DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

On 2/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Sanada wants to win the IWGP US Belt so he can do a title match with Shingo.

I wouldn't mind that title becoming the belt where the others who can't win the IWGP World (as well no longer can win) actually win instead. The Ic title booking was similar to that booking style.

The never title looks like it is below the US title for now.

Edited by KingM

Just now, KingM said:

I wouldn't mind that title becoming the belt where the others who can't win the IWGP World (as well no longer can win) actually win  instead. The Ic title booking was similar to that booking style.

The never title looks like it is below the US title for now.

I agree with all that.

I think nowadays NJPW wants the IWGP Jr title above all the other titles except for the World HW of course.

fc-1.png

A British YouTuber living in Japan for the last few years, CDawgVA, befriends Chris Brookes, attends a DDT show, and "learns" to be a pro wrestler. He's mainly an anime nerd, knows nothing about wrestling, but he actually treats it pretty respectfully.

It's 40 minutes all about DDT, basically.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220211/p2a/00m/0na/037000c

AMAKUSA, Kumamoto -- A private museum exhibiting professional wrestling memorabilia collected by its director over more than 50 years is set to open in this southwest Japan city on April 9, it was announced at a Feb. 3 press conference.

Some 500 specially chosen items from a collection of 3,000 artifacts will go in display at the museum, whose name translates to "pro-wrestling hall of fame Ring Side." All items are owned by local frozen desserts maker and seller Nagata Reika Y.K., and a pro-wrestling ring and refreshments section will also be set up inside. Nagata Reika President and Museum Director Shoichi Nagata, 70, said eagerly, "I want to revitalize the community with pro-wrestling."

Crowd funding:
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/550688

My favorite periods of NJPW were the 80's, 90's and the Yukes eras. Unlike others I am fine with current NJPW. But the current shows would be a lot better if the crowds be allowed to do more than just clap, and fully filled up again.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

My favorite periods of NJPW were the 80's, 90's and the Yukes eras. Unlike others I am fine with current NJPW. But the current shows would be a lot better if the crowds be allowed to do more than just clap, and fully filled up again.

Agreed, while there are some problems with current NJPW, full crowds that can make noise would make a huge difference and take away some of the negativity. The NJPW long main event style definitely suffers the most I think from the lack of atmosphere.

I love 90s New Japan, especially for the inter-promotional stuff with companies like WCW, UWFi and WAR. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 8:15 PM, Blue Dragon said:

NJPW 2012-2018 for me.

4 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

As someone who was super into NJPW pre-pandemic but generally lost interest for a variety reasons and have struggled to get back into it, god dammit they found a way and it involves Yano of all fucking people.  A DOG CAGE MATCH!

Are they that desperate for my attention?

I can relate.

R.d51e14f48b60979f22b75fb301ad48c9?rik=0

Miss the IWGP Heavyweight Championship V4 and IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Like how the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship looked with the same with a few differences. I don't like the size of the latter though, needs to be bigger.

I rewatched the '97 BOTSJ finals between Kanemoto and Samurai yesterday. Remember thinking it was one of the wildest, best matches I'd ever seen when I first watched it many years ago. However, I falsely remembered it ending with Kanemoto spiking Samurai from the top with a counter Liger Bomb, whereas in reality Samurai wins with his lifting reverse DDT. What match am I thinking of that ends with a top rope counter Liger bomb? I remember it looking like (what I remember) Samurai breaking his neck because the angle was so high and the force so great. Was it Kanemoto and Samurai or somebody else? Am I making stuff up? I know Samurai and Ohtani have a great match from I believe '96 but I don't think it ends that way. 

edit: should say I did google "kanemoto samurai top rope liger/power bomb" and found nothing. Found nothing when searching just for the move. Plz don't tell me I made this up!

Edited by Jiji

On 2/19/2022 at 12:49 PM, Jiji said:

I rewatched the '97 BOTSJ finals between Kanemoto and Samurai yesterday. Remember thinking it was one of the wildest, best matches I'd ever seen when I first watched it many years ago. However, I falsely remembered it ending with Kanemoto spiking Samurai from the top with a counter Liger Bomb, whereas in reality Samurai wins with his lifting reverse DDT. What match am I thinking of that ends with a top rope counter Liger bomb? I remember it looking like (what I remember) Samurai breaking his neck because the angle was so high and the force so great. Was it Kanemoto and Samurai or somebody else? Am I making stuff up? I know Samurai and Ohtani have a great match from I believe '96 but I don't think it ends that way. 

edit: should say I did google "kanemoto samurai top rope liger/power bomb" and found nothing. Found nothing when searching just for the move. Plz don't tell me I made this up!

I think you’re thinking of Kanemoto vs. Kaz Hayashi from ‘98 BOSJ

https://youtu.be/d-MIG81edes

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, matwarz said:

I have to go back and watch the whole show due to brain fade, but I will give the main of tonight’s GLEAT show a big fat holy fuck. So good I almost forgot about the fans not cheering. 

I just started watching that.  I am up to the STIFF El Lindaman vs T-Hawk match.