DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

On 3/20/2022 at 5:35 AM, sabremike said:

Is the All Japan streaming service any good? Thinking of checking it out.

In a related note the Wrestle Universe app is tremendous.

I find AJPW.TV good value, especially with the Carnival coming. I don't know if this will be the case going forward but they film every show they run for it at present, which has meant 4 to 6 shows most months during COVID. Smaller shows like when they run 2AW Square or Saitama tend to go up as VODs, usually within 24 hours. And then you get Korakuen Hall, Yokohama Hodogaya Hall & Shinkiba 1stRING & stuff like today's Ota Ward Gym show live. This month had 4 live & 2 VOD, 

There's not much of an archive really if that's what you are interested in. So it basically goes back to when the service launched, either 2017. Though there is some stuff from the Mutoh era, not full shows IIRC. Not the greatest site for navigating those archives but I could be missing a trick because I mainly use it to keep up with the current shows

• Thanks 1

AJPW

purolove

Spoiler

AJPW "CHAMPIONS NIGHT 3 ~ 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR", 21.03.2022 (AJPW.tv)
Ota City General Gymnasium
1,319 Fans

1. Hiroshi Yamato, Andy Wu & Seigo Tachibana besiegen Ryo Inoue, SUGI & Takato Nakano  (9:39) nach einem Fisherman Suplex Hold von Yamato gegen Inoue.
2. Carbell Ito Return Match: Yoshitatsu, Carbell Ito & Raimu Imai  besiegen Izanagi, Shigehiro Irie & SUSHI (10:23) nach dem Yoshitatsu Fanatics von Yoshitatsu gegen SUSHI.
3. Dan Tamura & Abdullah Kobayashi  besiegen Takao Omori & Black Menso~re (11:31) nach dem Diving Bakachinga Elbow Drop von Kobayashi gegen Menso~re.
4. Last Man Standing Match: Shotaro Ashino besiegt Ryuki Honda (12:31) durch KO.
5. Special Six Man Tag Match: Tatsumi Fujinami , Mitsuya Nagai  & LEONA  besiegen Yuma Aoyagi, Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO (12:16) nach einem Dragon Sleeper von Fujinami gegen Atsuki.
6. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hikaru Sato (c) besiegt Hokuto Omori (16:39) mit einem Backdrop Suplex (1st defense).
7. Voodoo Murders vs. Total Eclipse Special Ten Man Tag Match - Jake Lee Return Match: Suwama, TARU, Shuji Kondo, KONO & Toshizu vs. Jake Lee, TAJIRI, Koji Doi, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama - No Contest.
8. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) besiegt Shuji Ishikawa (32:28) mit einem Shutdown Suplex Hold (2nd defense).

On 3/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, killsteve said:

Jaded puro fan here - is there anything from 2022 so far that's worth tracking down and giving a watch? I'm pretty out of the loop but still feel like keeping a toe in the water every now and then. Thanks in advance!

I loved Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Go Shiozaki from January 1st NOAH, Kenoh vs Kaito Kiyomiya on the same card, Takashi Sugiura vs Masato Tanaka from 1/1 Zero1 as well as Fuminori Abe vs Shoki Kitamura from that show. There's also January 3rd AJPW Tag Title Match between Runaway SUPLEX & NEXTREAM, a great NOAH Singles with Shiozaki vs Sugiura from 27th January. GLEAT have a show from 22nd February with El Lindaman vs T-Hawk. 7th March has Shingo Takagi vs Tomohiro Ishii in the New Japan Cup which is great.

There's also a fun (modern) All Japan style match for the Open The Dream Gate belt in Dragongate from 4th February which isn't the best but is really good & and absolutely unDG like clash between KAI & Takashi Yoshida (former Cyber Kong & a guy I often dreaded watching until super recently)

There's honestly a lot of good shit to check already this year.

Edited by Kropotkin's Beard
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

AJPW

purolove

Hide contents

AJPW "CHAMPIONS NIGHT 3 ~ 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR", 21.03.2022 (AJPW.tv)
Ota City General Gymnasium
1,319 Fans

