DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The Apter mags made Yoshi fucking Kwan look like a bloodletting killer, man. They were these incredible hype machines for me as a kid.

Because of the Apter mags, I'm still waiting for Wildcat Wendell Cooley to jump to one of the Big 2 and win the IC or US title.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, L_W_P said:

Good topic for conversation actually - How did you all perceive WWF vs WCW growing up? Did having access to one or the other make you appreciate a certain style more?

I wonder how kids these days are with the differences between WWE and AEW.

I had WWWF, Florida, and Olympic Auditorium Spanish International Network shows on UHF when I was a kid. Florida seemed special because they showed clips of the house show matches. Florida also had the NWA title and lots of magazine stars. WWWF had much more talent than The Olympic at the time. Victor Rivera was a main eventer in LA, but a semi-final or tag team champ in WWWF. WWWF prelim guys went to LA and got pushes as Pork Chop, Java Ruuk, and Butcher Brannigan. However the LA TV show was more enjoyable than WWWF. LA was really weak when young Roddy Piper came in. Some shows he had a match, multiple interviews, and would just walk out in the middle of a match and walk outside the ring playing the bagpipes. They just needed to fill in time. There were jobbers that wrestled early in the show and wrestled again with a mask later.

In the 80's when Vince Jr. took over it was never the same when the promotion no longer was based around the MSG show every 4 weeks.

Into the 90's, ECW was never the same when the promotion no longer was based around the ECW arena show every 3 weeks.

• Like 6

i'm incredibly jealous of a lot of you that had so many wrestling choices. we either didn't get anything except WWF Superstars. and even that was inconsistent (or maybe i just preferred cartoons to pro wrestling?).

it wasn't until post-internet times when i got to discover all of these other promotions. but what an education!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ace said:

So this would be at least her 13th arrest in 10 years.

She is, to this day, the only person in the pro wrestling industry that I ever wrote a fan letter to.

Boy was I smitten when I was 15. 

Boy do I feel stupid about that these days.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ace said:

So this would be at least her 13th arrest in 10 years.

17-20, if her Wikipedia page is accurate.  I quit trying to count.  The past ten years of her life is a confusing mess of dui's parole violations, contempt of court citations, outstanding warrants in multiple states, etc.  I got a headache trying to sort it out.  Wiki probably mentions 40-50 separate charges, and I'm guessing it's either incomplete or overly summarized.  I'm thinking the actual number of arrests and charges is probably higher than what's reported on Wiki.  

I'm wondering how - or if - she managed to stay out of trouble until the early 2010's.

I remember Tammy when she was Candido's cute young girlfriend sitting in the top row of the bleachers with Chuck Richards and running around taking pictures when Chris wrestled. High School gym shows in NJ a long time ago. So sad what happened to both of them.

• Like 2

watching the Flair/DiBiase Mid-South match, and if you don't wanna look at the gruesome scene developing from Ted DiBiase's head, you can watch the horrified fans behind the hard camera, including a mother shielding the eyes of her child as Ted DiBiase gushes blood in the ring

It's a family show. Like when the kids got to watch Kevin Sullivan stab Kanemura's arm with a spike in Smoky Mountain.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Shane said:

This is one of those times I’m actually glad to be so friggin’ old. The sheer breadth of wrestling available to me on basic ass tv when I was like 10 definitely shaped me as a fan. WWF was omnipresent, but everything else I was watching was, at least to me at that age, so much more REAL. It wasn’t even necessarily NWA for me. I was immediately all in on World Class and, soon after, Watts’ UWF. 

Honestly, it’s probably why I was mostly into WWF heels, because at least they had a tiny bit of grit. The only WWF babyfaces I really remember latching onto in the mid-80s were Barry Windham and Tito Santana. I was probably a far more traditional “cheer the faces” sort of kid elsewhere, though. 

That is how it was for me. Until late 1990 there was no cable in my area. But with a roof top antenna and then rabbit ears also on the tv in my room I could watch on Saturday.

All 3 WWF syndicated shows,with Spotlight for some reason airing two times.

WCW worldwide

Mid South/UWF

Glow

Some show from Florida

Memphis

and for about 4 months teh revived Gulf Coast Championship Wrestling,this is when Uncle Elmer was running it,had a tv show.

