DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

I don't use western wiki for the 'resu or Japan Pro Wres for info, the western articles mostly leave out important details. The NOAH section has made up style classification, there is no such thing Royal Road with Ark or Ark Style, but only Misawa-ism, NOAHism, and nowadays some Inoki-ism in NOAH. NOAH mostly avoided the Royal Road term.

Blogs from older Japanese fans and the not too Kayfabey news and info sites from Japan are the best for info, and books too.

Edited by Blue Dragon

The four main brands of CyberFight in order, NOAH, DDT, TJPW, GanPro. Smaller sub brands exists too. While Basara was sold off in 2020 and isn't part of the CyberFight brands and became an independent promotion.

19 hours ago, ka-to said:

I never connected this to the tuxedo clad Kawada singing in Hustle, Hustle.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:22 AM, The Natural said:

Kawada is simultaneously the Diana Ross and the Mary Wilson by virtue of being a) the lead singer b) the one who stayed after the exodus.

On their current Korakuen show All Japan announced the opening round of this year's Royal Road Tournament, starting next month!

Kento vs Suwama
Yuma Aoyagi vs Naoya Nomura!!!
Atsuki Aoyagi vs Takuya Nomura
Cyrus vs Shuji Ishikawa
Jake Lee vs Ren Ayabe
Dan Tamura vs Shotaro Ashino 
Ryuki Honda vs Takao Omori
Yoshitatsu vs Yuji Nagata

Really hyped for the 2 Aoyagi vs Nomura matches although surprised that Hokuto Omori didn't make the field. 

• Like 1

Glad they keep using Ayabe. Maybe they can scoop him up.

Cyrus is Cyrus the Destroyer? Never heard of him, but his stats claim like 6’8” and 350 lbs. Him vs Shuji should be meaty.

I’ve actually got no idea who is going to win this one. Winner challenges for the TC at the big show, right? Maybe they’ll pull a NOAH and have Nagata challenge.

52 minutes ago, Control said:

Glad they keep using Ayabe. Maybe they can scoop him up.

Cyrus is Cyrus the Destroyer? Never heard of him, but his stats claim like 6’8” and 350 lbs. Him vs Shuji should be meaty.

I’ve actually got no idea who is going to win this one. Winner challenges for the TC at the big show, right? Maybe they’ll pull a NOAH and have Nagata challenge.

Yeah, Cyrus the Destroyer, a Georgia indy guy which is the extent of what I know. He squashed Black Menso-re today in his All Japan debut.

I have feelings about the main event of today's show but I'll hold off posting them as I realise most people on here are in the US timezones so are unlikely to be able to see it live.

I wonder if we get Nagata vs Suwama at the Budokan for AJPW?

Nagata would break Tenryu's record as the oldest Triple Crown winner if he wins the title, also kinda the reverse of Tenryu the former AJPW guy being the oldest IWGP HW Champ.

Suwama mentioned something about Tiger Mask, probably sending a goon to get that Jr belt.

Still TigerMask 4 vs Tigersmask soon.

The All Asia champs want to face GLEAT guys I think.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem Kota wants to go back to NJPW after his injuries are healed up. So some other promotion in Japan. I know he wanted to win the Triple Crown before. But maybe NOAH because of the pay is better.

• Like 1

While Zero 1 rarely does come on Samurai TV these days, it seems ZERO1  appears more on NicoNico and other web streams. They further shrunk down their roster and reset their ltd these past years. 

I wouldn't be surprised that some day in the future Z1 will cease to exist which will have some ripple effects. Like IGF and W-1  and Kensuke Office and more closing down and roster and staff moving to other promotions.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 6:13 AM, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Yeah, Cyrus the Destroyer, a Georgia indy guy which is the extent of what I know. He squashed Black Menso-re today in his All Japan debut.

He also worked for Wrestle-1 pre-pandemic

• Thanks 1

The unit reorganization continues on. If VDM Kento happens, I hope Kento copies his fav wrestler heel phase and becomes Hollywood Kento. Kento used to be in the 2013 version of VDM in some other promotion

Total Eclipse is a 4 man band now. But Jake is teamed up with AJPW army roster member Yuma. 

Probably be not so many units in the end unlike these past few years after the unit reorganization. 

