DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

AJ Styles WWE Championship reign which lasted a year was a real disappointment. Only memorable matches were the non title vs. Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series 2017 and dropping the belt to Daniel Bryan on the last Smackdown Live before Survivor Series 2018. Styles should have dropped it to Shinsuke Nakamura at WrestleMania XXXIV but didn't and should have to Samoa Joe at SummerSlam 2018.

They pretty much ended Dean Ambrose's run as a main eventer and we got that? Sloppy shop, man. 

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I saw on Twitter that someone did some research and found that there was a Gunther Stark who was a nazi war criminal...so I'm pretty sure WWE didn't vet the name. Or did they? 

Heidenreich comeback confirmed

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

That’s why I asked the other day about blood vs blading. They seem to be easing up on the former, but still have banned/discourage the latter.

presumably, the general public may not care about the hair-splitting that we do on the matter.

Bret is the GOAT hands down because he was able to convince Vince on 2 to 3 different occasions that he was busted open hardway including Austin at WrestleMania which made Austin a made man. It's one thing to work the Audience another thing to work the boys and probably more impressive to work Vince. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's never a good day when the Sonics lose.

Also, it's never a good day when the Sonics can't lose because they don't exist.

Basically, life is misery.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

When's the last time someone actually bladed on WWE TV? Not PPV, not busted open hardway, just zipped themselves on TV?  The general public thinks all pro wrestling is just WWE and since WWE's aiming for another big TV rights deal, they probably don't won't to be confused with AEW's blood and guts.

17 minutes ago, BEN! said:

When's the last time someone actually bladed on WWE TV? Not PPV, not busted open hardway, just zipped themselves on TV?  The general public thinks all pro wrestling is just WWE and since WWE's aiming for another big TV rights deal, they probably don't won't to be confused with AEW's blood and guts.

Apart from PPV probably Shawn vs. Edge maybe?  

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Apart from PPV probably Shawn vs. Edge maybe?  

That had to be around 2006 2007 the latest. 

I will say some times the refs attending to the wrestlers when they hardway lends more realism. There are sometimes when it's takes away from a match 

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The easiest heat you can garner in Seattle. 

Second easiest is saying something about how dumb it is to throw the ball when you're on the one-yard-line and you have an elite running back. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BEN! said:

the one Batista got fined for in the cage with Jericho was November 2008 RAW.

Shortly after there was the seg in March 09 where Jericho bloodied up Flair but I think that was just Flair (one punch and immediately started bleeding), but Flair recently talked about Vince fining Jericho $25,000.

29 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

the one Batista got fined for in the cage with Jericho was November 2008 RAW.

Shortly after there was the seg in March 09 where Jericho bloodied up Flair but I think that was just Flair (one punch and immediately started bleeding), but Flair recently talked about Vince fining Jericho $25,000.

WWE got really strict on it around the time Punk was feuding with Mysterio. I remember Punk being frustrated that the ref had to stop the match, put on the gloves and clean off the blood multiple times.  It ruined the match.  If I'm not wrong this was during the Linda for Senator run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

I had the Nihilist Arby's hot sauce a couple days ago at a friend's house. Not recommended. They should have gone for a supercharged Horsey Sauce but it was just hot BBQ. (BTW, if you want a supercharged Horsey Sauce, get the horseradish sauce that St. Elmo's puts out. That and the remoulade they do are spectacular.) 

EDIT: If Elias retired tomorrow he could sleep happy over the heat he got from that one comment. Cheap heat, who cares, that is still the loudest most hostile pop ever. It's like a whole stadium heard the Half Baked guy say "BOO THIS MAN" and responded as vocally as humanly possible. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

271728238_471186967709868_58391597002587

Damn straight, Eddie Kingston! 

Atsushi Kotoge is indeed a very good pro wrestler, and a damned fine young man to boot. 

I HATED what they did to him at the NOAH vs NJPW show. 

Spoiler

Booked him in the only singles match on the show and instead of letting him showcase his talents it was just more House of Torture bullshit.

I'd love to see Kotoge fight Eddie Kingston one on one!

266201697_466800521520274_32665652292395

270422662_440559844515979_13998627318301

271490882_614857763145153_66112106234280

Edited by Gordlow
changed "really" to "very"
  • Like 3

Using recent naming standards, a millionaire character whose real name is Ted would end up with the name "Teddy Money"

Extra note: I've heard at least two "wrong" pronounciations of DiBiase from wrestling clips. The well-known "Dibussy", and also clips from early 80s St. Louis where he's "DiBias"