1. Hiroshi Yamato, Andy Wu & Seigo Tachibana besiegen Ryo Inoue, SUGI & Takato Nakano  (9:39) nach einem Fisherman Suplex Hold von Yamato gegen Inoue.
2. Carbell Ito Return Match: Yoshitatsu, Carbell Ito & Raimu Imai  besiegen Izanagi, Shigehiro Irie & SUSHI (10:23) nach dem Yoshitatsu Fanatics von Yoshitatsu gegen SUSHI.
3. Dan Tamura & Abdullah Kobayashi  besiegen Takao Omori & Black Menso~re (11:31) nach dem Diving Bakachinga Elbow Drop von Kobayashi gegen Menso~re.
4. Last Man Standing Match: Shotaro Ashino besiegt Ryuki Honda (12:31) durch KO.
5. Special Six Man Tag Match: Tatsumi Fujinami , Mitsuya Nagai  & LEONA  besiegen Yuma Aoyagi, Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO (12:16) nach einem Dragon Sleeper von Fujinami gegen Atsuki.
6. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hikaru Sato (c) besiegt Hokuto Omori (16:39) mit einem Backdrop Suplex (1st defense).
7. Voodoo Murders vs. Total Eclipse Special Ten Man Tag Match - Jake Lee Return Match: Suwama, TARU, Shuji Kondo, KONO & Toshizu vs. Jake Lee, TAJIRI, Koji Doi, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama - No Contest.
8. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) besiegt Shuji Ishikawa (32:28) mit einem Shutdown Suplex Hold (2nd defense).

Carbell Ito and SUSHI bringing those big numbers.

Nice to see Kento continuing to outdraw Fujita in NOAH by big numbers.

i’m hearing very good things about the main event.

• Like 1

AJPW news

Spoiler

Voodoo Murders was a 1 night thing, but Suwama seems to at least wants to keep doing "Voodoo Murders Suwama" at the CC.

Jake Lee did his moonsault.

Sato vs former AJP/W1 player Yamato is next for the Junior title.

They are selling head pillows of Kento, Jake, Suwama, Shuji. And key chains below.

http://www.all-japan.co.jp/wp-new/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/acrylic-key.jpeg

Fuchi has a new book, Royal Blues. 

• Like 1

Kento brought up the old AJPW sayings I wrote about:

"All Japan Pro Wrestling is a bright, fun and intense wrestling. And it's a "Royal Road" and a "real wrestling ".

He has been using the term Royal Road lately, something he avoids mostly. He thinks AJPW and the Royal Road are the middle of Pro Wrestling. 

He wants to nominate someone if he wins the CC.

Edited by Blue Dragon

Koji Doi is good! I haven’t seen anything next-level from him, that makes me think “Triple Crown Champion,” but there’s no reason he can’t be in high-level singles matches.

Really hoping AJ can sign him and Kuma permanently.

Slowly catching up with AJPW, the RWTL finals with them was good. I think Doi did well with what they gave him to do in the CC last year, I get why he isn't in it this year though. I think he can be a reliable mid card guy for AJPW.

The next Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship match will be held in Sapporo on May 15th, for the first time in about 7 years. Last time it was Akebono (c) vs Kento back then.

The Triple Crown match will be Kento vs whoever he appoints if he wins the CC, or if he loses the CC and the winner of the CC will face him for the title.

The World tags match will be on May 14. It should be noted those tags are actually World tags unlike the other promotions HW tags.

Shouldn't bother so much with attendances in Japan until Covid is over. Still, there may be lingering attendances issues post covid, some people may decide to stay home and watch what they like home.

The full Jumbo memorial show card will be out later. The card will have men from more groups unlike the upcoming NJPW/AJPW show. Maybe also another chance to see the old Triple crown, which all belts are used for ceremonial purposes these days. (Giving them to Kento or recently crowning Jake Lee as the additional Ace.)

Older men from any of the previous eras of AJPW wills be on the card. Great Kojika, Yoshiaki Yatsu, Shiro Koshinaka, and Masao Inoue. Tatsumi Fujinami, Jun Akiyama, and Atsushi Onita will participate in the first round or match.

The tournament or card is sponsored by "HJT Production", which manages the rights of the late Giant Baba. Both New Japan and All Japan will cooperate for the show.

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/njpw/4100060/

If the Great O-Khan has become even more amazing - if my translation is right, he saved a girl from being assaulted by a drunk at a train station. When asked for his name at the train station, his response: "New Japan Pro Wrestling's Great O-Khan, so if you like, look at pro wrestling" (from Google translate so probably off). 

Also if anyone's been watching the Lion's Roar series (which has been a lot of fun, though I am familiar with some of the guys from the Aus/NZ indy scene), 3 of them have signed 1 year Young Lion contracts

Spoiler

Michael Richards of Auckland who has already competed in NJPW in Japan, Andrew Villalobos of Sydney who has done a dojo stint before with Richards and competed for NJPW on their Southern Showdown show, and Jake Taylor of Torquay (a few hours out of Melbourne) who has also done a dojo stint before and is actually really good so really happy for him.

Edited by Horangi
Link fixed
  • Like 3