DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

Something about him and his contract. He seems upset. It's hard to really know without knowing conversational Japanese or being able to read the actual texts.

Wreddit's translation:

Spoiler

This all started with Kota's first published this tweet. (Further translations from @golden_kuma)

Ibushi: "I'll expose all about the former cheaters-gun (already returned) and the sexually harrasing bosses, from the company president's lies to his unreasonable power harrasments this time ? Get prepared for this❗ ToSpo and TV Asahi too. I don't care~"

-- Kota's Second Tweet translated.

Context: Ibushi's LINE chat with Kikuchi-san (presumably a member of NJPW officials)

Kikuchi: "Maybe we should end your contract with NJPW."

Ibushi: "If I'm told so from the NJPW side, I can't complain. I'll get things settled. It's fine if you just fire me."

Kikuchi: "I don't want to do that. What happened to you?"

Ibushi: "There's no reason whatsoever. I have no excuse either and don't know why but I can't align with the company's rules. If this atmosphere is too weird, then it can be quick, so you can cut me with no remorse."

--

Kota's third tweet translated.

Ibushi: "As we discussed, it turned out that what's black is still black. I'm not a robot. Kikuchi stinked since he wanted me to return before Wrestle Kingdom if I was healed up. I endured it tho."

//

NOTE: A "black" company (ブラック企業, burakku kigyō) is a Japanese term for an exploitative sweatshop-type employment system. (Thanks /u/dcosborne)

--

Kota's fourth tweet translated.

Ibushi: "You know what is going on behind the scenes if you've been in the business for no less than 18 years. I don't think it is a negative thing, I take it rather positively. I'm very very calm. Thanks for your concern."

--

Kota's fifth tweet translated.

Kikuchi: "Don't you think it's wrong to make an appearance (without permission)? Maybe we should talk in the office."

Ibushi: "You came at me to end the contract so I thought that was it. I'd accept it. I don't think it changes if we talked."

Kikuchi: "It looks like you can't open a conversation by yourself so that you caused problems and make it other guys' fault to leave the company. I mean, you have extra reasons or issues other than that, don't you?"

Ibushi: "Nothing at all!"

Kikuchi: "Because if you think you've done nothing wrong, and if suddenly a LINE message about ending your contract comes, wouldn't you ask "did I do anything wrong?"

Ibushi: "I didn't. I didn't think it was a problem so sorry about that. I'll talk to the higher-ups." (fin.)

• Thanks 1

It's a big deal. Some wrestlers are supportive and some aren't. The ones that aren't... are just worried about people losing jobs in their own worded way.

Some Japanese tweets collected about the situation in links below, may have to cut and paste the tweets and put them into bing translate or google translate. 

https://matomebu.com/sports/line20220510/

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=飯伏 幸太&src=recent_search_click&f=live

Edited by Blue Dragon

Bloody hell, couldn't sleep so I ended up going down this rabbit hole...

Seems to be a lot of different takes, from Ibushi having a legitimate issue to it being a parody of a YouTube account to it all being an angle to form some new team/group with KENTA. I have no idea but am leaning towards Ibushi having legitimate issues with some people in upper management, possibly around trying to rush him back around Wrestle Kingdom and then again for the New Japan Cup.

Exploitative workplaces...this isn't just a NJPW problem, this is Japan-wide (both in and out of Pro Wrestling) - my fiance is from Japan and refuses to go back (despite how much I try to push us to move there) because her professional life here in Australia is so different, she isn't working 12-14 hour days and having to be on all the time with only 1 week holiday leave. My brother had similar experiences teaching in Kobe. The pressure/exploitation part certainly is not a surprise based on what I've heard from them, so I hope something positive can come from this at least in NJPW. 

What I can't figure out is the cheater-gun thing...does he have some issue with TAKA/Taichi? Seems odd considering he appeared on their show (which I think is the unapproved appearance based on the messages). 

This whole thing is a lot and confusing, I think it might need to take a breather, wait and see what happens. 

EDIT: Ibushi is up and tweeting again, some of his responses to people asking him to return (either to DDT or NJPW) indicate he might be done with wrestling. As a big fan of his, I selfishly hope not but if he isn't in a good place then I really want him to take as much time as he needs even if it means he doesn't come back. 

Edited by Horangi
Kota Ibushi is awake and tweeting again
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Card for Kobashi’s next FORTUNE DREAM show (courtesy Purolove):

Kenta Kobashi Produce "FORTUNE DREAM 7", 15.06.2022 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

- Himeka  vs. Lady C  
- Takao Omori  vs. Issei Onitsuka  
- Talk Battle: Kenta Kobashi vs. Stan Hansen 
- Shuji Ishikawa, Yuji Hino & Daisuke Sekimoto  vs. Tetsuya Endo, Yuma Aoyagi  & Daichi Hashimoto  
- #STRONGHEARTS vs. TOTAL ECLIPSE: CIMA  & T-Hawk  vs. Jake Lee  & Hokuto Omori  
- Minoru Suzuki & Takuya Nomura  vs. Kengo Mashimo  & Takanori Ito 

The six-man and the main look fun.

• Like 2

Yeah, the VOW report of the stuff about the Dome and NJC seem to be the direct opposite situation of what it was reported Ibushi said according to translations. He's not remotely healthy enough to get in a ring from the sound of it.

Edited by Ryan

That was what I took away from it. Ibushi was being pressured to return early from injury and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Wild, I hope after all he has put himself through physically that he can rest and heal. 

• Like 1

From what I've learned about Japanese culture and business, they don't appreciate it when people are made aware of how horrible things may be in general. I'm sure it's even worse in this industry. Ibushi doesn't appear to care about the stupid conservative social norms crap that runs everything in a very surprisingly isolated and xenophobic older society if you only know Japan through works of fiction rather than history and government.

By conservative I mean modern government originally ran by fascism loving loons.

Edited by Ryan

Someone totally different. As far as Japanese surnames, it's probably common enough. Based on a list of common names on Wikipedia, it was 99th in some survey of a 6 million customers of a company. There are 291ksome different surnames in Japan, which is, a lot. Many are romanized and pronounced the same though. That's just the different kanji.

Edited by Ryan

AJPW:

Seems Yuma doesn't want to be a self proclaimed Ace. I have to find out myself if that info is true later, because nowadays some of the real AJPW info is hidden behind paywalls.

If Yuma wins the Triple Crown... at 26 years and 6 months, he will break Miyahara's youngest coronation record (26 years and 11 months).

The number of Aces increased in AJPW, Kento and Jake, so AJPW moved away from the old traditions of just having one guy who is really the main.

Kota wants to expose but I'm not sure how the info will be exposed. I'm not sure if there will be lawsuits too or not.

Starting to be picked up by some news sites

https://hochi.news/articles/20220512-OHT1T51068.html?page=1

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/0e545162e35b6dce898b72414965ce1a21b12ae3

Probably expect Kota to show up in the smaller promotions in Japan.  I'm thinking of past incidents in the business history..."They" could try to block Kota from appearing in AEW. Or try to Blackball him.

Edited by Blue Dragon