DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I was going to say…yeah, they don’t even want to pay wrestlers in the US!

In that tip, I have to say the whole NIL thing freaks me out.  They’re firing wrestlers while paying pretty college athletes who may never become wrestlers but have good social media numbers.  Everything WWE is doing is as far away from pro wrestling as you can get.

The new mainstream is some random asshole doing things for likes. It’s the wave of the future.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

So in 1997 were WCW wrestlers paid a certain amount in bonus pay depending on placement on the card? I ask because if I was a mid-card performer I’d rather start a show with how hot the crowd is for action, than come in as the 4th match on a PPV. But if the bonus is different then I’d understand. 

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Thankfully, it’s easier than ever to quit WWE cold turkey.

Not going cold turkey, that's for sure. I got the AEW+ and watched all three main shows of this week and have about zero attachment to any of it so far, so it will take some time. I have next to zero attachment to current main show WWE, but the fringes and the old stuff still keep me going with the Network, at least.

• Like 3

I can watch complete old WWF to a certain point, just like I can watch old WCW to a certain point. For the WWF it’s roughly when RAW starts. I’ll watch some of the classics for that time, but I can safely say I’m not a fan WWF’s TV in 90’s. Their PPV output was much better than their TV programming from the same period. WCW is basically from 98’ on I have a hard time getting through. I’m going to power through this time to get to the logo change, but it’ll be a rough time.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

In that tip, I have to say the whole NIL thing freaks me out.  They’re firing wrestlers while paying pretty college athletes who may never become wrestlers but have good social media numbers.  Everything WWE is doing is as far away from pro wrestling as you can get.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

that's because they're an entertainment company.

All of this though there's very entertainment to go with.

I've said past two years my interest in WWE is at its lowest ever for the senile old man in charge with wrestlers up shit creek as a result through bad booking. I became a fan of wrestling as a five year old through the WWF. Bret Hart, Roddy Piper and The Undertaker. I'm now 36. I've stuck through the good times and the bad times. I stayed at the darkest point, the Chris Benoit double murder suicide in June 2007. The way this company treats people is such a turnoff from those getting fired like William Regal. Regal for fuck's sake. Then you see the people WWE associates with, bringing F'n Hulk Hogan back and the relationship with Saudi Arabia. Morally bankrupt so I'm thinking of cashing out and it sucks as I want to support the talent but it's getting harder to do so for the given reasons. It's the closest I'm coming to saying enough is enough and it's time for a change as the late, great Owen Hart says.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

I just canceled Peacock.  Since I’m really not interested in the current product and I’m really not much for nostalgia for things I’ve already seen.  

The one remaining thread is my interest in all the Old School house shows that I never got to see.  Years of Saturday morning syndicated shows in the 80s selling me on shows I had no hope of ever seeing.  Yet right here is a fair amount of those shows collected from NESN or MSG Networks etc.  So it’s harking back to an older time but I’m seeing a lot of it for the first time.  Only I’ll be watching on YouTube instead now.

Its still sort of nostalgia, I guess.  But I don’t really get a “it brings me back” sort of feeling.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 3

I was listening to Charlie Haas on Rene Dupree's Podcast and he said because Pro Wrestling isn't %100 sport by having college athletes signed especially collegiate wrestlers and football players etc they'll can make a killing off these athletes.

I haven't heard Nick Khan mention anything about developmental outside of the performance center. 

Haas mentioned even if Gable Steveson never steps foot in a  WWE ring, Vince is making money just by having him under contract as an NCAA athlete 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So in 1997 were WCW wrestlers paid a certain amount in bonus pay depending on placement on the card? I ask because if I was a mid-card performer I’d rather start a show with how hot the crowd is for action, than come in as the 4th match on a PPV. But if the bonus is different then I’d understand. 

No WCW was straight salary with no bonus income. Except Hogan who got a percentage off of the PPVs he worked. No merch bonuses or live event payoffs. Just straight up X dollars per year paid out biweekly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m sure you’ll get into Instagram followers or something. She’s not nearly as big a deal as you think she is, Disney+ or no. There’s zero reasoning with Sasha Stans. They’ve made their mind up that the company would be underwater without her for some reason, even though it managed just fine when she went home to pout for six months. Enjoy the legit botch. Forget I said anything.

With all due respect, saying that Sasha Banks isn't a top star in WWE is the opposite version of the same energy you're complaining about.

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 2

Regarding Moose:

I could have sworn at one point he claimed that he turned down an offer from WWE

Now how much of that is truth - who knows - but it is possible that it wasn't entirely on the WWE for him not ending up there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I just canceled Peacock.  Since I’m really not interested in the current product and I’m really not much for nostalgia for things I’ve already seen.  

The one remaining thread is my interest in all the Old School house shows that I never got to see.  Years of Saturday morning syndicated shows in the 80s selling me on shows I had no hope of ever seeing.  Yet right here is a fair amount of those shows collected from NESN or MSG Networks etc.  So it’s harking back to an older time but I’m seeing a lot of it for the first time.  Only I’ll be watching on YouTube instead now.

Its still sort of nostalgia, I guess.  But I don’t really get a “it brings me back” sort of feeling.

Care to share names of the YouTube channels with the old house shows?  I get my old timey fix from Monsoon Classic and Classic Wrestling Stuff right now.  I just watched 1986 UWF and saw Koko Ware vs Rob Recksteiner.  That was pretty wild because I never knew Steiner ever worked under his real name.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Moose:

I could have sworn at one point he claimed that he turned down an offer from WWE

Now how much of that is truth - who knows - but it is possible that it wasn't entirely on the WWE for him not ending up there.

