DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Walter's new gimmick is that he will refer to himself with a new Austrian first name every week before he officially becomes Viele Namen ("Many Names" in German)

(checks the internet to make sure no Nazis were named Viele Namen)

if that doesn't stick, then Gunther becomes Billy Gunther. Then they bring in another German speaker to be Bart Gunther in a German Cowboy team

They probably can't go with the German translation of "Mr. Ass" since the name "Herr Ass" might displease some people in 2022

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

His name is just Gunther. 

How the fuck is this better than WALTER?

They could at least stylize it. GUNTHER. Not much better, but it's something.

Or go with G.U.N.T.H.E.R. (German Underground Nazi That's Hitler's Existing Relative?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if that doesn't stick, then Gunther becomes Billy Gunther. Then they bring in another German speaker to be Bart Gunther in a German Cowboy team

They probably can't go with the German translation of "Mr. Ass" since the name "Herr Ass" might displease some people in 2022

Just google Gunt and then look at Walter's waist on NXT 2.0.   The Gunt flabs his way to Raw soon like Keith Lee did. The he will be getting a dancing gimmick while wearing a dress like Vito, then get released.

Von Wagner takes over imperium. The end.

Gtg.

20 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Or they could go with Gunther Gabel and have him dress like a circus performer and use the Liontamer for a finish.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

How the fuck is this better than WALTER?

They could at least stylize it. GUNTHER. Not much better, but it's something.

Or go with G.U.N.T.H.E.R. (German Underground Nazi That's Hitler's Existing Relative?)

Because its something they can own? I mean its not a better name, but I don't think its a much worse a name either. Its just feels so stupid because they have been calling him WALTER already for 3 years now, and there is no real change happening to the character that makes a name change sensible at this point.

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Eivion said:

Because its something they can own? I mean its not a better name, but I don't think its a much worse a name either. Its just feels because they have been calling him WALTER already for 3 years now, and there is no real change happening to the character that makes a name change sensible at this point.

Great, that means that they can own a name better than Gunther, too. 

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why do you hate the name Gunther?

Who said that I hate the name Gunther?

I am at best ambivalent to it. 

But how lazy is this name change? That's rhetorical. It's super-lazy.

I ended up watching a huge chunk of SummerSlam '90 last night because of the DRILL Sargent Slaughter promos posted here and a) it's not like a GREAT card or anything, but it's fun as hell and b) Kerry Von Erich is called the Texas Tornado, which is a lame name change that at least has some alliteration and gives you an idea of what the guy's personality and fighting style is like, theoretically. He wrestled Mr. Perfect, which is again dumb in the best pro wrestling ways.

See how these names have at least a bit of thought and effort put into them? See how they support the gimmick? See how they're not just a non-descript first or last name, but a name that casual fans might actually remember? 

I can't believe that I wasted this many words on your question, but here we are because I'm avoiding work. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Also, the reason Sarge came back to the WWF was due to his GI JOE contract ending and Vince wanting to once again steal a headliner from Verne Gagne.

also the heel ranks in the WWF were a bit thin for the Warrior run, Rick Rude was out of the WWF shortly after Slaughter came back.

But yeah, we were denied a world where Slaughter reminded us that Hulk Hogan wore red and yellow, just like the commies, and that's why he's standing up for commie pinkos like Nikolai Volkoff.

As for Gunther vs GUNTHER... if any company would insist that the all-caps spelling only be acknowledged if he was currently holding a title, it would be the WWE

They held off on Warrior/Savage until after Warrior dropped the belt, which led to that awesome WM match which is the best example of catharsis that I can think of in pro wrestling, but which didn't help Warrior's run at all. I'm not sure that there were many good options, but Rude just was not at that level in 1990 and that feud had been done already. 

I don't think you can save the title reign of such a limited worker like Warrior, but Savage and Earthquake as opponents instead of Rude and being like, "feud with Demolition, I guess" might have made his run less of a flop. 

• Like 2

He must’ve saw that picture with Shawn, Hunter, and Road Dogg looking old as shit.

If that’s the case, then please stop putting the staff on camera. Or better yet, put them on a strict dress code. The reason they look so bad is that they dress like they are out fishing on a boat in the Key’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm not sure that there were many good options, but Rude just was not at that level in 1990 and that feud had been done already. 

here are the heels who were on the card at Wrestlemania 6

Rick Martel, Andre the Giant, Haku, Earthquake, Mr. Perfect, Bad News Brown, Nikolai Volkoff, Boris Zhukov, The Barbarian, Randy Savage, Sato, Pat Tanaka, Dino Bravo, Ted DiBiase, Akeem, and Rick Rude

Or to sum up how they spent the rest of their 1990s:

Moving up and feuded with Jake to begin 91, Finished in the WWF, Floundered for most of his remaining time in the WWF, Summer feud with Hogan, IC Champion after Warrior vacated the belt, Gone after Summerslam, Turned face, Shitty abandoned Russian gimmick, Inched up the ladder slightly, Feuded with Dusty Rhodes for his summer, Was mostly out of the WWF by the end of the year, Tag team guy, On his way towards the exit, Kinda floundered until he got a feud with Dusty to set up his feud with Virgil, Gone by October, and de-facto Summer program for the Warrior

DiBiase got a match with Warrior in Japan early in the reign, which allegedly went over poorly with Japanese fans.

But with that group of heels, you can figure out how new arrivals, returns, and turns caused some guys to soar up the ranks

By Wrestlemania 7, the heels were: Haku, Barbarian, Dino Bravo, Warlord, Jerry Sags, Brian Knobbs, Rick Martel, The Undertaker, Randy Savage, Demolition Smash, Demolition Crush, Mr. Perfect, Earthquake, Paul Roma, Hercules, Ted DiBiase, The Mountie, and Sgt. Slaughter

So the world wasn't really hungering for Ultimate Warrior vs Warlord matches, or a reprise of Warrior vs Hercules, and it took giving him Savage and Undertaker to give him some compelling programs, and then Jake turned too.

• Like 1