DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

2 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

GLEAT announced their new tag team titles called G-INFINITY,  Kento Miyahara and Flamita will go after them in a tournament. 

well. that's motherfucking awesome.

• Like 1

GLEAT

Shinya Aoki debutted doing UWF rules, he has no interest in UWF style but he wants to face and destroy Kiyoshi Tamura.

Edited by Blue Dragon

3 hours ago, Control said:

Was absolutely thrilled for him. And he apparently wants to face Kenoh down the line, who of course is from Michinoku Pro originally.

The show should be available to watch as it's due to air on Samurai TV on the 10th. Usually only get a couple of Michinoku Pro shows outside of the dojo stuff that airs on their Youtube, & obviously it's not what it used to be but it's still always fun to check in when I get the chance.

• Like 1

GLEAT again

Nagata did some pro wrestling moves in the main event UWF rules match, the elbow he did was too dangerous and the ref admonished him.  Nagata proved Pro Wrestling is the strongest unintentionally.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Anyone know how to get NJPW World on Roku? The shows they have on the Roku channel haven't updated since October, and it doesn't seem like Roku's AXS channel has any wrestling on it. 

Pretty sure the app is only on Amazon devices so if you want to watch it on something that isn't one of those then you'll need to pull it up on a browser and cast it to your TV.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, Kropotkin's Beard said:

And he apparently wants to face Kenoh down the line, who of course is from Michinoku Pro originally.

IIRC their match against each other in M-Pro was incredible, and this was way before Kenoh had the dye job and everything. There was a big "rising star" feel with that one.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:51 AM, Lawful Metal said:

For Lawful Jr's birthday we have resubscribed to New Japan World.  We haven't watched since Wrestle Kingdom, which we were somewhat disappointed in.  Anything we have to watch before G1 starts?

I am biased admittedly, but I think NJPW has been quite good since the Anniversary show. This was my list of my favourite matches prior to Best of the Super Juniors

- Shingo Takagi vs Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW Cup 26/3)
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs Will Ospreay (NJPW Cup 21/3)
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii (Dontaku 2/5)
- Shingo Takagi vs Hiromu Takahashi (NJPW Cup 21/3)
- Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito (Dontaku 2/5)
- Minoru Suzuki vs Hiromu Takahashi (NJPW Cup 13/3)
- Kazuchika Okada vs El Desperado (NJPW Cup 2/3)

Best of the Super Juniors had some good stuff too, I posted a lot of recommendations in the BoSJ thread but if I had to narrow down to a top 3
- Robbie Eagles vs El Phantasmo (26/5)
- Hiromu Takahashi vs El Desperado (3/6)
- El Desperado vs Robbie Eagles (29/5)
(Despy was on fire in the BoSJ, pretty much can't go wrong with any of his stuff)

And I'd also throw in the Dominion main event (Okada vs White) as well as that probably is key to the set up of the G1 as we as Ishimori vs Hiromu from Korakuen (20/6 I think...)

Edited by Horangi
Match correction

Evolution 

20 applications so far. Shuji reconciled with Suwama and Shuji has an eye for girls. 2 to 4 beginners will be decided.

9a30a4d45e39a05d2e13fac1958c60a9.jpg

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

NJPW will lift the ban on voice support or cheering at the two Korakuen Hall shows on September 5th and 6th.

For the NJPW/Stardom show, two mixed gender tags matches will be held.

Stardom talent will appear on NJPW America shows in the future 

Kidani would like to push young lions right away and more faster. And reform the process.

Kidani stated this G-1 is the start of a new era, same as when Bushiroad bought out NJPW in 2012.

Edited by Blue Dragon

So, when the cheering ban is lifted, what's the excuse to no one caring about NJPW going to be instead of admiting it's stale as month old bread at this point and needs a massive shakeup?

On 7/7/2022 at 1:48 PM, Raziel said:

So, when the cheering ban is lifted, what's the excuse to no one caring about NJPW going to be instead of admiting it's stale as month old bread at this point and needs a massive shakeup?

Worth noting that I am currently watching a ZERO1 show from earlier today (that is being shown on NicoNico for free: https://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv337641855) & the crowd are shouting & cheering & it's lovely. Astroman, Shoki Kitamura & Tsugutaka Sato vs Satsuki Nagao, Takafumi & Takumi Baba is hotter than Wrestle Kingdom.