Back then Mid South/UWF was can't miss. And the rest I would try to see,even usually watching both airings of Spotlight.

And most of this all aired on one channel. But we were also in a area where you could get 12 or 13 channels with an antenna.

When most of this was airing I was 10. Mid south/UWF was all the kids favorite. WCW and Memphis were next in popularity. Then Florida. And WWF was thought of as "that fake shit from up north". But still most of us kids watched all of it.

Somewhere's in a box I still got one or two betamax tapes with 2 hours of UWF and Memphis on them. They were from Saturdays I wasn't home. And by then since we got a VHS vcr in 83 the old Betamax dad bought in the late 70s got moved to my room.

Edited by bobholly138
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Peck said:

She is, to this day, the only person in the pro wrestling industry that I ever wrote a fan letter to.

Boy was I smitten when I was 15. 

Boy do I feel stupid about that these days.

If you saw the back and forth on twitter between Joe Rodgers and the private party  you may have heard what a scum bag Joe is.  If you didn't know he was the promoter who stiffed Balls Mahoney and others on their pay. Balls recorded the famous youtube video going to Joe's house and banging on his door to get the money back.

Long story short.  Joe had a show  in WV and he held an online raffle where a fan would get to have lunch with Sunny.  Sure enough day before the show Sunny no-showed and all of the fans were screwed. She wasn't even replaced with a name. 

Another promotion in the area tried booking her less than a year after.  Surprise she no showed again.  I wonder how many arrests it's going to take before 1 sticks and she gets Nick Gage jail time? Or cleans her shit up. 

Was Candido’s death a catalyst for her problems or was she privately a mess during the height of her fame?

Edited by Brisco
Stupid autocorrect *shakes fist in anger*

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching the Flair/DiBiase Mid-South match, and if you don't wanna look at the gruesome scene developing from Ted DiBiase's head, you can watch the horrified fans behind the hard camera, including a mother shielding the eyes of her child as Ted DiBiase gushes blood in the ring

It's a family show. Like when the kids got to watch Kevin Sullivan stab Kanemura's arm with a spike in Smoky Mountain.

To be fair Bill Watts did warn parents beforehand. 

I did a fun podcast with Tony Khan on this match and Mid-South booking

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/173fa5e9-8321-4bdc-a5e7-5288fa292ba0

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

That still doesn't quite top my own personal favorite Mid-South fan reaction, from when the Rock N Roll Express is demonstrating how a straight jacket works for an upcoming match where Jim Cornette is going to be restrained in one to prevent interference, and a teenage girl in the front row very visibly and angrily shouts "Awwwww SHIT!" as the Midnight Express interrupts the demo because she knows that Ricky and Robert are about to get destroyed in front of her very eyes.

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

To be fair Bill Watts did warn parents beforehand. 

I did a fun podcast with Tony Khan on this match and Mid-South booking

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/173fa5e9-8321-4bdc-a5e7-5288fa292ba0

The little girl in the front row for Flair/DiBiase might not have had a chance to see the match again on TV. Then there's two other women to the left who were looking horrified while Ted DiBiase was working over Flair in the corner. Like they all heard so much about this wrestling, decided to watch a show at the Boys Club, thought it'd be a good time, and got treated to a guy bleeding profusely within 10 feet of them.

Seeing the match in better quality than some of the versions online is great for the sake of people watching. Although Watts knew that most of the big out of the ring stuff had to happen directly in front of the hard camera, on the other side of the seats. The fencing at ringside also helps if any fans ever wondered "hey, why does everything outside the ring happen right there" "Because there's no room to do much between the ring and the rail" (aside from a gruesome bladejob on a post shot because either Murdoch sliced DiBiase or DiBiase sliced himself before the shot in a way that opened him the fuck up as soon as he touched anything)

Joel Watts, who seems like a mix of David Crockett and Kenneth the Intern from 30 Rock, did his best in the booth with Jim Ross.

• Like 2

My viewing habits growing up in Toronto:

WWF was definitely my home territory, with 3 shows (Championship/Superstars, All Star/Challenge/Cavalcade, and Maple Leaf Wrestling). Earliest memories were the Tito/Valentine feud for the IC title and Andre getting his hair cut, so around 1984.

