DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

I am made the smart decision to go to bed way before the ball dropped so I am just getting around to some stuff now.

Couple of notes

- You don't always have to have the last word

- If something has dropped off the last page of replies or there has been a lengthy gap of time since the last reply - fairly decent chance that everyone has already moved on so bringing it back up (especially if you are tagging people) is counterproductive. (Side note - the "only x more days in the month" posts are also not helpful)

- Even if you aren't using ignore - get into the habit of having a list of folks you just won't engage with. 

- Every day is No Strike Day

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

WWE Day 1 today, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 next week, Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II on the first AEW Dynamite 2021 next week is the thing I'm most looking forward to, AEW Battle of the Belts and WWE Royal Rumble 2022. Get in. Happy New Year y'all xxx.

• Like 3

Things I’m looking forward to this year

WWE - Hopefully an upturn in booking especially for Raw, possibly HHH returning to the scene creatively, some new faces, Brock & Lashley causing carnage.

AEW - Wardlows eventual turn.  Great matches all around

Others - GCW continuing to kill it, NXT finding itself again even if it’s different, Impact continuing to be its own weird universe and MLW signing everyone else’s outcasts and running through TV deals like it’s nobody’s business.

• Like 2

this week i start 2 new promotions in my wrestling watch project: Lucha Underground (2014) and MLW Underground (2002).  MLW is brand new to me. i saw a handful of LU back when it was new, but have little memory of it. my wife (not a wrestling fan) is excited for LU as well.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

this week i start 2 new promotions in my wrestling watch project: Lucha Underground (2014) and MLW Underground (2002).  MLW is brand new to me. i saw a handful of LU back when it was new, but have little memory of it. my wife (not a wrestling fan) is excited for LU as well.

I just restarted LU myself, all the episodes are free on Tubi. For my money, the temple is still one of the coolest looking venues ever.

• Like 4

I will just mention it here since the thread will close soon for the start of the PPV

Roman Reigns tested positive for COVID today and is off the Day 1 PPV

• Sad 1

"Gee, the WWE is holding one of their big matches on *this* PPV, that seems like a bad decision"

*monkey paw curls*

Seriously, of all the active roster guys, there's reason to be concerned about how this would go for someone like Roman especially if it's not Omicron.

The CDC estimates of Omicron are going as well as you'd expect considering it's still a new variant and this is the CDC trying to estimate things. So unless they're going to do the deep testing, they won't really know what strain is the one that guys like Rollins and Reigns had.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Which wrestler started using “Brother” in his promos first? Flair is doing it in the Lawler angle in 82’ way before Hogan did it in 85’.

Superstar Graham maybe. 

I am finally getting back to the Portland set this year. 

I also need to restart my Nitro rewatch.

No modern wrestling on the menu for me anymore now that Corgan's NWA is gutted, but I am pleased that so much old wrestling is so accessible. The other day and for no good reason, I watched a bunch of Bad News Brown squashes. I saw one video that was just a supercut of Bad News hitting the Ghetto Blaster. It was great and so is wrestling when it's done well.

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Steve-o getting annihilated by Umaga is a Jackass / WWE crossover that will never be surpassed.  I miss Umaga. 

I remember watching it live. Umaga kicked the shot outta those guys. Steve O really pissed him off. Here’s the clip if no one’s ever seen 

And if found a video of Steve O and Pontius talking about the incident

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

now that Corgan's NWA is gutted

last i heard, Corgan's NWA is again going to have a weekly show on YouTube. @DreamBrokenwas still posting recaps of their show a couple weeks ago, so he probably has more info.

i was hooked with the first run of POWERRRRR but never tuned back in after the pandemic when it moved to Fite (or whatever service it's on). mainly because they lost so much of their talent (Thunder Rosa, Ricky Starks, Eli Drake, etc.) maybe i'll check out this new show. i really hope they succeed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

last i heard, Corgan's NWA is again going to have a weekly show on YouTube. @DreamBrokenwas still posting recaps of their show a couple weeks ago, so he probably has more info.

i was hooked with the first run of POWERRRRR but never tuned back in after the pandemic when it moved to Fite (or whatever service it's on). mainly because they lost so much of their talent (Thunder Rosa, Ricky Starks, Eli Drake, etc.) maybe i'll check out this new show. i really hope they succeed.

While I am not excited about watching a show that is built around Aldis, Murdock, and Tyus as important pieces, I will give it a shot.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, The Natural said:

WWE Day 1 today, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 next week, Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II on the first AEW Dynamite 2021 next week is the thing I'm most looking forward to, AEW Battle of the Belts and WWE Royal Rumble 2022. Get in. Happy New Year y'all xxx.

Me and friends who went to the first Newark show were a little let down that the following week was the Arthur Ashe stadium supercard. We had fun at the show but felt little... short changed. Really glad we're getting something really cool this time and yes we're all stoked for Hangman/Danielson II. I finally broke and ordered the anxious millenial cowboy shirt too but don't think it's gonna get here in time.

It's weird with New Japan, I'm really not feeling wrestlekingdom this year but really hoping the Noah crossover show delivers.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, twiztor said:

Honestly the early MLW stuff isn't bad. I believe it was my first exposure to Teddy Hart and Jack Evans. 

• Like 2

I’ve been thinking about it and I have a question for everybody. Why wasn’t Bam Bam Bigelow are bigger star?

What I mean by that is why was he never a Top Guy for any period of time? Why was he never a World Champion? Why is his name never brought up when talking about the best to ever do it? ECW and New Japan seemed like the only places they understood that he worked best as an asskicking heel. 

The guy had a distinct look he could move like a man half his size, him and Lawerence Taylor main evented Wrestlemania, he had main stream appeal he was in Major Payne, the flash in the pan run with Goldberg was exciting shit it’s still exciting to watch his first month in WCW 23 years later. It’s a shame 

• Like 4