DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

describing a common practice in wrestling forever like blading as “The self-mutilation that bloodied several women in the December 31 event on TNT.”  This is the kind of bullshit lawyer speak where Ted Cruz would describe student loan forgiveness as “the sinister plan by leftists to dis-empower several American businesses that promote educational funding.” 

As small a thing as it is, this kind of abuse of language to foster concern trolling just to score a few points somehow really pisses me off.  The arrogance of thinking we are so much stupider than them that they can just just push our outrage button with the most childish nonsense, coupled with the craven willingness to pretend they themselves believe this when we all know they know better signals crossing a line from “kind of corrupt corporate type” to “utterly soulless ghoul without a glimmer of humanity left in their eyes.”

goddamn I hate this company and genuinely hope it dies.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

I'm guessing it's the SELF- part, not the mutilation part they object to. Saudi Arabia isn't all that big on SELF-mutilation. Standard mutilation, however...

Also: Hey Vince! You were going to call Mick Foley WHAT exactly, back in '96?

Edited by Shartnado
Mason the WHAT?
  • Like 4

Putting aside the WWE comments about bloody women.

Blading IS fucking stupid and weird as fuck. I love it, I'm weird as fuck too. I don't care if people slice their fucking bodies with fucking razor blades cause it looks awesome and bloody wrestling is great.

But it's just as fucked up as Lesner shoot splitting open Orton like Terry Funk did with eyebrow punches. Also fucked up. 

• Like 3

There's also the argument that blading might be grotesque, but probably safer* for you from an overall wellness standpoint than doing stuntman spots that lead to broken limbs and neck surgeries. 

(*Unless you get Hep C or HIV) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

Self mutilation lol… Vince has cut some of the goriest blade jobs in WWE history. Hell Survivor Series 2003 (I think) against Undertaker was just spraying blood. But I guess that was “then”

Correct, Vince McMahon vs. The Undertaker in a Buried Alive match at Survivor Series 2003. Last match as Biker Taker till the Boneyard match vs. AJ Styles at WrestleMania XXXVI.

The last officially allowed WWE bladejob was Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho. All of the ones after that were against Vince's rules. But after Batista's big fine, that probably put a lot of people off from going into business for themselves.

• Like 4

Just now, AxB said:

The last officially allowed WWE bladejob was Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho. All of the ones after that were against Vince's rules. But after Batista's big fine, that probably put a lot of people off from going into business for themselves.

The Great American Bash 2008. Unpopular opinion, I think it's the best Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho match.

WWE has gone back and forth on their views on blading and blood in general for almost 40 years. I don't mind someone getting color in a match if the match calls for it. This company has PPVs based around TLC matches ,Elimination Chamber Matches , He'll in the Cell Matches etc though out the year annually for over a decade and they've had a no color policy for that same amount of time. You shouldn't promote those gimmick Matches knowing these guys can't have any blood. That's dumb, thats like booking The Summerslam 95 Razor vs Shawn ladder match and telling them they couldn't use the ladder as a weapon. The same company where Executive Vice President was using a Sledgehammer to get heat on his opponents, ever after the blood policy was inactive. I know he wasn't the first person to use the Sledgehammer but he made it his signature thing, one of the most business exposing things ever with or without blood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

Didnt WWE glorify the hell out of the time Becky was busted open?

Yes, but it was unintentional which makes it a totally different thing to them. It got Becky over to the next level that they hadn't planned to at that time. And at the same time WWE would have been stupid not to do something with that. 

That whole statement is an big deal only because it's a women's match. They did the same in the mid 90s with WCW and before that in the 80s trying to paint themselves as the more sanitized inring product in comparison

I dunno what the Moxley deathmatch stuff or the women's Rampage bloodbath is supposed to accomplish, but for me it isn't working.  I'm not turning it off, I guess, and I probably wouldn't have watched the women's tag match if people hadn't started talking it up, but my main reaction is "you're a major company with a national tv deal.  Why are you doing this?".  i feel a bit like I'm gawking at a car crash, so it probably won't take too much for me to start skipping those segments.

In a nutshell, I don't feel like it adds much to the show, and risks angering sponsors if you go too far or something like the ladies match unexpectedly blows up in the mainstream media.  Vince is being a bit hypocritical trying to portray himself as the more sanitized product, but he's not entirely wrong.  I've watched CZW and Big Japan in the past, and mostly just ff'ed through the deathmatch stuff without thinking about it, but - as is the case with men wrestling women - it's a different ball game when you're in the big time.

I dunno.  I bought a PPV for the spectacle of a Moxley-Kingston deathmatch and I watched the Tay/Anna/Ford/Bunny match on YouTube, so I can't complain too much, but I kinda wish I had skipped both of those.  My main thought about both those matches is TNT/TBS is going to want to reign them in sooner or later.  The first TBS show had Hangman bleeding a lot too, though i don't remember if that looked like a blade job or an accident (given how much he bled, I'm assuming he bladed?).  I don't really think of Anna, Penelope, or Tay as hardcore wrestlers, so the next time they bleed a lot, I'll probably pass.  Once was more than enough, thanks.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Yes, but it was unintentional which makes it a totally different thing to them. It got Becky over to the next level that they hadn't planned to at that time. And at the same time WWE would have been stupid not to do something with that. 

The thing is...does a regular viewer know the difference between an unintentional elbow or hardway juice and "self mutilation" when they're both in the content of a fight?

• Like 2

Uncle Tony absolutely shouldn't sign everyone WWE releases. It's terrible business practice and leads to a bloated roster.

Uncle Tony absolutely should move heaven and earth to bring Mustafa Ali to his show. Dude could be an absolute star. If that means less tv time for guys like Tony Nese and Bobby Fish... so much the better.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, just drew said:

Uncle Tony absolutely shouldn't sign everyone WWE releases. It's terrible business practice and leads to a bloated roster.

Uncle Tony absolutely should move heaven and earth to bring Mustafa Ali to his show. Dude could be an absolute star. If that means less tv time for guys like Tony Nese and Bobby Fish... so much the better.

We live in an age of brutal contradiction 

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There's also the argument that blading might be grotesque, but probably safer* for you from an overall wellness standpoint than doing stuntman spots that lead to broken limbs and neck surgeries. 

(*Unless you get Hep C or HIV) 

Per Tony Myers it's specifically why Mr Pogo tacked in that direction, because other than the cosmetic damage it was actually a very safe style... plus he had a ton of charisma and could lean on the in-ring psychology.

Man, Ali has a set of brass balls to put out a tweet like that. He has a great head on his shoulders and I have no doubt he'll land on his feet somewhere if/when they let him go.

• Like 1