DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I don’t watch WWE but I’m curious, did they explain why WALTER has a new name? He’s been on NXT TV on and off for multiple years so are they explaining this or just treating the audience as dumb?

No though the change only just occurred so maybe we see something in the coming weeks.

The original Sgt. Slaughter heel gimmick in 1990 wasn't exactly gonna propel him to main events, but I kinda love Slaughter doing a Hiroo Onoda "guy refusing to accept that the Cold War is wrapping up" type of gimmick until world events swung that gimmick a bit into left field. I don't think they would have done Hulk Hogan/Sgt. Slaughter matches where Slaughter is calling Hogan a commie pinko but it's a bit of a time capsule for the several months where this gimmick was possible

Also, using the phrase "Drill Sargent Slaughter".. was it a weird WWFism or was there some sort of trademark thing that they didn't clear up? because that's a bit too wordy and they dropped it quick. Like we don't need to know what specific type of Sgt he is, guys..

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

I don’t watch WWE but I’m curious, did they explain why WALTER has a new name? He’s been on NXT TV on and off for multiple years so are they explaining this or just treating the audience as dumb?

When we’re talking about WWE, betting on the latter will never lose you money.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Using recent naming standards, a millionaire character whose real name is Ted would end up with the name "Teddy Money"

Extra note: I've heard at least two "wrong" pronounciations of DiBiase from wrestling clips. The well-known "Dibussy", and also clips from early 80s St. Louis where he's "DiBias"

I've never heard the Dibussy. Where was that? I remember lots of DiBias.

16 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Speaking of Falco, this thing with WALTER could  only be redeemed if he entered the ring to a symphonic metal version of Rock Me Amadeus after the name change.

I see WALTER as more of a Rammstein guy. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I see WALTER as more of a Rammstein guy. 

As someone who worked a backyard Austrian gimmick because he could affect a Schwarzeneggerian accent, I can assure you the best available entrance music is Falco's "Vienna Calling (Toll Free Mix)". Only one that gets the chorus fast enough. Falco rules btw.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword up. Every time WWE renames a wrestler, it's just one more arrangement of letters that I can put into one of these things! 

10:14 and I thought this one was hard as hell. That is not a complaint! Actually had to use the check function because I had an error and no clue where it was. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword up. Every time WWE renames a wrestler, it's just one more arrangement of letters that I can put into one of these things! 

21:50. Probably shouldn't have started at 4:30 am.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Watching Sting do all of this stuff on a semi-regular basis makes me even more annoyed at how WWE used him. Sting and Undertaker could have easily had a good match.

Sting joins WWE at Survivor Series 2014 and we all wanted Sting vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXXI, the man who never left WCW vs the man who never left WWE. Instead it's Triple H vs. Sting at said WrestleMania, Triple H wins and the nWo help Sting! Fuck that shit! With the popularity of the Boneyard match between The Undertaker and AJ Styles at WrestleMania XXXVI, I thought a cinematic match might be the avenue but nope. Sting for years didn't join WWE thinking they'd mess him up and he was right.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Watching Sting do all of this stuff on a semi-regular basis makes me even more annoyed at how WWE used him. Sting and Undertaker could have easily had a good match.

They could’ve put on a spectacle worthy of Mania, surely. Also, I’m 100% sure that’s why HBK wasn’t purged with the rest of HHH’s crew at the PC. Podcast Prichard and Nicky Budgets don’t want to explain to Vince how HBK ended up having a Heartbreak Hotel brawl through an abandoned “no tell motel” with the Stinger.