DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

For those of us in Japan, a schedule for the remainder of this week (hope I have  the times right):

Tuesday Jan 4th: 9am AEW Dark Elevation (Jake Atlas debut). 5 pm Wrestle Kingdom Night One (Shibata. Hiromu vs Despy. Shigo vs Okada...)
Wednesday January 5th: 9 am (I think) AEW Dark:Just Dark. 5 pm Wrestle Kingdom Night Two (Naito vs Cobb, Tana vs KENTA...)
Thursday January 6th: 10 am AEW Dynamite (BRYAN VS PAGE II !!!) (and Jade vs Ruby in The Battle of the Gemstones...)  
Friday: Come on, Pro Wrestling! What the hell are we supposed to do with ourselves on Friday?
Saturday January 8th: 12 noon: AEW Rampage (Kingston, Santana, & Ortiz vs 2point0 & Garcia, No Holds Barred) 5 pm: Wrestle Kingdom Night Three (NJPW vs NOAH) (with, somehow, zero true dream matches, but on the other hand my boy Kotoge gets a singles match!)
Sunday January 9th: 10 am AEW Battle of the Belts (Riho vs DMD)

Out of all of that, I think I'm most excited for Dragon vs Cowboy Shit part two. But there's something to mark out hard for every day. Except Friday.

(Those of us outside of Japan can enjoy the same feast of pro wrestling, though dates and times may differ in certain cases).

2022 feels like a pretty great year to be a wrestling fan, so far!

Great start to the year. I'm also most excited for Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II. C'mon Bryan Danielson!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

For those of us in Japan, a schedule for the remainder of this week (hope I have  the times right):

Tuesday Jan 4th: 9am AEW Dark Elevation (Jake Atlas debut). 5 pm Wrestle Kingdom Night One (Shibata. Hiromu vs Despy. Shigo vs Okada...)
Wednesday January 5th: 9 am (I think) AEW Dark:Just Dark. 5 pm Wrestle Kingdom Night Two (Naito vs Cobb, Tana vs KENTA...)
Thursday January 6th: 10 am AEW Dynamite (BRYAN VS PAGE II !!!) (and Jade vs Ruby in The Battle of the Gemstones...)  
Friday: Come on, Pro Wrestling! What the hell are we supposed to do with ourselves on Friday?
Saturday January 8th: 12 noon: AEW Rampage (Kingston, Santana, & Ortiz vs 2point0 & Garcia, No Holds Barred) 5 pm: Wrestle Kingdom Night Three (NJPW vs NOAH) (with, somehow, zero true dream matches, but on the other hand my boy Kotoge gets a singles match!)
Sunday January 9th: 10 am AEW Battle of the Belts (Riho vs DMD)

Out of all of that, I think I'm most excited for Dragon vs Cowboy Shit part two. But there's something to mark out hard for every day. Except Friday.

(Those of us outside of Japan can enjoy the same feast of pro wrestling, though dates and times may differ in certain cases).

2022 feels like a pretty great year to be a wrestling fan, so far!

We will all sit and virtually hold your hands on Friday as we ponder what to do... oh wait!  We got IMPACT!  TAKE THAT,  GORDLOW~! U-S-A! U-S-A!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I forget what he said exactly but I think it was basically that Bigelow kept getting in his own way. 

A few weeks ago on Cornette’s podcast, he mentioned some guys in the mid-90s WWF who weren’t allowed into Canada and that Bigelow was one of them.

If Bigelow not working a lot of matches in Canada, especially during his 90s stint, is any indicator, then it’s possible that being kept out of Canada limits a little bit of the potential for a guy in a company that regularly runs shows in Canada.

22 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Andre tough on Bigelow because he was super territorial with other big men? Didn't he treat Big John Studd similarly?

Yeah, he was insecure in that way, and HATED Studd, who by all accounts was a very nice man. I think that topic is discussed in Bobby Heenan's book and he knew Andre as well as anyone (maybe better). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I just watched an Ember Moon bout against Asuka from the Brooklyn 2017 takeover.  Fantastic!  In 2022, is she still at that level?  If yes, she looks like a really strong pick-up for the Elite.  

