DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

41 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

There was cheering at the NOMADS' show last month. Ultimo Dragon told the fans to cheer during a match at the Dragongate Toryumon Reunion last week, & someone from DG then came out & said "no, don't".

I'm still not even clear if this is a law thing or something the wrestling companies have taken on themselves. Because apparently folk are cheering at J-League soccer games & baseball games now.

It was never a law per se. It was, like most measures introduced in Japan, something the federal government recommended to the prefectural governments who then made the final decision. This being Japan, the no-cheering ban was followed pretty much everywhere. The wording now is that it depends on the capacity in the building - if you keep it under the full capacity cheering can be allowed.

One idea floating around is that depending on the results of the next election in July, some restrictions may be lifted. The government is going to play it safe until then.

7 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

Anyone know what happened to Takayuki Ueki? Saw a pray for Ueki graphic and have no idea what the deal was

I believe he injured his knee on the 3rd May Freedoms show & is going to undergo surgery shortly.

As far as I can make out from Google translate it could be an ACL injury

13 hours ago, matwarz said:

Out of the box suggestion; how about destroying it and pretending this shit never happened?

I'm for keeping the KOPW, at least it's the one match on the show that doesn't look like every other match.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Damn I just found out Jun & Rei Saito were born in '86?? That's gotta be the oldest age of someone to debut in a long time. Even Tamon Honda was "only" 30 when he started. 

The only one I can think of that has them beat would be The Bodyguard, formerly of All Japan & Zeus's tag partner. He was 40 when he debuted for Osaka Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

The only one I can think of that has them beat would be The Bodyguard, formerly of All Japan & Zeus's tag partner. He was 40 when he debuted for Osaka Pro

Holy crap and I had no idea he was that old either. I guess it's never too late to chase that dream...

NJPW:

Shingo Takagi (c) vs Taichi for the KOPW will be Takagi-style 10-minute unlimited pinfall match.

NOAH:

Go Shiozaki vs Satoshi Kojima is Grand Arm Lariat vs Western Lariat.  Kojima learned the western lariat from Stan Hansen back in 2002. Before that Kojima did the Bumping Lariats which is rarely used ever since learning the western lariat.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
22 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Kiku from Ice Ribbon debuted in November 2021, when she was 43, and Himiko in Diana is... I think 50, but debuted when she was 49.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Lot of stuff happened today.

Spoiler

Saw Jun scolding Nakajima for knocking out Endo, Nakajima folded like a junior next to his senior.

Kojima won the GHC HW, I expected that. He is also one of the only men to win all of the GHC HW, NWA World, the defunct IWGP HW, Triple Crown. Muto was the first.

Somebody's else translation

Akiyama: I used to do this style too but Baba told me: What matters in the end is...When you remember we are wrestlers who spar together and I learnt to control myself.
He doesn't have that in him. We are in the same group. Does he understand that concept?
My partner (Endo) he...its not about getting back at Nakajima. I'm sure wrestling fans will want me to get back but no its not like that.
Some wrestlers still keep going when their consciousness are out. And it'll lead to something bigger. Everyone's like that now right? We shouldn't be having such injuries like this! Let's wrestle properly. Let's. That's all.

• Like 1

That Shiozaki/Kojima match was Kojima's best singles match since Feb '02 against Tenryu!

Ok... I might be overselling it (the 08 G1 win over Tanahashi then!)

Also, Kojima's ring entrance was #2 of the night behind Yuka Sakazaki and her army of genies!

James

On 6/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Octopus said:

Yuji Okabayashi vs Daisuke Sekimoto from  Big Japan Welcome Back was good ole big dudes grappling, smashing their bodies against each other, chops, and meat. 

Here’s screenshots of them grappling 

Spoiler

FF6-ADFCC-8-FC0-4-E83-BA06-5-AE951376-CF
1-CC5-D8-AA-B1-E0-4167-AD0-B-C7-F1-A2-FD
3338902-D-C455-4-B5-E-915-D-EC173-B7-FA611457501-41-C4-4-BEF-AE23-43-A2-D91-C1-B
3803-E8-B1-7906-4881-9-D14-F3-E81-A215-B

Pretty cool stuff.

• Like 3