to who those wrestlers might be?

Another article of theirs goes on about which contracts are up and may not be renewed, Marko Stunt, Joey Janela, Brian Cage. All those could still have their contracts renewed.

And more beyond those mentioned guys could leave.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Good lord, just thinking about what Vince would do with that...

Vince: That biker Cher had chemistry with... he's got some real presence. Think we can get him in the ring?
Some Yes Man: Do...do you mean... Sam Elliot?
Vince: Christ what terrible name. Get him i nthe system and we'll call him Brick Porterhouse!

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Lots of Columbo

I love Columbo.

Give me R-Truth in a beige trenchcoat investigating backstage attacks...

"Well Mr Theory, there's lots of... uh... theories...

See I thought you said you had entered into the Royal Rumble? But now I find you you were meant to have a qualifying match against Mr Balor tonight on Raw.

Right here. In this arena.

Now I find out that Mr Balor's been attacked backstage and well, it was probably just an accident but my boss, you see, he just wants me to ask a couple questions, make sure we tie up any loose ends.

Say... This a beautiful tanning bed ya got here!

You know my wife's cousin has one of these. Ohhh yeah, takes it everywhere. You never seen a girl so orange..."

Edited by L_W_P
  • Haha 2

With how chaotic WWE is, I fully expect Vince hearing Columbo in any way to be the catalyst for the return of the WBF. With Vince trying to recrute Franco Columbo, who died in 2019.

Kind of like the production meeting for the Radioactive Man Movie in the Simpsons episode. What a great episode that was *sigh

• Like 1