Not really, she’s injury prone these days. She probably hasn’t had a full year of wrestling since prior to WWE.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I just watched an Ember Moon bout against Asuka from the Brooklyn 2017 takeover.  Fantastic!  In 2022, is she still at that level?  If yes, she looks like a really strong pick-up for the Elite.  

She hasn't had a match intended to be at that level in a long time so no one really knows. She was generally good her last year in NXT so would be a great pickup for anyone. Her issues will come more from finding a character. It was also one of her biggest issues in WWE.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not really, she’s injury prone these days. She probably hasn’t had a full year of wrestling since prior to WWE.

She had one big injury during her time in WWE. Otherwise she has been wrestling.

47 minutes ago, Dog said:

I thought Ember Moon was good in NXT, but her main roster run and her return made me think otherwise.

I mean she wasn't exactly given much to do on her main roster run. Not sure how you could watch her last NXT run and think she was bad.

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

She’d be a Nese type that needs to prove themselves in the ring first before giving a bigger shot to her.

Huh? Neese's issue has never been his in ring ability. The due is just super bland.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Huh? Neese's issue has never been his in ring ability. The due is just super bland.

He still is… I didn’t watch recent 205 Live. So going off his original run I thought his character work was bland, and his in-ring wasn’t any better. I mean he’s still bland, but he’s way better than those early 205 Live days. Ember Moon is also a super bland person, but she’s extremely unique as an in-ring performer, and mechanically the best woman’s wrestler at one point. I want to see if she can still go to that level first.

Her gimmick did suck, but in the ring, she's easy to root for. She's a natural face. Lots of in-ring charisma.

Nese is mechanically quite good. That's it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That's not fair to say. She had one major injury. It's a torn achilies. Like literally the worst kind of injury an athlete can have. So she was out from it for a long time. But I don't think she had any other injuries or missed any time from anything else. Her first run in NXT was over a full year wasn't it.

Now her re-debut in NXT with the biker video then doing the half skull werewolf thing wasn't developed very well. That's a fair criticism. But her work with Shotzi as a team produced some good matches.

So I think you're off the mark  with the Nese comparison. I mean she has a finisher that's over AF. So she's already ahead of him based of that alone.

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's not fair to say. She had one major injury. It's a torn achilies. Like literally the worst kind of injury an athlete can have. So she was out from it for a long time. But I don't think she had any other injuries or missed any time from anything else. Her first run in NXT was over a full year wasn't it.

It feels like she had quite a few, or at least I remember people saying “again?” a lot.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Nese’s first two rows of abs had more character development than Moon’s awful werewolf gimmick.

Well you know WWE doesn't know what to do with people with that type of personsa. In NXT she was able to get by off her work alone. When she got to the main roster she was thrown into a bunch of 6 women tags and other multi women matches.  I thought she was just as good or better than some on the 4 horsewomen at the time for like the first few month but if your not in an actual program it's hard for you to get over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

So what does WWE do with Smackdown the next few weeks? No Roman, no Brock, no Drew, no Sasha, no Jeff Hardy. Will be interesting to see who Vince chooses to lean on.

Like @Matt D said Sami Ska Opera followed by a Boogz/Nak performance.

But most likely some more New Day/Usos stuff and more Nattie/Sonya/Shayna/Naomi/XIa nonsense. 

And more Charlotte. Maybe Shotzi gets to come out of catering.

And maybe they'll have something for Mustafa Ali.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:27 PM, Web Conn said:

I’ve been thinking about it and I have a question for everybody. Why wasn’t Bam Bam Bigelow are bigger star?

What I mean by that is why was he never a Top Guy for any period of time? Why was he never a World Champion? Why is his name never brought up when talking about the best to ever do it? ECW and New Japan seemed like the only places they understood that he worked best as an asskicking heel. 

The guy had a distinct look he could move like a man half his size, him and Lawerence Taylor main evented Wrestlemania, he had main stream appeal he was in Major Payne, the flash in the pan run with Goldberg was exciting shit it’s still exciting to watch his first month in WCW 23 years later. It’s a shame 

A] Bam Bam Bigelow was really good at getting other people over, so promoters kept wanting to have him do that.

B] Bam Bam Bigelow was really good at getting himself over, so promoters always assumed he could keep doing that, and always recover from A.

Hence my recent habit of referring to wrestlers of which this is also true as having "the Bam Bam Bigelow curse."

• Like 4