DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

I guess this would explain moving Charlotte into the Royal Rumble since reportedly the Mania plan was Charlotte vs. Sasha

Side note - at the time of the injury it was said to be a sprained knee so who knows if this is one of those weird "WWE doesn't want to admit what the real injury is" things

• Sad 3

This might not be a great thing for the WWE to essentially admit for PR reasons but 30 woman Royal Rumbles on the same card as the regular Royal Rumble is probably overkill. But if they went to 20 women, there’d be people whizzing on that from a variety of angles too.

I guess that the surprise cameos are a little less likely this year with a portion of non-WWE wrestlers being people who were fired from the WWE within the last 2 years. Not sure if one wants to go through the 30 male Rumble entrants from last year to count how many lost their jobs since last year.

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess that the surprise cameos are a little less likely this year with a portion of non-WWE wrestlers being people who were fired from the WWE within the last 2 years. Not sure if one wants to go through the 30 male Rumble entrants from last year to count how many lost their jobs since last year.

5 from 2021 (Jeff Hardy, John Morrison, Elias, Daniel Bryan, Braun Strowman)

9 from 2020 (Elias, Erick Rowan, John Morrison, Keith Lee, Braun Strowman, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows, Aleister Black, Samoa Joe)

Unique men's wrestlers - 11

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit, who had “understaffed due to firings, WWE borrows talent from Impact to fill Rumble spots” in their 2022 predictions?  Weirdest timeline.

Is there more than one Impact wrestler in Mickie James?

I will say in regards to this year's women's match - the only folks they announced that I would consider surprises would be Mickie James (because of being with Impact and they way her firing was handled) and Summer Rae (because she hadn't returned in forever)

I think by this point every expects the Bellas, Lita, Michelle McCool, etc..

There are still 4 more main roster women who will/can be added (Liv Morgan or Doudrop, Alexa Bliss, Xi Li, Bianca Belair) so you are at 23

Then I assume 3-5 from NXT as usual (my guess would be Mandy Rose and Toxic Attraction and then some others). Lets say the do just those - that's 26

It is pretty easy to get 4 from the usual pool of "Divas" (Trish Stratus, Molly Holly, etc..)

Oh and I totally forgot there is a decent chance Bayley will be back.

Basically I think they can easily fill it without worrying about the recently fired not wanting to return their phone calls.

Now, if Moose makes a Rumble cameo this year, there's a variety of takes one could have about that (depth, ethics, etc)

It wouldn't shock me if they just decide in the next 3 weeks to bring Strowman back for at least a Rumble cameo or a new contract on the Jimmy Wang Yang principle of Vince not realizing he fired Strowman somehow.

18 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just rewatched the Nitro after Uncensored 97’. Nothing may really top the pop Sting gets for clearing the ring at the PPV, but the following nights pop gets pretty close. The way the fans react you think we just won WWII. The following episode the fans go almost as crazy for Dean Malenko beating Konnan with the Cloverleaf. 

WCW crowds were absolutely on fire in 1997.

Also something to point out, the fans absolutely detest Larry Z in Duluth, Minnesota when they go to the commentary table after the Malenko match. Why is that? Is it because of his AWA run?

I'm thinking they hated Larry due to the AWA stuff.

You are dead right about the 97 crowds.  One thing that was cool to me about the big wrestling boom of 97-99 is that you would get shows in small towns.  We finally had WCW in Erie PA.  Hell we had WCW in Buffalo also. Things that we just didn't get before that and when we would get those shows the crowd would turn up and be hot for them. Sadly WCW being WCW we would also get a shit load of no shows and screw job finishes but it was better than nothing. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

5 from 2021 (Jeff Hardy, John Morrison, Elias, Daniel Bryan, Braun Strowman)

9 from 2020 (Elias, Erick Rowan, John Morrison, Keith Lee, Braun Strowman, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows, Aleister Black, Samoa Joe)

Unique men's wrestlers - 11

Elias? I'm so confused and just combed through the purge threads and did a Google search and while there is a lot of speculation about him not being used, I saw nothing about him being released...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Elias? I'm so confused and just combed through the purge threads and did a Google search and while there is a lot of speculation about him not being used, I saw nothing about him being released...

To be fair - I messed that up.

They definitely aren't using him and I thought I read that they were just gonna let his contract run out. So I might have jumped the gun there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I'll admit, I really want the Brock/Roman stuff to somehow end up with one of them hiring Bivens to counteract Heyman.

what's Lou E. Dangerously doing? (that's former director of Promotions and Event Marketing Lou D'Angeli to you, bub)

Also watching some 1995/96 ECW means being amused at the possible pettiness going on during the Sign Guy/Sign Guy Dudley feud, like the competing similar gigantic signs

• Like 2

Biffbusickacdcpushup.jpg

If we give back The Last Battle of Atlanta can we get footage of this? Vince and Biff doing shirtless pushups in Vince's office with the t-rex skull on the wall and ACDC blasting.
Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

what's Lou E. Dangerously doing? (that's former director of Promotions and Event Marketing Lou D'Angeli to you, bub)

Also watching some 1995/96 ECW means being amused at the possible pettiness going on during the Sign Guy/Sign Guy Dudley feud, like the competing similar gigantic signs

With any luck, staying under whatever rock he slithered under when ECW went under.

Knowing how fucking shitty and legit threatening D'Angeli and Bubba were being to Sign gun has me in the "Fuck them" camp.

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised WWE hasn't split the Royal Rumble into a 2-NIGHT EXTRAVAGANZA! Night 1 you run the Raw World Title, SD Women's World Title and Women's Royal Rumble, and Night 2 you do the SD World Title, Raw Women's Title and Men's Royal Rumble. I think the attendance would be pretty decent as no matter how bad the booking, people always get excited for the Rumble, itself and putting each one on a separate night gives each night a drawing match and reduces the repetitiveness.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Youd prob get some nonsense like someone not being eliminated in the night 1 Rumble and then coming out in Night 2 and saying they’ve lasted 24 hours in the Rumble.

Santino in drag hides under the ring during the women’s rumble, re-enters ring during men’s rumble 24 hours later, is confused and is immediately eliminated while the announcers attempt to one-up each other with fake laughing.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Now, if Moose makes a Rumble cameo this year, there's a variety of takes one could have about that (depth, ethics, etc)

It wouldn't shock me if they just decide in the next 3 weeks to bring Strowman back for at least a Rumble cameo or a new contract on the Jimmy Wang Yang principle of Vince not realizing he fired Strowman somehow.

I’m not entirely sure how or why they didn’t hire Moose at some point over the last 3-4 years.  Even in his RoH days I assumed he would end up in WWE.

in regards to point 2, the thought did occur to me that Vince’s knowledge of the releases in the last 6 months might be minimal.

Edited by Ultimo Necro

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So Sasha should be at Dallas.  They can just have someone from RAW advance through the Royal Rumble. 

Or they could, you know, elevate some new women instead of leaning on the same tired old shit? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

Or they could, you know, elevate some new women instead of leaning on the same tired old shit? 

They won't even do that for the men, what makes you think they'd even try to get a new woman over?

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They won't even do that for the men, what makes you think they'd even try to get a new woman over?

I mean, they're two injuries and one more pregnancy away from not being able to have a six woman tag on tv, but your point is well made...

• Haha 1