Upcoming AJPW shows:

AJPW "SUMMER ACTION SERIES 2022", 24.07.2022 
Chiba 2AW Square 

- Izanagi & Black Menso~re vs. TAJIRI & Cyrus 
- Shotaro Ashino & Seigo Tachibana vs. Takao Omori & Ryo Inoue 
- Suwama vs. Hikaru Sato 
- If you don't make it to the final, it won't happen, Oudou Tournament Special Singles Match: Dan Tamura vs. Ren Ayabe  
- If you don't make it to the final, it won't happen, Oudou Tournament Special Singles Match: Shuji Ishikawa vs. Ryuki Honda 
- If you don't make it to the final, it won't happen, Oudou Tournament Special Singles Match: Yuma Aoyagi vs. Yoshitatsu 
- If you don't make it to the final, it won't happen, Oudou Tournament Special Singles Match: Kento Miyahara vs. Atsuki Aoyagi 
- Jake Lee & Hokuto Omori vs. Naoya Nomura & Mizuki Watase  

AJPW "SUMMER ACTION SERIES 2022", 29.07.2022 
Shin-Kiba 1st RING 

- Hokuto Omori vs. Black Menso~re 
- Yoshitatsu & Izanagi vs. Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura 
- Shuji Ishikawa & Ren Ayabe  vs. TAJIRI & Cyrus 
- Suwama & KONO vs. Shotaro Ashino & Ryuki Honda 
- Kento Miyahara, Rising HAYATO & Takuya Nomura  vs. Jake Lee, Yuma Aoyagi & Atsuki Aoyagi 
- All Asia Tag Team Title: Minoru & Toshizu (c) vs. Takao Omori & Ryo Inoue 

AJPW "9TH OUDOU TOURNAMENT", 07.08.2022 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

- AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish - Jr. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Tiger Mask , TAJIRI, Rising HAYATO & Yusuke Kodama vs. Hokuto Omori, Izanagi, Black Menso~re & Ryo Inoue 
- Oudou Tournament Special Six Man Tag Match: Shotaro Ashino, Ryuki Honda & Cyrus vs. Shuji Ishikawa, Yoshitatsu & Takao Omori 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Kento Miyahara vs. TARU 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Jake Lee vs. Ren Ayabe  
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Atsuki Aoyagi vs. Takuya Nomura  
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Yuma Aoyagi vs. Naoya Nomura 
- Suwama, KONO & Toshizu vs. Yuji Nagata , Dan Tamura & Hikaru Sato 

AJPW "9TH OUDOU TOURNAMENT", 11.08.2022 
Nagoya International Conference Hall 

- Hikaru Sato vs. Ryo Inoue 
- Suwama & KONO vs. Izanagi & Black Menso~re 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Shuji Ishikawa vs. Cyrus 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Shotaro Ashino vs. Dan Tamura 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Takao Omori vs. Ryuki Honda 
- Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Yoshitatsu vs. Yuji Nagata  
- Kento Miyahara, Rising HAYATO & Oji Shiiba vs. Jake Lee, Yuma Aoyagi & Atsuki Aoyagi 
- AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Tiger Mask  (c) vs. Hokuto Omori 

Then, the next rounds of the Oudou tournament.

At least the unit reshuffling (though perhaps rushed) has put a bit of a fresh layer of paint on things.

I don’t see Yuma getting a second singles victory this year over Nomura (though I could be wrong). I’m assuming the winner will either be Jake Lee or Nagata, though with AJPW you should never count Kento out.

Ashino should get a big singles victory over Suwama, and this storyline should be the way to do it, but I don’t see them putting Ashino in the position to headline a big show.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 2:07 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Okada and  G1

He did Misawa's Emerald Froison move and Inoki's old finsiher.

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/853956

The reduced amount of games or matches for the fighters means less wear and tear and they can go all out more because of the smaller amount of matches

If NJPW sticks with the four-block setup and is able to properly push the COVID-stunted stars of the future (instead of dooming a post-boom generation the way the 3rd was), the real upside of this G1 format is going to be not burning out singles matchups. Beyond the myriad issues of post-Elite NJPW, I still believe the "no fresh matchups" problem to be their biggest. Five to ten years from now when Shooter, Tsuji, Yuya, and Ren are all leading their own blocks, big show main events are going to be a lot less cut-and-paste if they haven't wrestled each other every other August.

If you're a deathmatch fan I'd recommend looking up the main event of the FREEDOMS Jun Kasai Tokyo Deathmatch Carnival Vol.1 that was on Samurai. Daisuke Masaoka, Jun Kasai & the returning Masashi Takeda vs ERE of Drew Parker, Toshiyuki Sakuda & Violento Jack. Excellent stuff.