DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

You say that but tell me that those two guys leading in a group of say Keith Lee, Kross, DIY, Scarlett and Mia Yim for a 12 month 'invasion' program wouldn't melt the internet?

I'd back AEW to do it right and put the invaders over enough to establish the threat before finally putting them away.

I’d pay a dollar to see that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

At this point Hunter should buy out the front row of Dynamite and just have his boys sit down facing the hard cam for a few hours. The crowd would go fucking ballistic and it would put the ball firmly in TK's court.

Time to get out while the gettin's good.

I can hear his promo now

"I've had guys on the inside for quite some time now" 

Cole, Fish, and O'Reilly attack the ELITE.

• Like 1

Last night's ratings aren't on ShowBuzzDaily right now but looking at Tuesday the 28th, NXT was 15th in 18-49 on USA, behind 4 different bowl games, Chopped, Vanderpump Rules, 7 Little Johnstons, Tucker Carlson, Curse of Oak Island, The Five, Hannity, I Am Jazz, House Hunters, and a 1:37am Sportscenter.

On December 21st, NXT was 46th in 18-49. On December 14th, it was 36th.

Was just checking since my first instinct is that the WWE might be better off product-wise if they didn't put NXT on USA, but at the same time, it's cable so it could do reasonably well and while USA has consumed the former NBC Sports Network, USA might not be airing primetime sports on weeknights for a little bit.

Not sure if we'll find out how many weeknight A-10 Basketball on USA. USA is carrying NBCSN's A-10 Basketball on Saturdays though.

Most of what USA absorbed is morning/afternoon sports now that NBC/Comcast doesn't have NHL rights. The PL, the Tour de France/Vuelta de Espana, and various tennis tournaments are not going to really go into those primetime hours (or will be heavily edited on cable into one- or two-hour packages while the whole event will be available via Peacock, like they do with the Tour de France). 

WWE really lucked out with NBC's strategy there because I was sure that they'd try to retain NHL rights and that they'd put those games on USA and pre-empt RAW a whole lot, but nope. 

(Then again, NBC is willing to use CNBC for sporting events when necessary, so it's possible that RAW would have been moved to CNBC on some nights as a worst-case scenario.)

USA is airing Olympic Trials in primetime for most of tomorrow night and I suspect USA is gonna be one of the big Winter Olympics hubs in a few weeks. But the WWE wasn't getting bumped around by USA carrying the Summer Olympics a few months ago, so I suspect the Winter Olympics won't move them. Especially since anything worth showing on Mondays would land on NBC.

Also the Winter Olympics sorta has lower anticipation than the Summer Olympics had in the summer, since there's some element of "how is this gonna be pulled off" along with the fact that it's been like 6 months between Olympics.

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

Thanks to all this BS going on in NXT, I finally got around to getting the FITE.tv app. It may be time to switch over to AEW. Or at least keep all the options open.

simpsons-homer.gif

I cut WWE out of my wrestling viewing habits in 2019 and I've been so much happier.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

simpsons-homer.gif

I cut WWE out of my wrestling viewing habits in 2019 and I've been so much happier.

Tempted, that's for sure!

Ok, you've got it! Tomorrow is payday, so I'll be getting a year's worth of AEW Plus!

Edited by Shartnado
I'm there!
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It would never happen, but a 30 for 30-ish documentary about the history of NXT would be fascinating.

Really would. How NXT started out as a reality show in 2010 with pro/rookie pairings to the reboot in 2012, 2013-2018 highpoint and what it's now with 2.0.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Man - a banger series of matches since the start of 2022:

- Usos vs New Day

- Five way for the WWE belt

- Kiyomiya vs Kenou

- Shiozaki vs Nakajima

- Ito vs Noa

- Yamashita vs Mizuki

- Four-way on Raw

- an over-delivered NXT show

-  Shingo vs Okada

- Will vs Okada

- Tana vs Kenta

- Shibata vs Narita

- Despy vs Hiromu

- Page vs Danielson.

Just an awesome start to the year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Magically the day before a live Smackdown where Brock says he will be there for Roman..   Hope Roman is feeling well. My boss has it now and is vaxed. Says he has never felt so tired in his life.  

Well, the current CDC guideline is five days, and Roman tested positive on Saturday, at the latest, so..... doesn't seem like any magic involved.  Raw made it obvious that they were at least hoping Roman would be back in time for SDL.

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Magically the day before a live Smackdown where Brock says he will be there for Roman..   Hope Roman is feeling well. My boss has it now and is vaxed. Says he has never felt so tired in his life.  

I had it around Christmas and I still feel a little run down from it. And I'm vaccinated too. Of course I'm not nearly in the same kind of shape Roman is in so maybe he'll be better off

• Like 1

Confirming what was pretty much already expected

The next WWE Saudi show will be in February. Saturday, Feb 19 to be exact

That show will be the last PPV before Mania

• Like 1

Okay, so...  

All companies cut/fire/release people, so all that talk, regardless of company goes here:

I'd really love it if the thread remains a meme-free thread, because Christ almighty...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1