DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

He wasn't booked or on the show. 

They gave Tana the gimmick belt. Tanahashi wants Jake Lee to come to NJPW.

9.jpg

Is NJPW, uh, short on tall wrestlers?

(actually: who is the tallest New Japan guy?)

6 minutes ago, Control said:

Is NJPW, uh, short on tall wrestlers?

(actually: who is the tallest New Japan guy?)

AJPW is mostly taller guys.  

Only Okada and maybe Fale are tall. Kota is five foot 11. The rest have exaggerated worked heights, and are below 6 foot. Lot are still taller than the average male in Japan though. The Choshu and Kensuke and Junior heights took over in NJPW in the end.

These two men below are leaving DragonGate. Gamma is retiring when he leaves. Shisa body is no longer what it at was for DG, and Gamma is done on Aug 14.

faec3e988efe7053ee7ac2ea3a0df927-450x278

Edited by Blue Dragon

As per Twitter, Shuji Ishikawa is coming to Freedoms to face Tomoya Hirata, on the 3rd May Yokohama Budokan show. We're also getting Kasai vs Toshiyuki Sakuda, King of Freedoms Title match with Daisuke Masaoka defending vs Toru Sugiura, & I believe we're getting Violento Jack vs Kenji Fukimoto in a mask vs...facepaint? match (I don't speak any Spanish & Google translate sure isn't great. But it says he's betting his mask: "If they think I'm going to sit next to Fukimoto and quietly give a press conference, it's because they have no idea what betting my mask means to me".). ERE of Takayuki Ueki & Kyu Mogami vs Rina Yamashita & Takashi Sasaki in a match Ueki claims is inspired by the Backyard Wrestling video game.

A lot of potential fun on that show.

• Like 1

NJPW, AJPW, NOAH all have their own red belts below the black belts now. That's a new norm for men promotions these days in Japan. AJPW's TV belt design is based on the defunct AJW Red belt.

Not sure if they will ever update the AJPW world tags, they're very old now and somewhat broken here and there and smell but they outlasted the rest of original titles from the 90's in AJPW.

• Like 1

Depending on how much of a sick fuck you're feeling, the King of FREEDOM World Title match between Jun Kasai & Daisuke Masaoka from 29th March rises above the technical problems to be a pretty gross but extremely compelling match. But it's a Glassboard & Alpha Deathmatch so obviously not for the squeamish.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:39 AM, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Depending on how much of a sick fuck you're feeling, the King of FREEDOM World Title match between Jun Kasai & Daisuke Masaoka from 29th March rises above the technical problems to be a pretty gross but extremely compelling match. But it's a Glassboard & Alpha Deathmatch so obviously not for the squeamish.

It wasn't as good as their match from late last year but still far better than most deathmatches.

Freedoms 5/3 show looks excellent. Daisuke Masaoka vs Toru Sugiura for the KFC, Jun Kasai vs Toshiyuki Sakuda, Violento Jack vs Kenji Fukimoto, Shuji Ishikawa vs Tomoya Hirata and more.

• Like 1

Otani and Zero 1 and the industry news:

Putting it all in my own words, seems we may get the players discussing the remaining extremes fans expect, and how to cut down on that stuff.

Last time, many years ago something worse happened when Misawa died. They had meetings for that accident after. The headrops and dangerous backdrops that were further reduced years ago in NOAH was because of Misawa's death.

Lioness Asuka brought up safety in her own words, wanting players to become more "professional" and make accidents closer to 0.

The industry does have lot of older fighters. Degenerative spine conditions still happen as you age without bumps as well.