I remember it was because IMPACT offered him more at the time, or so the news stated.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Five years now, for me, and zero regrets.  This is coming from a lifelong fan who got into wrestling in 1985 because of WWF.  

My friend, I got into wrestling the same way because of WWF. I was born in March 1985.

Moose has a domestic violence charge in his past history, which caused WWE to back off signing him years ago. He probably just missed his window to get signed because of that, and at his age, WWE doesn’t value him as much as Impact does.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Not going cold turkey, that's for sure. I got the AEW+ and watched all three main shows of this week and have about zero attachment to any of it so far, so it will take some time. I have next to zero attachment to current main show WWE, but the fringes and the old stuff still keep me going with the Network, at least.

Yeah, Cold Turkey probably isn't the term. If WWE starts posting 82 MSG shows or a bunch of dark matches from 90s tapings that'd never seen light (or if our friend in Kuwait starts posting more never before seen 82-6 WWF in Kuwait matches), etc., we'll watch them for New Footage Friday.

My point is that it's easier than ever to see things period. MAYBE there was a point a few years back when someone like Monsoon Classic had so much WWF on youtube that you could just watch whatever you wanted more easily or before NJPW really clamped down on things, for instance, but now there are ways around all that with a little effort.

In any given week I do watch a chunk of AEW but I'm also watching two French Catch shows (we're up to 1970) and whatever we can put together for NFF (this week it was a random Terry Rudge match from 90, a new mid 90s Santo/Panther/Fuerza tag from Japan, and Ishikawa vs Chocoball Mukai from 03; next week it'll probably be a mid 90s CMLL HH that Roy Lucier put up from the Tenay collection now that he's posting again). Some weeks I watch Uncharted Territory to see what's going on with the indy scene. Now and again I'll watch a TJPW show just to see something different. And I watch AJPW from 1990 about every other day and I'll be switching over to 86 NJPW soon. Someone said last night that the first 90 minutes of the TNA show was the best 90 minutes of any TNA show ever. There's all the stuff DEAN posts. Apparently Highspots has a ton of Shimmer now. Pretty much every show over the last 10 years all over the world has been recorded by someone. And almost everything else that WAS recorded before it is out there to be seen somewhere now, through legitimate means or hook or crook. 

If you (here a general you, not necessarily you you) want to put up with the quick Dunn cuts and the corporate speak/commentary and the carefully structured matches re: commercial breaks and the pulling the football away from fans and talent again and again and again and again and again, more power to you. But you don't have to. Or yeah, like you said, if you just want to watch 205 live and Main Event, and whatever else is on the fringes, go for it.

But it's easier than ever not to. That was my point.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Moose had a DV arrest in 2009 when he was playing for the Falcons. The period between him leaving ROH and before he popped up in Impact folks assumed he was going to go to WWE but then the story resurfaced and next thing ya know he was in Impact as Mike Bennett's muscle. https://web.archive.org/web/20110927210732/http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2009/05/29/falcons_ojinnaka_arrested.html

This section of the board isn't for debates on how long should someone be barred from doing XYZ because of a prior incident but Moose still defends the Chasyn Rance dude and will occasionally say other really dumb stuff on social media so I wonder if it's a case of WWE deciding the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. 

Saying he came back as Bennett's "muscle" was inaccurate...I was watching Impact at the time and he was in REMARKABLY bad shape when he came into Impact. It was fascinating, here he was in ROH looking big and cut, and a week later he was in Impact looking like a human lava lamp..

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, caley said:

Saying he came back as Bennett's "muscle" was inaccurate...I was watching Impact at the time and he was in REMARKABLY bad shape when he came into Impact. It was fascinating, here he was in ROH looking big and cut, and a week later he was in Impact looking like a human lava lamp..

LOL I was watching too and Moose didn't really get super cut until the last 2 years or so. Even in ROH he still had some residual bulk from being a OL.

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Care to share names of the YouTube channels with the old house shows?  I get my old timey fix from Monsoon Classic and Classic Wrestling Stuff right now.  I just watched 1986 UWF and saw Koko Ware vs Rob Recksteiner.  That was pretty wild because I never knew Steiner ever worked under his real name.  

Well those are two channels I’m already subscribed to.  Lol 

Here is one:

https://youtube.com/c/4wrestlingfans

And another:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCx3LhVxBD9m6IYEPY1Tpu1A

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No WCW was straight salary with no bonus income. Except Hogan who got a percentage off of the PPVs he worked. No merch bonuses or live event payoffs. Just straight up X dollars per year paid out biweekly.

Didn't Hall and Nash also get t-shirt or promo money though? I remember hearing one of them say that's the reason that they and Hogan always wore nWo t-shirts whenever they were doing anything on camera. It would count as a promotional appearance or something like that and they got extra money. 

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Haas mentioned even if Gable Steveson never steps foot in a  WWE ring, Vince is making money just by having him under contract as an NCAA athlete 

How?

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Molly Holly does double duty as Molly Holly and Mona. Molly Holly's a sweetheart. Love Molly Holly.

Might Molly is right there!

And she could help save Nikki ASH from being eliminated.

AND they could double team someone like Piper Niven for a great pop.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

How?

Some NCAA rule that allows people to make money off NCAA athletes. Something that came into effect a few years ago. I'm not knowledgeable about sports but I do remember that there was an issue years ago about coaches making money off athletes and the athletes not getting a crumb but according to Haas because Pro Wrestling isn't really good sport Vince gets to make bread off having these  guys under contract. I'm someone else can explain it better than me