DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

Or they could, you know, elevate some new women instead of leaning on the same tired old shit? 

They won't even do that for the men, what makes you think they'd even try to get a new woman over?

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They won't even do that for the men, what makes you think they'd even try to get a new woman over?

I mean, they're two injuries and one more pregnancy away from not being able to have a six woman tag on tv, but your point is well made...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sasha elevated someone at WM and then for the rest of 2021 Charlotte and Lynch crapped on that.. 

I'm not disputing that Bianca has been booked like shit since Summerslam. I am 100% disputing that the Wrestlemania match did a goddamn thing for her that wasn't already done. If anything, Bianca gave Sasha some credibility back. It was a great match, though.

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’m not entirely sure how or why they didn’t hire Moose at some point over the last 3-4 years.  Even in his RoH days I assumed he would end up in WWE.

in regards to point 2, the thought did occur to me that Vince’s knowledge of the releases in the last 6 months might be minimal.

Moose had a DV arrest in 2009 when he was playing for the Falcons. The period between him leaving ROH and before he popped up in Impact folks assumed he was going to go to WWE but then the story resurfaced and next thing ya know he was in Impact as Mike Bennett's muscle. https://web.archive.org/web/20110927210732/http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2009/05/29/falcons_ojinnaka_arrested.html

This section of the board isn't for debates on how long should someone be barred from doing XYZ because of a prior incident but Moose still defends the Chasyn Rance dude and will occasionally say other really dumb stuff on social media so I wonder if it's a case of WWE deciding the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will say in regards to this year's women's match - the only folks they announced that I would consider surprises would be Mickie James (because of being with Impact and they way her firing was handled) and Summer Rae (because she hadn't returned in forever)

I think by this point every expects the Bellas, Lita, Michelle McCool, etc..

There are still 4 more main roster women who will/can be added (Liv Morgan or Doudrop, Alexa Bliss, Xi Li, Bianca Belair) so you are at 23

Then I assume 3-5 from NXT as usual (my guess would be Mandy Rose and Toxic Attraction and then some others). Lets say the do just those - that's 26

It is pretty easy to get 4 from the usual pool of "Divas" (Trish Stratus, Molly Holly, etc..)

Oh and I totally forgot there is a decent chance Bayley will be back.

Basically I think they can easily fill it without worrying about the recently fired not wanting to return their phone calls.

Molly Holly does double duty as Molly Holly and Mona. Molly Holly's a sweetheart. Love Molly Holly.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nonsense.  She needed that...  over the top star.   Then Lynch and Charlotte came along and welp...   

Its when you say “over the top star,” and then imply that you’re unironically referring to Sasha banks as that over the top star. That’s when I roll my eyes.

Bianca Belair deserved to main event wrestlemania. Sasha was smart enough to ride her coattails into that match. 

the wwe has a horsewomen problem. Sasha isn’t excluded from that diagnoses.

Edited by just drew

Be cool getting Victoria back as she appeared in the last Women's Royal Rumble. You need to space out the returnees otherwise it's the law of diminishing returns for some you want to see again while others you don't. I hope this is the first Women's Royal Rumble match someone goes an hour. We've had a few go 50+.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

Its when you say “over the top star,” and then imply that you’re unironically referring to Sasha banks as that over the top star. That’s when I roll my eyes

There's a lot of strong evidence to back up my statement if that's where you want to go with this discussion. I would be more than happy to get into that. 

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

Bianca Belair deserved to main event wrestlemania. Sasha was smart enough to ride her coattails into that match. 

Did Bianca get major ratings? I don't recall her being more over than Sasha. I don't recall her having great performances before that Sasha match which Sasha led. And Bianca certainly wasn't one of the people keeping things entertaining during that first year of COVID and the Thunderdome. I like Bianca, but there is nothing saying she deserved that main event more than Sasha, let alone that Sasha rode her coattails into the match. FFS Sasha was the champion at the time. Beyond that its the two of them together in that main event that made it something historic.

Its fine that you dislike all of the Horsewomen save Bayley, but this is taking things to a slightly ridiculous level.

