DVDVR Message Board

Your 2022 Internet Match Thread

Noah Mark

Awesome!  BOOKER T WRESTLES AGAIN!  I love this.  Booker T and Sharmelle are battling for control of ROW, with Booker's ego driving it into the ground as Sharmelle holds it together.  Team Sharmelle has Gino Medina and Will Allday, who holds this ten man together.  Team Booker has Bryan Keith and Mysterious Q.  Booker T looks fucking great for 57.

=======================

Bryan Keith fucking lays it in against a totally game Effy.  Effy is so the new Hollywood John Tatum.

• Like 2

Soberano Jr. vs. Templario in CMLL's La Leyenda De Plata final.  

(Should already be timestamped, but if not, the match starts around 1:00:53.)

I was really looking forward to this match, and holy smokes, it certainly did not disappoint.  The roles of tecnico and rudo have seemingly flip-flopped for these two since their respective debuts, and this match is almost like the culmination of both slow turns, and adds an extra dimension to it.  Templario is not just an amazing base, but he can also whip out truly nasty offense at any moment.  Soberano Jr. is unique and hard to explain, which is of course why I think he's so great. Lanky and goofy at first glance, but insanely creative and skilled, and the slowly developing cockiness and deviousness has really put him over the top.  Templario has really connected with the fans to an extent I never expected, and I love it.  Amazing chemistry, wonderful stuff.  

• Like 3

Komander is all over the place lately.  This is lucha five levels grimier than Big Lucha.  This match is completely insane.  You have Komander getting his ass kicked all over the building, our rudos trying to Outwalk The Toprope against Komander, you have a male stripper off, everything you love about the sleaziest aspects of lucha libre.  BILLION STARS.

=======================

Charlette and Robin are the Renegade Twins.  Peyton and Lizzie are the Good Sister twins.  The Renegade twins are a really good heel tagteam.  I'm wondering if they become to Thunder Rosa what the Boys are to Dalton Castle when Thunder Rosa turns evil.

==========================

You know Vincent is good, but Dutch and Bateman steal the show here.

• Like 1

Oh yeah.  Chris Ridgeway is motherfucking awesome.  HAYATA is really good.  This match is really good.  From Wrestle Carnival, the UK up-and-comers.

===================

It's that AC Mack fella I read about.  Here he is against the psycho, SLADE.  

=====================

Alex Kane goes to Germany and goes complete Steiner.  I don't think he has hit this many suplexes in all of his MLW matches and this match is four and half minutes long.  Nick Schreier is a good.

• Like 1

Wrestle Force is like 1995 Michinoku Pro- any match you watch is at least good and most are really good.  This one is really good.  James Toner is the Super Delfin of Wrestle Force.  Curt Atlas is the Convict!

Hey!  Rylee Rocket is getting pretty good.  She lays it in against the redneck juggernaut that is Kenzie Page.

• Like 1

If your going to go see El Hijo del Alebrije vs El Hijo del Pirata Morgan, BE ON YOUR TOES!  They are coming straight for you.  Alebrije is spectacular.

===================

Jordan Blade looks about as good as I have seen her look, here, versus the Nise Jordynne Grace, Christina Marie.

=====================

King and Kong are MONKEYS!  And they wrestle like monkeys!  They are awesome.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:04 AM, Evil Otto said:

Soberano Jr. vs. Templario in CMLL's La Leyenda De Plata final.  

(Should already be timestamped, but if not, the match starts around 1:00:53.)

I was really looking forward to this match, and holy smokes, it certainly did not disappoint.  The roles of tecnico and rudo have seemingly flip-flopped for these two since their respective debuts, and this match is almost like the culmination of both slow turns, and adds an extra dimension to it.  Templario is not just an amazing base, but he can also whip out truly nasty offense at any moment.  Soberano Jr. is unique and hard to explain, which is of course why I think he's so great. Lanky and goofy at first glance, but insanely creative and skilled, and the slowly developing cockiness and deviousness has really put him over the top.  Templario has really connected with the fans to an extent I never expected, and I love it.  Amazing chemistry, wonderful stuff.  

To double down on this point, this entire show is one of ten best episodes of wrestling TV I've watched all year and the main event should be seriously considered if you're wondering about the current state of CMLL. Obviously their political situation is about as messy as could be + COVID wasn't kind to them but Soberano/Templario is a statement match that should really vibe with international tastes. Soberano Jr. is a really idiosyncratic kinda dude, he uses his size and reach in a uniquely bullysome way. He's not a super-prick, not even entirely cocky but he's effortlessly rudo. Great facials that just jump right out the mask. Templario's a bit more than apost-Mysterio babyface with muscles, he's got some real grit to him. He's tough beyond his height and his execution consistently impresses me - he's physical enough to be a real good rudo, too. But this was Soberano's match and the gobs of pesos thrown in the ring belong to him first.

The co-main event is a wonderful Mascara contra Mascara between two veteran "big minis" in Ultimo Dragoncito and Pequeno Olympico that is highly recommended. A high-stakes, big-match showcase for two painfully unheralded performers.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

To double down on this point, this entire show is probably one of the five best episodes of wrestling TV I've watched all year and the main event should be seriously considered if you're wondering about the current state of CMLL. Obviously their political situation is about as messy as could be + COVID wasn't kind to them but Soberano/Templario is a statement match that should really vibe with international tastes. Soberano Jr. is a really idiosyncratic kinda dude, he uses his size and reach in a uniquely bullysome way. He's not a super-prick, not even entirely cocky but he's effortlessly rudo. Great facials that just jump right out the mask. Templario's a bit more than apost-Mysterio babyface with muscles, he's got some real grit to him. He's tough beyond his height and his execution consistently impresses me - he's physical enough to be a real good rudo, too. But this was Soberano's match and the gobs of pesos thrown in the ring belong to him first.