We would also get other programs on TV...vividly remember my first JCP show (World Wide Wrestling where Magnum beat Wahoo in the cage for the US title, March 85). We also got International Wrestling from Montreal (remember seeing them recap the Garvins/Rougeaus St Jean Baptiste Day Massacre, June 1985) on CITYTV, got AWA on the NBC Buffalo affiliate (most vivid memory was thinking WTF about the Road Warriors losing to Garvin and Mr Electricity, September 1985) and Al Tomko's All Star Wrestling from Vancouver (I remember Buddy Wayne as the Atomic Kid teaming with The Frog as "The A-Team" in 1986...and probably saw our very own @Gordlowon the shows as well).

So WWF was the company I saw most as a kid, but from an early age I was aware of other promotions. Probably became more of a WCW fan as I got older.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

meanwhile, here's Jerry McDevitt with a drive-by shooting on MLW:

WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt provided a statement regarding the MLW anti-trust lawsuit that alleges that WWE interfered with potential MLW deals with Vice TV and Tubi streaming service.

MLW claims WWE pressured Tubi to drop the deal with MLW or they would pull SmackDown from FOX since FOX owns Tubi. 

Additionally, MLW claims WWE SVP Susan Levison called Vice executives to have the deal nixed because Vince McMahon was not happy about Vice airing MLW programming.

“I have not seen the full lawsuit since WWE has not been served,” McDevitt told Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. 

“If Tubi breached, then sue Tubi. As to Vice, WWE has no commercial relationship with them or for that matter any of the other dozens of content distribution entities with whom MLW could do a deal with if they had a commercially viable product. They put a show on Vice, if my memory serves me correctly after one of the Dark Side shows and lost most of the audience. I think I read they got 40,000 viewers. No wonder Vice did no further deal.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

MLW ran on Vice after the Johnny K-9/Bruiser Bedlam episode on October 7th (Jerry was on October 28th)

Knowing that MLW's Vice thing was a one-off, it's even more hilarious that they spent like 1/6th of their Vice hour on an insider news intermission segment since Court couldn't fit the jigsaw pieces together any other way.

I'm guessing it was a lot easier for Court to turn live shows into 4 weeks of Fusion episodes when the whole thing was airing on YouTube and all they had to do is iron out any continuity issues caused by not airing the matches in order.

I know not many people get the channel,but I've watched MLW most of the time on BeIN Sports. Was surprised when I learned we got it.

Oddly noticed that the Youtube shows sometimes have different things censored. Or like the last Battle Riot the BeIN Sports airing cut close to 20 minutes out of the match,where as Youtube aired the entire thing.

oh yeah, I actually get BeIN Sports and I always watched Fusion on YouTube instead 

There was someone on Wikipedia who'd keep updating the MTV Classic channel entry to mention how badly their ratings sucked, and BeIN Sports would be mentioned as a channel doing as badly as MTV Classic

One sentence still on that Wikipedia:

As of the end of May 2017, [MTV Classic]'s numbers have slipped even further to an average of 14,000 viewers per night, only ahead of the moribund Esquire Network and beIN Sports, which at that time of the year is in its non-prime sports season.

and reading further, holy fuck, this guy just typed up 700 words/4100 characters to the MTV Classic Wikipedia with stuff like...

"The entire broadcast of MTV is automated by a computer. Typically, rare videos are most commonly shown during the nighttime block “MTV Classic Videos”. Occasionally, about once a week, and for one hour only, MTV Classic will air rare seldom seen videos during a daytime block such as “I Want My 80s”, "90's Nation", “House of Pop”, "Rock Block", "Yo! Hip Hop Mix", "Total Request Playlist" etc. These videos may go months of even years before being aired again on the channel, similar to a radio station."

"Little is known about the operation of MTV Classic, such as the overall rotation of videos, licensing costs, viewership, etc. The MTV website makes little mention of the channel, and playlists are only archived by fans, such as YouTuber Aja Craig who has archived most video playlists of the channel since Summer 2020"

anyways... BeIN Sports apparently has lower viewership than a channel that draws most of its ratings from me playing the channel in the background and from various Wikipedia lunatics