I mean, the quiet crowd's affected pretty much all Japan until recently, and AJPW, NOAH, DDT, and TJPW haven't had the boring predictability and repetitiveness across the card that NJPW and STARDOM have had.  At least STARDOM's had Tam and Natsu doing different stips to try and spice it up a bit, but pretty much everything Bushiroad is cookie cutter from start to finish.

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

I mean, the quiet crowd's affected pretty much all Japan until recently, and AJPW, NOAH, DDT, and TJPW haven't had the boring predictability and repetitiveness across the card that NJPW and STARDOM have had.  At least STARDOM's had Tam and Natsu doing different stips to try and spice it up a bit, but pretty much everything Bushiroad is cookie cutter from start to finish.

They run a lot more and half of what we are watching are essentially house shows. Of course its gets repetitive.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They run a lot more and half of what we are watching are essentially house shows. Of course its gets repetitive.

"A lot more" seemed off considering how active a couple of groups were, so I looked. In terms of joshi promotions and their 2022 events:

- Gatoh Move/ChocoPro: 59
- Stardom: 58
- Ice Ribbon: 57
- Tokyo Joshi Pro: 32
- WAVE: 25
- Pure-J: 25
- Diana: 15
- Marvelous: 11
- SEAdLINNNG: 9
- Oz Academy: 9

I did not expect ChocoPro to have the most events when I crunched the numbers, but there we go.

3 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

"A lot more" seemed off considering how active a couple of groups were, so I looked. In terms of joshi promotions and their 2022 events:

I did not expect ChocoPro to have the most events when I crunched the numbers, but there we go.

Pure-J has run 25 shows this year?  They must all be at their dojo.

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Pure-J has run 25 shows this year?  They must all be at their dojo.

Just over half!

- Kame Dojo: 13
- Itabashi Green Hall: 7
- Tokyo Geijutsu Center White Studio: 2
- Basement Monstar: 1
- Asakusa Hanayashiki: 1
- Shin-Kiba 1st Ring: 1

2 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Just over half!

- Kame Dojo: 13
- Itabashi Green Hall: 7
- Tokyo Geijutsu Center White Studio: 2
- Basement Monstar: 1
- Asakusa Hanayashiki: 1
- Shin-Kiba 1st Ring: 1

AWESOME!  Let's hear it for Pure-J for hustling this year.

Just now, DEAN said:

AWESOME!  Let's hear it for Pure-J for hustling this year.

Whatever gets more Crea into people's hearts and minds, I'm for it!

On 7/7/2022 at 10:48 PM, Raziel said:

I'm assuming this is targeted at me as I think I'm the only one on here that is still quite positive on NJPW, specifically since the Anniversary show. The below is just my opinion and may be a little contrary to general feeling so I do apologise in the case this comes off a little defensive. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that since mid-2020, NJPW has been in a stale holding pattern. This, coupled with disasters such as House of Torture and a contentious IWGP World Heavyweight Title that was seemingly cursed hasn't helped. I do think it is a stretch though to say 2022 NOAH has been booked better (since March anyway) and AJPW has also had stretches of uninteresting booking over the pandemic as well (though I do think AJPW's top end of the card has been booked better overall). 

I don't think anyone, even us few diehard NJPW fans left, believe that everything will be fine once the cheering ban is lifted. Far from it, changes are needed. As much as I'd love to see something like a Rainmaker shock again, I don't think it is going to happen (and who would they do it with anyway? Umino?). However they do look like they are trying to refresh things slowly with the new additions from Best of Super Juniors, returning KUSHIDA, Jay White (hopefully) having a good run with the belt, starting to incorporate LA Dojo/Strong guys (and possibly Fale Dojo guys soon), and a different G1 format (which I am cautiously optimistic will deliver and give the promotion some momentum again).

I guess we will just have to see how the G1 goes, Kidani says he wants it to be the start of a new era, so I think this will really be where we can gauge where the booking is heading over the next 6 months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

20+ shows is a lot more to me, and the only joshi group mentioned from that post was TJPW so I'm not sure why you counted up everyone. 

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

20+ shows is a lot more to me, and the only joshi group mentioned from that post was TJPW so I'm not sure why you counted up everyone. 

I'm a data analyst. S'what I do.