DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dave apparently wrote this

???

Ok, now I understand why Vince didn't just shut down NXT.  He needs a pipeline to healthy organs and young bodies.

The Austin Theory stuff makes soooo much more sense now.  Calling it now.  Vince Frankentheory is going to win the WWE title in 2023.

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Ok, now I understand why Vince didn't just shut down NXT.  He needs a pipeline to healthy organs and young bodies.

The Austin Theory stuff makes soooo much more sense now.  Calling it now.  Vince Frankentheory is going to win the WWE title in 2023.

Treehouse-of-Horror-2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

With that bad ticker? He’s going with Steph. He always dreamed of being in her.

Jesus. 

Fine, take your like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, ThatTCGuy said:

I'm not sure what the point of sticking WALTER in NXT is now that he's moved to the states. There aren't really any interesting opponents for him there and he doesn't fit with the show's overall direction at all. Just put him on the main roster.

The point is to have these "indie" people put over the existing NXT 2.0 guys, like with Ciampa and Bron Breakker. Once they've fulfilled their role in making people like Bron, Joe Gacy, Tony D'Angelo, etc. seem legit, they're either going to the main roster to be completely changed (Kross, Keith Lee) or just let go.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

He’ll be out of the company by 2023. Save this post.

Next round of cuts, I'd put money on it. He's not what they want, and he fits the criteria of "just moved his entire life here, let's really fuck things up for him".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

New Day vs Usos just may very well be this generation's Jimmy Snuka vs Metal Maniac.

I remember PWI did a story on the never ending Snuka/Maniac feud. IIRC, they were talking about how Snuka was still trying to work his way back to the WWF but Maniac wouldn't leave him alone or something like that.

Considering the sheer number of very good/great matches the Usos and New Day have against each other - I am fine with them continuing their best of a million series.

• Like 2

I just rewatched the Nitro after Uncensored 97’. Nothing may really top the pop Sting gets for clearing the ring at the PPV, but the following nights pop gets pretty close. The way the fans react you think we just won WWII. The following episode the fans go almost as crazy for Dean Malenko beating Konnan with the Cloverleaf. 

WCW crowds were absolutely on fire in 1997.

Also something to point out, the fans absolutely detest Larry Z in Duluth, Minnesota when they go to the commentary table after the Malenko match. Why is that? Is it because of his AWA run?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

some fans sorta have a habit of being unhappy if some cool match is on free TV or noting how a certain matchup happens too often or whatever.. the criticism for showing too much on TV is sorta.. yeah.

As for 1997 WCW... PPVs in Cedar Rapids, San Francisco, North Charleston, Tupelo, Charlotte, Moline, Daytona Beach, Sturgis, Winston-Salem, Las Vegas, Auburn Hills, and Washington DC. That's a pretty impressive stretch of putting PPVs in mid/small markets before getting into the stretch run of 1997.

Meanwhile WWF's 1997 lineup was San Antonio, Chattanooga, Chicago, Rochester, Richmond, Providence, Calgary, East Rutherford, Louisville, St. Louis, Montreal, and Springfield Massachusetts.

So the more successful company of the two was probably putting more Nitros in big places than PPVs.

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Walter vs Bron would be a good matchup for finding out how much Bron wants an Austrian dude to work stiff with him.

if Rick Steiner and Walter were working at the same time, I'd think that Rick would try knocking Walter out with a Steinerline before possibly deciding that Walter is a dude he'd wanna work with every night as they do Wahoo vs Johnny Valentine matches

29 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I always thought Vince’s immortality scheme would have been “head in a jar mounted on a huge robot” ala Robo-Nixon from Futurama.

So I guess Hunter gets to be Agnew?

As petty as Vince is, he’ll probably have his head put in Sean O’Shea’s body when the time comes (O’Shea was the prosecutor in Vince’s steroid trial).

• Like 1

WWE mostly gutted most of the people who started working for WWE from the last decade, people in the back, creative, and business wise at the top. Also people who started working for WWE from previous decades. Not a clean sweep but maybe later.

NXT 2.0 will further change now that those guys from NXT creative and "booking" are gone.  David Kapoor himself was responsible for most of the stuff on NXT, and was important. He was also one of the ones responsible for some of the creative stuff on Raw and Smackdown last decade.

205 is no longer the Cruiserweight show and the shows only belt is done away with. Eventually WWE could release more of the remaining small guys left in WWE.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

NXT is probably gonna become the WWE/ECW post-Heyman soon enough unless USA has a strongly held opinion about the quality of the show that's airing on their network in primetime

WWECW 2009 is the best TV year of any single WWE show in the last 15 years though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

As for 1997 WCW... PPVs in Cedar Rapids, San Francisco, North Charleston, Tupelo, Charlotte, Moline, Daytona Beach, Sturgis, Winston-Salem, Las Vegas, Auburn Hills, and Washington DC. That's a pretty impressive stretch of putting PPVs in mid/small markets before getting into the stretch run of 1997.

Bischoff talked about this a few times on 83 weeks. The reason why Tupelo kept getting Uncensored is because basically WCW was anti-union and felt it was much easier running those markets. Plus, the calendar for where they would run events would be laid out the year before. In 95/96, Nitro was running in some random places much like Raw would be taped in random places just because the touring schedule determined where they would be. It was still sorta happening in 97, but it worked. You got GAB 97 in Moline, but the next night you get the goosebump inducing, insane pop Hogan and Rodman got when they came out to Voodoo Chile and were introduced by Buffer at the United Center.

• Like 1