DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

Suwama is looking forward to the reunion with NJPW and will start up the rivalry again. He said something about positions of the companys and return to the origin. Last time both promotions faced off was at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on July 1, 2012.

He also went on to say he will be the face of AJPW this year.

Edited by D.Z

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 turns five today. In my opinion, it was a ***** match, the 2017 Match of the Year and one of the best wrestling matches of all time. This documentary is a must see.

NJPW Returns to AXS TV in 2022

https://www.njpw1972.com/112812

AXS TV, a subsidiary of Anthem Sports & Entertainment, Inc., announces the return of New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) to the Network’s lineup with classic episodes beginning January 20 and all-new weekly programs premiering Thursday, March 3 at 10 p.m. ET. NJPW joins AXS TV’s fully-loaded Thursday night wrestling lineup, which also includes IMPACT Wrestling’s flagship series IMPACT! airing at 8 p.m. ET. AXS TV had previously aired a popular weekly NJPW series from 2015-2019. The official announcement was made this morning during NJPW’s premier global Wrestle Kingdom event.

AXS TV’s Thursday wrestling schedule starting January 20 is as follows (all times Eastern):

Thursday, January 20

-3pE – IMPACT Wrestling Classic Pay-Per-View Throwback

-7pE – IMPACT In 60

-8pE – PREMIERE – IMPACT!

-10pE – PREMIERE – New Japan Pro-Wrestling Classic Episodes

-11pE – IMPACT!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 turns five today. In my opinion, it was a ***** match, the 2017 Match of the Year and one of the best wrestling matches of all time. This documentary is a must see.

Given the current state of NJPW I was actually fondly recalling that show tonight and how lucky I was to be there. A string of 4-5* matches and an all-timer for a main event. That match will do down in history as a classic and one of the most influential matches of this generation. I can still see the faces as we filed out of the dome, people in disbelief and awe of what they had just seen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Given the current state of NJPW I was actually fondly recalling that show tonight and how lucky I was to be there. A string of 4-5* matches and an all-timer for a main event. That match will do down in history as a classic and one of the most influential matches of this generation. I can still see the faces as we filed out of the dome, people in disbelief and awe of what they had just seen. 

What a show to attend, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. I gave Kazuchika Okada defending the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito defending the IWGP Intercontinental Championship vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi *****. Sadly NJPW's not what it was. To me the peak period was 2012-2018.

I can’t argue. They were still clinging on up until WK14 but covid was the final nail. The persistence with horrors like the KOPW and six man titles and guys like Yujiro and Owens shows just how much a change is needed. 
But man, WK11. I had Kushida v Hiromu and Shibata v Goto at ****1/2, Tana v Naito at ***** and the main however high you want to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matwarz said:

I can’t argue. They were still clinging on up until WK14 but covid was the final nail. The persistence with horrors like the KOPW and six man titles and guys like Yujiro and Owens shows just how much a change is needed. 
But man, WK11. I had Kushida v Hiromu and Shibata v Goto at ****1/2, Tana v Naito at ***** and the main however high you want to go.

4 minutes ago, matwarz said:

And two nights was a bad idea from the get go. I want the 1/4 magic back again!

Agreed. I think you'd like this:

I’ve checked that out. There were many good points. For my sins, I’m pro-Ospreay however. He’s among the greatest live performers I’ve ever seen, regardless of crowd size, and I find his evolution undeniable. I understand he’s polarising but so were plenty of the tools I grew up with in Norfolk. The hair really is a bloody disgrace though.

Kidani is right to sense panic though. It’s far from a lifting of restrictions. Whilst it certainly applies to all companies, NJPW has arguably fallen the most rungs. The climb back to selling out the dome is going to require some serious rebuilding.

Okada 

Spoiler

Is the 4th IWGP World HW champ

202201040000966-w1300_0.jpg

He has a mission but I can't say what it is unless he beats Will.

Also

Spoiler

Okada vowed overcrowded Tokyo Dome next year. Still in the covid era restrictions applying for shows until the covid scare is over.

Edited by D.Z

Mr Seiji Sakaguchi wants his comrade Mr. Inoki to get back in the NJPW ring someday, along with Fujinami and Choshu. Reunion of sorts. 

With IGF gone and its morphed 00's Inoki-Ism style defunct and gone, NJPW is the true sole inheritor of Strong Style in kayfabe.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

Sanada called out Mutoh, to face each others at the NJPW 50th anniversary show. From AJPW to W-1 and soon NJPW vs NOAH.

If you watched W-1, Mutoh is more likely to lose to his own boys.