The co-main event is a wonderful Mascara contra Mascara between two veteran "big minis" in Ultimo Dragoncito and Pequeno Olympico that is highly recommended. A high-stakes, big-match showcase for two painfully unheralded performers.

Tagging @Evil Ottotoo for posting it. Thanks to you both as I wouldn't have probably given this the time otherwise.

I caught this on the bus this morning after a rewatch of Danielson vs Garcia 2/3 and it really was the damndest thing. After half a minute of going head to head (literally) for your feeling out process, they just start on the bombs and they never look back. There are Sombra vs Volador matches like that which I hate with the fury of an undying sun but this I was kind of into, or at least, I'm not entirely sure what to make of. I think it actually worked and might be one of the best 50/50 matches I've ever seen (which is both not saying much and saying a ton). Note that I haven't seen much of any CMLL in years so I come in with no backstory or recent knowledge/acclimation. That, in part, is why I'm not rushing to write it up on Segunda Caida. I found it compelling and fascinating in and of itself but if I had to watch a dozen matches like this, I'd probably get pretty pissy about it all. Ok, here's why it worked:

• Everything was sold like death. We all know about third fall laying around selling, but this was one fall and it was consistent throughout. Everything was a bomb. Everything was a big move. But nothing was no sold, nothing was popped up from. Somehow everything from the first spot to the last seemed weighty. It was so deliberately and definitively paced. 
  • No wrestler ever had real advantage. You never knew how a move was going to turn out, if it was going to get reversed or not. I paid very close attention to this and throughout the match no wrestler hit three moves in a row. It was generally counter > move of their own > counter throughout the entire match, with big selling after the counter AND after the move. There weren't conventional momentum shifts so much as a constant ebb and flow as neither wrestler could get an advantage. The finish was because he decided to chain two moves together instead of immediately going for a pin or something more high risk. 
  • The escalation was done through near falls. That's the question right? If you start at 9, how do you go anywhere? And they worked in more and more (and more and more believable) nearfalls as the match went on. Early on it was just about hitting a move to set up your opponent for the next one, even if it never worked. Later on, it was about the win. That this was the final and had big stakes and was just a one fall match helped all of this. 

I could nitpick individual things, but it was a very measured, very disciplined match on a big picture level, even if it was chaotic and imaginative in ways that I both appreciated and kind of groaned at when it came to certain specific details. 

• Like 1

NEW GLEAT!  Demonic Flamita is a member of BULK ORCHESTRA~! as if it needed anything else to make it even more awesome.

=======================

Minoru Tanaka takes on Hitamaru Sasaki in a UWF match.  Go use of the point system here.  I sometimes forget that Tanaka is a Fujiwara dude.

• Like 1

It's the 19 year old ball of nastiness called Suzu Suzuki versus AEW's Hikaru Shida!  It's clipped a bit- so it's like it would be like on Elevation.

===================

Ava White is a lady heel on the UK indie scene.  Amira is a disturbed young lady who is fixated on her idol, Alex Windsor.  Here, she wears Windsor's coat and calls herself Amira Windsor now.  She's crazy!  It's great!

• Like 1

Saya Kamitani takes on Starlight Kid for the BELT!  Saya Kamitani is the best in the world.

========================

Hyan and Raychell Rose wrestle for the Reality of Wrestling Women's title.  Hyan is prolly the best unsigned indie wrestler.

=========================

YES!  GLEAT STREAMED TODAY!  Matches for the tag title and Douki vs El Lindaman for the G-REX title.

• Like 3

This match is fucking GREAT!  House of Black invades Superkick'd Wrestling and they get together their three best guys to take them on.  Malakai Black is fucking ELECTRIC taking it through the crowd to beat folks' asses.  Brodie King isn't as COMPLETELY psychotic as he is on TV, but he is fucking great.  Buddy Matthews needs temporary tattoos.  Matthews with kick the fuck out of a motherfucker.  GREAT!

El Lindaman had prolly my favorite match of 2022 yesterday, defending the G-REX title against the underrated Douki. Lindaman is the best sympathetic babyface on the planet earth currently, as we all forget sometimes.  Here, he carries a guy from Singapore to a fun little match.  FOR THE G-REX!

============================

Wrestlers 3 and 4 in BLACK GENERATION takes on Komander and Gravity!  The third and fourth best rudos in BLACK GENERATION, Emperador Azteca and Yutani, are STILL really good rudos.  Komander doesn't kill himself but Gravity is good to hold up the technico end of the match against two really good rudos.  GOOD!

Gravity is a good technico and El Bandido is BANDIDO.  Big Lucha is sooo awesome.

========================

Wrestling apes is so the trend we need in these troubling times.  I also love that when Big Lucha does their studio show and the apes are in the audience, they both wear glasses.  A TREASURE!

=====================

Liiza Hall (spelled funny) takes on Zoe Sager (spelled normal) and these two Canadian gals have a good little match.

• Like 1

Colby Corino and KRULE have a really wild death match!  Corino bumps like a total psycho.  Corino is awesome.

========================

Formeo and Radioactivo have a good little match.  The best is that King or Kong are apes with glasses AND a cowboy hats.

• Like 1