DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

I guess the approach that led Alex Wright to invest his money and get the hell out of wrestling before he turned 27 might have also inspired his efforts before then.

Out of all the WCW guys who didn't have a stint in Mexico, i'd guess that Alex Wright probably wouldn't have done anything too amazing in Mexico but someone like Regal would have either had an amazing Mexico run ending in his head being shaved or he would have pissed on the wrong guy depending on his station in life while he's in Mexico.

I've probably typed it a few times on here but I really only started regularly watching wrestling in-between Badd Blood and Survivor Series 97 (but I remember seeing the formation of the Hart Foundation on a WGN edition of WWF Superstars a few months earlier), so I saw a lot more of 98 heel Jericho than 97 face Jericho and I'm guessing face Jericho was pretty awesome in the ring too but that it's sorta like Eddy where Guerrero/Jericho were a lot better as WCW heels than their initial runs as WCW babyfaces.

Also, someone probably has a history of people online either using the spelling "Eddy" for Guerrero or the promotions using "Eddy" vs "Eddie".

6 hours ago, Swift said:

Obviously we all know Jungle Boy's father is Luke Perry, but I recently discovered that his maternal grandfather (Alan Sharp) was a Scottish novelist and screenwriter (Ulzana's Raid, Night Moves, The Osterman Weekend, Rob Roy)

Are there any other wrestlers with interesting non-wrestling ancestors?

It always blew me away that WWE had Kris Kristofferson's son Jody in developmental for a while.  Supposedly Kris would even drop by the PC from time to time!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You'll dig La Parka vs. Sabu a lot when that occurs in MLW. I'm not sure how soon it'll air, but it was always showing up on their classic replays. 

Striker never bothered me in LU, maybe because he was just OTT enough for the product. Meanwhile he is completely intolerable in current Impact.

The Sabu/Park feud was wild to me at the time. I was still in high school and MLW became must watch for me when I saw Sabu use a pair of scissors as a weapon. Not sure how it'll hold up but damn was it fun at the time.

2 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

It always blew me away that WWE had Kris Kristofferson's son Jody in developmental for a while.  Supposedly Kris would even drop by the PC from time to time!

I wish he stuck around, so we could see what dog shit name they'd give him.

4 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Dylan Garrett. Named after Bob Dylan, and the character Bob Dylan played in Pat Garett and Billy the Kid.

It's really something seeing wrestlers return from career ending injuries: Bryan Danielson was already the GOAT when he retired but he's added to that title ever since coming back in March 2018, Edge in January 2020, Christian in January 2021, Sting in March 2021 and Katsuyori Shibata in October of last year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Kris Toverson

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Chris Tofferson? we already have a Chris... how about Tofferson?"

Obviously, not the point you were making, but DO they actually have a Chris at the moment? At least Jericho, Masters, Tian and that one guy are elsewhere right now. Am I missing someone else?

• Like 1

The former Kalisto in WWE took to Instagram Wednesday to detail his past battle with COVID-19, saying the virus "nearly ended him."

In the post seen below, he said he was hospitalized for the entire month of August and nearly had two heart attacks in addition to the virus and a stomach ulcer, adding that he "only had a day to prepare for my return on tv." That was a reference to a SmackDown match he had with Cesaro -- his first such action since December 2019.

"Beyond my belief I thought I never get this bad, but i took that as a sign, really trained hard and rolled the dice and Lucha. 2022 is all I focus on…LUCHA always like there’s no tomorrow, he wrote.

https://www.instagram.com/samuraydelsol/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=a89066bf-639d-4591-8765-2cb290e3e265

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

You say that but tell me that those two guys leading in a group of say Keith Lee, Kross, DIY, Scarlett and Mia Yim for a 12 month 'invasion' program wouldn't melt the internet?

I'd back AEW to do it right and put the invaders over enough to establish the threat before finally putting them away.

The  big six man tag ends with Cody dropping the leg brother, and it alllllll comes full circle 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

You say that but tell me that those two guys leading in a group of say Keith Lee, Kross, DIY, Scarlett and Mia Yim for a 12 month 'invasion' program wouldn't melt the internet?

I'd back AEW to do it right and put the invaders over enough to establish the threat before finally putting them away.

This has been my quiet fantasy booking since Cole jumped. HHH snaps his finger and every ex-NXTer reveals themselves as a sleeper hold agent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This has been my quiet fantasy booking since Cole jumped. HHH snaps his finger and every ex-NXTer reveals themselves as a sleeper hold agent.

• Like 4