DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

Not enough extra awards categories. Kayfabe and history wise this year both NJPW and AJP 50th years mattered more. 

Kobashi helped with picking. In the future women could win few of the mens awards.

Next year is the 50th year awards.

There are other award systems that are less kayfabey and SHUPRO is next.

• Like 1

DDT Judgement 2023 will be in Korakuen.

below was few days ago, from Purolove 

DDT "STERNNESS 30TH ANNIVERSARY VOL. 2 IN OSAKA ~ JUN AKIYAMA DEBUT 30TH ANNIVERSARY ROUND 2", 10.12.2022
Izumi City Plaza Yayoi no Kaze Hall
320 Fans

1. Hideki Okatani & Yuya Koroku besiegen Takeshi Masada & Kazuma Sumi (9:14) nach einem Chickenwing Facelock von Koroku gege Sumi.
2. Danshoku "Dandy" Dino & Yuki "Sexy" Iino besieben Akito & Kazuki Hirata (9:25) nach einem Mini Ryu -> Haku Ryu -> Kai Ryu von Iino gegen Akito.
3. Yuji Hino, Makoto Oishi & Soma Takao besiegen Toru Owashi, Chris Brookes & Toi Kojima (10:45) nach der Fuckin' BOMB von Hino gegen Kojima.
4. HARASHIMA & Yukio Naya besiegen Kazusada Higuchi & Yuki Ishida (12:35) nach einem Chokeslam von Naya gegen Ishida.
5. Special Singles Match: Tigers Mask besiegt Yusuke Okada (13:29) mit einem Delfin Special #3.
6. The37KAMIINA vs. DAMNATION T.A!: Daisuke Sasaki, MJ Paul & KANON besiegen Yuki Ueno, MAO & Shunma Katsumata (10:18) nach einem Cross Facelock von Sasaki gegen Katsumata.
7. Jun Akiyama Debut 30th Anniversary Match in Osaka ~ Special Six Man Tag Match: Zeus , The Bodyguard & Ryouji Sai besiegen Tetsuya Endo, Jun Akiyama & Sanshiro Takagi (19:01) nach einem Jackhammer von Zeus gegen Takagi.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, matwarz said:

Very sad to see the state BJW is in right now. Their refusal to trust foreigners or look at the big picture has resulted in a stale company, overtaken by Freedoms and barely scraping 300 fans at korakuen. Can’t see how much longer they can cling on

Yeah watching their shows is pretty sad these days, even back in the pandemic when they were crowd funding I felt pretty apathetic, like if they die they die, always felt like they didn’t want to appeal much to a crowd outside of Japan. BJW Core seems like a very low effort attempt at a streaming service that just offers lifeless house shows shot with a single hard cam. Also I swear every Korakuen show I’ve seen in the last few years the deathmatches rarely go longer than like 12 minutes. They do so few epics compared to the 2005-2010 era and no action ever really happens, no creative weapon gimmicks, there’s just no fire anymore.

As a foreign fan it’s much easier and rewarding to support just about any other company in Japan. And pretty much every wrestler who’s been a favorite of mine left over feeling disrespected like Honma, Kasai, and Yoshihito. They dug their own grave by pushing Ito and Kobayashi over everyone for so long. Pretty much every new trainee they have go into deathmatches leaves within a year or two to go freelancer like Tsukamoto, Uto, Ueki, Drew, Sakuda, and maybe more I’m forgetting. They all seem happier in Freedoms. Drew being built up for a long time only to have him vacate the title was real shady, figured maybe it was Visa issues but he went to Freedoms immediately after.

20 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

Are any promotions in Japan allowing cheering again yet?

I think it depends on the company and the venue. For example, DDT's most recent show at Shinjuku FACE allowed cheering and chanting.

1 hour ago, A.M.B. said:

Yeah watching their shows is pretty sad these days, even back in the pandemic when they were crowd funding I felt pretty apathetic, like if they die they die, always felt like they didn’t want to appeal much to a crowd outside of Japan. BJW Core seems like a very low effort attempt at a streaming service that just offers lifeless house shows shot with a single hard cam. Also I swear every Korakuen show I’ve seen in the last few years the deathmatches rarely go longer than like 12 minutes. They do so few epics compared to the 2005-2010 era and no action ever really happens, no creative weapon gimmicks, there’s just no fire anymore.

