DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

4 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

That still doesn't quite top my own personal favorite Mid-South fan reaction, from when the Rock N Roll Express is demonstrating how a straight jacket works for an upcoming match where Jim Cornette is going to be restrained in one to prevent interference, and a teenage girl in the front row very visibly and angrily shouts "Awwwww SHIT!" as the Midnight Express interrupts the demo because she knows that Ricky and Robert are about to get destroyed in front of her very eyes.

Not a fan reaction but I love it when JR loses his shit when Eddie Gilbert drapes the Russian flag on Bill Watts. 

"They just put the flag on The Cowboy!"

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Not a fan reaction but I love it when JR loses his shit when Eddie Gilbert drapes the Russian flag on Bill Watts. 

So freaking great. Just a masterpiece from all parties involved. 

"Violence...I love it!" - Michael Hayes

• Like 2

Meltzer talked about the MLW lawsuit.  According to him, MLW is claiming Tubi killed the streaming deal 24 hours after Stephanie McMahon called Tubi executives and threatened to pull all WWE programming off Fox if Tubi did a deal with MLW.

Honestly, if Steph told that big a whopper and sold it, I'm more impressed than appalled.  The idea that Vince could - or would- yank SDL off Fox is probably farfetched.  It's possible, but not likely, that the Fox contract contains an easy out clause for WWE.  If they could void or end the contract, then what?  Who else is going to give Vince the sort of deal he wants?  USA supposedly didn't have the cash to land both shows, which is how Fox got SDL in the first place.  There have been rumors that Fox execs think they paid too much for SDL, so it's questionable whether anyone else would want to give them the same deal.  Annndddd, Vince supposedly really wants Smackdown on one of the Big 4 networks instead of cable.  

I've had to tell some tall tales in my professional career, but I dunno that I could make this one work without a few drinks first.  Lol, i feel inadequate now.  Steph's might be a much better salesman than I am.   God, I wish Tubi had called her bluff.  Fallout would have been fascinating.

I'm kind of skeptical that this actually happened.  If it did, I'm very skeptical MLW can prove it.

Regarding the MLW Fightland special, VICE was hoping it would keep half of DSotR's audience, and it pulled a bit more than 1/4 of Dark Side's rating. 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Great news: Moxley is back. He’ll be wrestling Homicide at the GCW Hammerstein show.

Better news (GCW spoilers for tonight)

Spoiler

Matt Cardona is the new ECW TV champion!

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I recently heard a Mashup of the Taz- and Roman Reigns-WWE Theme. Now I can't unhear it. Great. 

Are there other themes which are similar like those? 

Razor Ramon's theme and Stone Cold's theme have a similar beat to them, although they do sound different overall.

If you want to go way back, then Powers of Pain (as faces in the WWF) and 1-2-3 Kid's most famous theme sound awfully similar. One of those must be a bit of a miscast, then!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

How many different wrestlers used Call You Momma in WWF/WWE? Because it's a lot.

Off the top of my head 3. Ernest Miller, Brodus Clay and Xavier Woods (when he briefly "borrowed" the theme from Clay). Can't think of any others though.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Off the top of my head 3. Ernest Miller, Brodus Clay and Xavier Woods (when he briefly "borrowed" the theme from Clay). Can't think of any others though.

Didn't Too Cold Scorpio use it when he was Flash Funk?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I used to think Val Venis' theme sounded a lot like Rick Martel's "Model" theme, but that was 20+ years ago and I haven't done any recent comparisons.