DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I used to think Val Venis' theme sounded a lot like Rick Martel's "Model" theme, but that was 20+ years ago and I haven't done any recent comparisons.

They are pretty much the same. Aside from the beginning effects, the main hooks of the songs are the same. If you pick a random point in both videos and play them at the same time, they'll sound damn near identical.

Edited by cwoy2j

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Nah, he had kind of a 70s era Parliament Funkadelic style song.

I'm pretty sure Flash's main theme (I think he had a different one briefly for his debut) is basically a ripoff of Rick James "punk funk" and the Mary Jane Girls based on the female vocals and the style of the bass line. Although, I would argue the female vocals sound more...em....Teena Marie-ish than Joanne McDuffie to say the least.

P-Funk stuff (especially the Bootsy era On the One stuff from the mid 70s glory days) was way more eccentric lyrically and complex musically. Flash Funk's whole style and look is basically 1981 Street Songs Rick James. Look at the boots.

• Like 6

a lot of this musical similarity can be attributed to one guy -- Jim Johnston -- writing most of them.  Of course he's going to sound like himself from time to time.  Not to mention his work is being commissioned by the same audience (i.e. Vince) all those years.

also, this one always seemed the most obvious to me, so I'm a bit surprised it wasn't the first similarity mentioned here, but The Rockers' theme is Warrior's theme with 1/8th notes instead of 1/4 notes. 

• Like 4

I didn't see it - did the AEW women blade? If so, ,isn't it excusable as "good for the goose, good for the gander?" If AEW's gonna have the men bleed, then it only seems fitting to have both bleed. Now if you disapprove of it across the board, then it's easy to take the high moral ground. But it's just a different style - WWE doesn't have blood, AEW does. 

Edited by jstout

12 minutes ago, jstout said:

I didn't see it - did the AEW women blade? If so, ,isn't it excusable as "good for the goose, good for the gander?" If AEW's gonna have the men bleed, then it only seems fitting to have both bleed. Now if you disapprove of it across the board, then it's easy to take the high moral ground. But it's just a different style - WWE doesn't have blood, AEW does. 

Yeah, but the thing is that Vince doesn't have a moral high ground given how he had no problem with "self mutilation" when he feels like making it part of his own company's stories and matches historically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

WWE had a match where someone removed another wrestler's eyeball. 

But sure, they're totally innocent. 

Their patrons in Saudi Arabia are famous for a blade job known as decapitation.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Psh, they stole it from Robespierre!

Demolition did it much better. I remember when Robespierre botched it in his match against the father of Jean Lafitte (of course Jean Pierre Lafitte's great great great great grandfather). Really brought the match down.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Without having time to do the legwork,  do we know when the last time a wwf/wwe woman did a blade job in a match? I'd presume most blood in recent times has been hardway. 

Interested in this as well… hell when was the last time there was a mens blade job and not hard way… it has to be years ago.

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Here's the song that this was somewhat lifted from...

Pretty good song.

If more people saw this video, Conrad Thompson would be out of a lot of money because this is definitely a sexy time song for all genders and there'd be no need for Blue Chew.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Interested in this as well… hell when was the last time there was a mens blade job and not hard way… it has to be years ago.

Probably the one Batista got in a lot of trouble for, during his cage match vs Jericho.

Also, Vince was busted open from an Owens headbutt a few years back, but that seemed like he bladed beforehand.

As for the women; didn't Lita blade in a match once?

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Even the Brood "bloodbath" Edge did Miz and Maryse avoided using the color red. Want to say all the blood we have seen the last decade or so is hard way or straight up fake. It took them years to even just leave hard way  alone as they were usually trying to get people taped up and covered before they let matches continue.