As a foreign fan it’s much easier and rewarding to support just about any other company in Japan. And pretty much every wrestler who’s been a favorite of mine left over feeling disrespected like Honma, Kasai, and Yoshihito. They dug their own grave by pushing Ito and Kobayashi over everyone for so long. Pretty much every new trainee they have go into deathmatches leaves within a year or two to go freelancer like Tsukamoto, Uto, Ueki, Drew, Sakuda, and maybe more I’m forgetting. They all seem happier in Freedoms. Drew being built up for a long time only to have him vacate the title was real shady, figured maybe it was Visa issues but he went to Freedoms immediately after.

Par for the course with BJW I’m afraid. I respect they have ran their business as such to stay in business buts it’s truly caught up with them now. There was a period when Masada was hot and clearly should have been positioned as the champion to chase and they refused to pull the trigger. They need a big crowd and blow away show on jan 2 but i don’t foresee either. It’s sad, the hour ‘death match wars’ tv show used to me my most anticipated arrival.

Edited by matwarz

Yeah not striking when the iron was hot was always one of their biggest problems. For me the real killer of my interest was Yoshihito retiring though. Dude made every undercard match he was on worth watching and motivated all the wrestlers around him. That Strong title run and his match with Sekimoto is some of the most intense wrestling I’ve ever seen and was just as violent as the deathmatches. Hard to put into words but the undercards went from scrappy to sloggy within a few years and their few new projects for the top of the card like Takahashi didn’t seem to catch on with the fans or me.

M.Suzuki belongs to the Pancrase MISSION freelance group, I wonder if he moves back to AJP?

The final Suzuki Gun match below from Purolove

NJPW, 23.12.2022 (NJPW World)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

8. Suzuki Army Final: Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer , El Desperado & TAKA Michinoku  vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Taichi, Yoshinonu Kanemaru & DOUKI

Shingo Takagi vs Taichi from TAKATaichiMania was a hell of a match, highly recommend and definitely in my top 10 but not sure where

Actually the whole show was great, a strong contender for show of the year. I don't usually watch a whole lot of Joshi but my god Tomoka Inaba is incredible, my second favourite match of the night (arguably the better match if not for my emotional investment in the main).

Hiromu and TAKA was super fun, perfect match with TAKA's limitations. Suzuki going balls out insane in the Suzuki/DOUKI vs Kasai/Honma was a blast too. Couldn't help but be happy that Despy finally got a match with Sasaki too. 

I'm gonna miss these shows, all of them have been so much fun this year. Well worth the $20 (or subbing to NJPWWorld in 2 months time when they will probably upload it)

For NJPW crowds next year in Japan

https://wrestletalk.com/news/new-crowd-noise-rules-njpw/

https://www.njpw1972.com/139867

Seems it's for NJPW only, because they're biggest promotion in Japan. Cyberfight people were at the meeting too,  but i'm not sure if they got what they wanted.

Edited by Red King

Time for another AJPW mat canvas change next year. The 50th year is nearly over. The 51st year is a new beginning. 

Both NJPW and AJP survived past the Heisei era and the 70th anniversary of the Japanese Pro Wres business and soon both of their respective 50th anniversaries. I remember when some said on Puroresufans that both promotions wouldn't survive many years ago and there would only be one new fed. Didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Power Lariat said:

Is there anyway to watch the whole Taka 30th anniversary show back from September? Will the TAKATaichiMania stay on NJPW World the whole time? I want to try and check these shows out when I get some free time.

I can't see an expiration on any of the older ones (including the January 10th show), so I'd assume they'll stay up unless TAKA/JTO wants them pulled. 

September one is available on NJPW World, it is now available as part of the membership price (not PPV any longer - only the latest one is still PPV). 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, Control said:

The big matches for AJPW’s early January shows:

The 1/3 show could be good. The singles matches could be very good, and the heavyweight tag could be great, depending on X.

X is Naruki Doi. Was thinking it’d be TAKA. Could be interesting!

AJP

1,296 Fans 

Seem like Yoshutatsu is being de emphasized.  Former Suzuki Gun member Taichi had scathing words for AJPW. NOAH Wrestler Soya won. That's it for Jake Lee in AJPW, he will join another group in Jan. And that's it for AJPW's 50th year. 

I wonder how many wrestlers AJPW hires next year?  Or they decide to use other companies natives instead?