• Haha 1

I bought a ginormous lot of WWE-produced DVD as a Christmas gift for myself and it's been fun going through them - my meager funds were all wired to the usual suspects of comp curators and puroresu bootleggers. My best friends/backyard booking subjects had piles of those "I'VE HAD SURGERY. FIVE TIMES. IN MY LEFT KNEE." DVDs and I was always kinda jealous but now I'm buying em all for <$5 on eBay. The documentaries, talking heads-over-poorly mixed stock music, are what they are. They're a fine thing to clean your living room to. And the vintage stuff certainly includes some cool left-field picks (and some really cool alternate commentary tracks). But the most valuable collections seem to be what they were doing with the ECW library, I don't want to say they're essential because they're light on a lot of things (New Jack, non-Philly shows, early Dudleys, etc.) but all those Bloodsport, Unreleased, and Extreme Rules releases are really tightly put together and flow well match-to-match.

Watching them all makes me ask a question that I always have to ask... why are so many old ECW matches long as fuck? It's kind of a rhetorical question I guess. They were laid out for crowds and tape, not live TV. That ECW, despite its hardcore trappings, still wanted to (any maybe was) the US workrate promotion of the mid-nineties, that the house style was established as a post-NWA house show kind of thing well before the promotion got super popular. And maybe the production values and the one-man booth make the moment-to-moment wrestling blend together more than a more glamorous product would. But damn, man, those main events (especially the tag matches) just go on forever, it's like listening to the mid-career work of a really good singer-songwriter who knows exactly how talented they are. They bask in their own semigenius and write every song with one too many verses. It's a very consistent flaw.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's a lot of strong evidence to back up my statement if that's where you want to go with this discussion. I would be more than happy to get into that. 

I’m sure you’ll get into Instagram followers or something. She’s not nearly as big a deal as you think she is, Disney+ or no. There’s zero reasoning with Sasha Stans. They’ve made their mind up that the company would be underwater without her for some reason, even though it managed just fine when she went home to pout for six months. Enjoy the legit botch. Forget I said anything.

Edited by just drew

3 hours ago, Dog said:

For whatever it's worth, Charlotte said she wanted to lose the belt to Bianca her last night on Raw. But that wasn't the plan.

I buy that. Everyone hating Charlotte Flair's level on the card and booking often act like she's booking herself. You can complain about matches, stiffness, and slaps sure. But she's not booking herself at the top.

And for whatever it's worth, at the post SummerSlam Super House show we were at, Charlotte was in the top three most over performers there, despite being a heel. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Did Bianca get major ratings? I don't recall her being more over than Sasha. I don't recall her having great performances before that Sasha match which Sasha led. And Bianca certainly wasn't one of the people keeping things entertaining during that first year of COVID and the Thunderdome. I like Bianca, but there is nothing saying she deserved that main event more than Sasha, let alone that Sasha rode her coattails into the match. FFS Sasha was the champion at the time. Beyond that its the two of them together in that main event that made it something historic.

Its fine that you dislike all of the Horsewomen save Bayley, but this is taking things to a slightly ridiculous level.

Bianca's road to WrestleMania was perfect for her because yeah it was textbook booking but it was a win people wanted to see. Sasha was the perfect peron to have that match with. It's too bad Bayley was hurt because she would have been a perfect person for her to continue to feud with after WrestleMania Plus they both had good chemistry. Just like Big E and most the other recent New Champs, they don't do good at giving the new Champs anything interesting after they get the big win. Even with the low ratings and low crowds the fans are hot for these people finally winning the title. It's just no investment. Unless your Charlotte or Roman or Becky there is no real intention on  giving anyone credibility. At least they've tried with Drew McIntyre. He was probably WrestleMania main event bound against Brock or Roman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m sure you’ll get into Instagram followers or something. She’s not nearly as big a deal as you think she is, Disney+ or no. There’s zero reasoning with Sasha Stans. They’ve made their mind up that the company would be underwater without her for some reason, even though it managed just fine when she went home to pout for six months. Enjoy the legit botch. Forget I said anything.

What kind of reply is this? No, I was not going to get into Instagram followers, there's much more significant evidence of her overall impact than that but we can let the discussion die if that's your wish lol 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Molly Holly does double duty as Molly Holly and Mona. Molly Holly's a sweetheart. Love Molly Holly.

It would be awesome if she brought back the old Ms. Madness 99 gimmick. I remember her taking off her heels to missile dropkick Kevin Nash once.

tumblr_mfx75hRBlY1ree9s5o1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

I was going to say…yeah, they don’t even want to pay wrestlers in the US!

In that tip, I have to say the whole NIL thing freaks me out.  They’re firing wrestlers while paying pretty college athletes who may never become wrestlers but have good social media numbers.  Everything WWE is doing is as far away from pro wrestling as you can get.

• Like 1