DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

On 5/16/2022 at 10:39 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Suwama will launch a women's wrestling group. "Evolution" Co., Ltd was established this month and they started recruiting new female trainees. They aim to debut at the AJP Budokan Show in Tokyo on September 18.  

It is a separate organization from AJPW. One that will partner up with AJPW. So another AJPW successor promotion formed on their 50th year. Shuji will help. No name yet for the new group.

A press conference about it all at the end of this month.

Glad to hear it isn't dead.

• Like 1

GLEAT's G Pro Ver.25 has just ended. Top to bottom a really good show, standouts were Takanori Ito vs Yu Iizuka in the 2nd match & the G-REX Title match between El Lindaman & Shigehiro Irie. Holy shit that main event. Absolutely gnarly, Irie tried to kill Lindaman. But DASH Chisako vs Michiko Miyagi, Hirooki Goto vs Hayato Tamura, CIMA & Shingo vs BULK Orchestra of Kawakami & KAZMA and 60 Seconds vs T-Hawk, Issei Onitsuka & the debuting Jack Cartwheel are all really fun. Cartwheel seemed to work better here than when I'd seen him in PWG or GCW shows, & the crowd got really into his over-the-top flippy shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to catch up on a couple of matches but this was a damned great show. I really loved Dash and Michiko working headlocks and kicking the piss out of each other. Top three matches were all great but for the love of Shibata, tone down on the headbutts. Shingo v Kawakami will do just nicely, thanks for asking. I’d say it but DEAN will sue.. take it away squire…

I loved that Tonsho and Cartwheel started out matching high spots and then Cartwheel totally overwhelmed every part of the match.

Just watched Yu Izuuka vs Takamori Ito while not half asleep and that's some quality professional wrestling.  Ito is so hard edged and Izuuka is so slick.  They should move way up the card.

"Puro" is a made up word the west likes to use, would make more sense to say the 'Resu which is short for wrestling.

Professional Wrestling long name in Japan is プロフェッショナルレスリング.
興行レスリング is rare anways...so let's not use it.

22 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

垂直落下式パワーボム (三冠パワーボム)or Vertical drop power bomb (Triple Crown Power Bomb)

I remember this being dubbed the "Ganso Bomb".

It's been maybe 20 years since I've seen this match... I seem to recall this not being the finish. 

Yeah the Ganzo Bomb name is wrong for that move above.  There is no ganzo bomb.

Lou Thesz piledriver botch into a powerbomb was one of the first powerbombs. Lou Thesz pile driver (River's Slam) the original powerbomb or 元祖パワーボム。

Forget about the first video, it's shown in the final one below

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I remember this being dubbed the "Ganso Bomb".

It's been maybe 20 years since I've seen this match... I seem to recall this not being the finish. 

I could be wrong, but I think “gonzo bomb” is just what the move was called when it was included in a Fire Pro game.

I read at some point that what the commentator says during the move translates to something like “what the fuck was that!?”

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Control said:

I could be wrong, but I think “gonzo bomb” is just what the move was called when it was included in a Fire Pro game.

I read at some point that what the commentator says during the move translates to something like “what the fuck was that!?”

Fire Pro is probably where I picked it up from!

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Gonzo bomb...?

muppet-show-muppets.gif

That's more of a Gonzo explosion, admittedly.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Fire Pro is probably where I picked it up from!

You, and the whole IWC, I think.

(I blame autocorrect for the “gonzo” thing)

Edited by Control

6 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

"Puro" is a made up word the west likes to use, would make more sense to say the 'Resu which is short for wrestling.

Professional Wrestling long name in Japan is プロフェッショナルレスリング.
興行レスリング is rare anways...so let's not use it.

I remember 70's jackets, shirts, etc. that had PRO. WRES. on them because the period was because it was an abbreviation. 

How did the west start to use sole butt for a savate kick? Was that from a video game too? The damn AEW announcer says that all the time. That one really bugs me. Meltzer continually calling Jordans, Lebrons, and other sneakerhead kicks tennis shoes makes me go nuts too.

Edited by ka-to

How dare you besmirch Excalibur. Yes, he got some of his move names from Super Fire Pro Wrestling Premium X as he played it a lot and uses it as a call back.

I still haven't figured out if Kawada did the piledriver there because he couldn't use his broken arm properly to help lift Misawa back up or if that was the planned move. Misawa protects himself as best as you can expect. You'd think if that wasn't the planned move, he'd have come up with something less horrifying or maybe maneuvered him into a real piledriver. Perhaps on the spur of the moment. I recall them using it again in their NOAH match in the Tokyo Dome, but I think it was safer all things considered.

Edited by Ryan

34 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Whoa when did Brute Issei return to wrestling? My 2005-AJPW-loving ass just saw his name in the recent All Japan results and nearly hit the floor. 

After more than a decade away he showed up on a handful of JTO shows in 2020 & wasn't heard from again until these AJPW shows. It's strange.

• Thanks 1