DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The original Sgt. Slaughter heel gimmick in 1990 wasn't exactly gonna propel him to main events, but I kinda love Slaughter doing a Hiroo Onoda "guy refusing to accept that the Cold War is wrapping up" type of gimmick until world events swung that gimmick a bit into left field. I don't think they would have done Hulk Hogan/Sgt. Slaughter matches where Slaughter is calling Hogan a commie pinko but it's a bit of a time capsule for the several months where this gimmick was possible

Also, using the phrase "Drill Sargent Slaughter".. was it a weird WWFism or was there some sort of trademark thing that they didn't clear up? because that's a bit too wordy and they dropped it quick. Like we don't need to know what specific type of Sgt he is, guys..

A reminder that the Slaughter vignettes started airing a few weeks before Iraq invaded Kuwait and about 2 months before the US started sending troops over. So the whole story that Sarge was brought in to specifically exploit the war and headline Wrestlemania is bs, if the war never happened he most likely goes from Volkoff to Duggan to a house show run with Hogan. Also, the reason Sarge came back to the WWF was due to his GI JOE contract ending and Vince wanting to once again steal a headliner from Verne Gagne.

Random story I thought I'd share.

So I was in Twitter...and I saw someone with the name Nilton. Which reminded me of the Observer writer Nilton Fernandes, who passed away. I did a quick search, and found that Nilton died in 2002. Crazy how time flies.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Watching Sting do all of this stuff on a semi-regular basis makes me even more annoyed at how WWE used him. Sting and Undertaker could have easily had a good match.

Except Taker was was starting to break down and had confidence issues in the ring by the time Sting came in. Also wasn't it Taker himself who had little to no interest in the Sting match by that point?

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Walter's new gimmick is that he will refer to himself with a new Austrian first name every week before he officially becomes Viele Namen ("Many Names" in German)

(checks the internet to make sure no Nazis were named Viele Namen)

if that doesn't stick, then Gunther becomes Billy Gunther. Then they bring in another German speaker to be Bart Gunther in a German Cowboy team

They probably can't go with the German translation of "Mr. Ass" since the name "Herr Ass" might displease some people in 2022

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

His name is just Gunther. 

How the fuck is this better than WALTER?

They could at least stylize it. GUNTHER. Not much better, but it's something.

Or go with G.U.N.T.H.E.R. (German Underground Nazi That's Hitler's Existing Relative?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if that doesn't stick, then Gunther becomes Billy Gunther. Then they bring in another German speaker to be Bart Gunther in a German Cowboy team

They probably can't go with the German translation of "Mr. Ass" since the name "Herr Ass" might displease some people in 2022

Just google Gunt and then look at Walter's waist on NXT 2.0.   The Gunt flabs his way to Raw soon like Keith Lee did. The he will be getting a dancing gimmick while wearing a dress like Vito, then get released.

Von Wagner takes over imperium. The end.

Gtg.

20 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Or they could go with Gunther Gabel and have him dress like a circus performer and use the Liontamer for a finish.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

How the fuck is this better than WALTER?

They could at least stylize it. GUNTHER. Not much better, but it's something.

Or go with G.U.N.T.H.E.R. (German Underground Nazi That's Hitler's Existing Relative?)

Because its something they can own? I mean its not a better name, but I don't think its a much worse a name either. Its just feels so stupid because they have been calling him WALTER already for 3 years now, and there is no real change happening to the character that makes a name change sensible at this point.

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Eivion said:

Because its something they can own? I mean its not a better name, but I don't think its a much worse a name either. Its just feels because they have been calling him WALTER already for 3 years now, and there is no real change happening to the character that makes a name change sensible at this point.

Great, that means that they can own a name better than Gunther, too. 

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why do you hate the name Gunther?

Who said that I hate the name Gunther?

I am at best ambivalent to it. 

But how lazy is this name change? That's rhetorical. It's super-lazy.

I ended up watching a huge chunk of SummerSlam '90 last night because of the DRILL Sargent Slaughter promos posted here and a) it's not like a GREAT card or anything, but it's fun as hell and b) Kerry Von Erich is called the Texas Tornado, which is a lame name change that at least has some alliteration and gives you an idea of what the guy's personality and fighting style is like, theoretically. He wrestled Mr. Perfect, which is again dumb in the best pro wrestling ways.

See how these names have at least a bit of thought and effort put into them? See how they support the gimmick? See how they're not just a non-descript first or last name, but a name that casual fans might actually remember? 

I can't believe that I wasted this many words on your question, but here we are because I'm avoiding work. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 4