DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

22 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Anyone here play Bannerlord II? I started playing it on PS4 last week and it's pretty fun so far. A little bit of a learning curve as the tutorials are pretty worthless and the controls aren't the best. It's probably best played on a PC rather than a console. It kinda feels like an unfinished game as well. It's worth picking up a used copy and I'm enjoying it but definitely don't pay full price for it.

I'm thinking of getting it but considering I haven't played (much less beaten or even Platinum'ed) the first Mount & Blade, I'll hold off until I get that done.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, supremebve said:

I don't think this game got nearly enough hype and it got plenty of hype. It's legitimately one of the greatest games ever made and it's probably the most artistically beautiful open world I've ever played. I get why someone would like to play Kurosawa mode,  but the use of color in the regular mode is fucking amazing. If i ever play Kurosawa mode,  it will be on maybe a 3rd playthrough, because I just want to ride through the countryside looking at the colors. 

The first time I played through it, I started it in Kurosawa mode and made it about halfway through.

Now I need to go back and do a full playthrough in full color all the way. Maybe once I finish Wonderlands. But yes, it's an absolutely gorgeous game and I agree that even though it got a lot of hype it wasn't enough.

• Like 1

Had a boring night at work so I decided to complete my first game on SteamDeck, which was Doom 2016. It ran at 60fps out of the gate, can’t really complain about anything like the resolution either. I beat the story, still have about 10 trophies to get like finding all the secrets, etc.

It probably also helped that I uninstalled a lot of stuff so I could focus on the games I want to complete, like FFX/FFX-2, Chrono Trigger and Cthulhu Saves the World.

Of course then I went and added a bunch of PS2 and PSP games, so…

SteamDeck is getting more play out of me than my PS5 and Series S lately. Which is crazy to think about.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

God, I just got to Act II of Ghost of Tsushima and damn is this LONG.  Why is it so long when it's got at least 5 fewer samurai?!?!?

I can also do without the degree of pointless bullshit on the map.  It'd be one thing if all the Inari shrines actually *led* me to something good, but my inventory is so cluttered with charms I'm never going to use and it feels so incremental.  I don't know if that's a Tomb Raider thing or an AssCreed thing primarily, but it's the kind "converge on the same game for every action RPG" nonsense I can live without.

Speaking of the same damn game over again, I decided to install and play Final Fantasy 13 to farm out the cards and sell them.  Jesus this is some completely stupid weeb bullshit.  I got over playing # 7 when I was 19.

Edited by Contentious C

So, the thing is..

The Inari Shrines actually DO lead to a real good charm and potentially a massively overpowered one.

Now the Pillars of Honor... those are pretty useless overall.

• Like 1

Yeah, petting the foxes is like my # 1 goal in the entire game right now.  Honor? Duty? Country?  Nah, let me give a good hehehe boi some rubs.

Besides, my gripe is less about *this* game and the fact that *all* these games have to do this garbage, so when I get around to HFW, it's going to be the same bullshit *again* and I kind of want to fire the people who keep bloating games like this.  And by 'fire' I mean 'into space', obviously.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

FF13 might be the most "on rails" FF ever, and that's with 10 existing.  It doesn't help that the battle system is probably the most basic "you barely do anything" system in a JRPG as well.  For as many extra games it got, 13 didn't really deserve it.  

I still like it better than 15 though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Yeah, petting the foxes is like my # 1 goal in the entire game right now.  Honor? Duty? Country?  Nah, let me give a good hehehe boi some rubs.

Besides, my gripe is less about *this* game and the fact that *all* these games have to do this garbage, so when I get around to HFW, it's going to be the same bullshit *again* and I kind of want to fire the people who keep bloating games like this.  And by 'fire' I mean 'into space', obviously.

I got the Platinums in both Horizon games and there's lots you can skip to get there , let alone just finishing the story. I'm trying to think of an open world game I felt was really bloated and besides GTA5 nothing comes to mind, but maybe that's through pure luck of game choices 🤷🏻

Forbidden West is definitely bloated. Zero Dawn was so good, and then they added a bunch of boring bloat to the sequel. What a bummer.

Breath of the Wild is bloated unless you're going on a quick path to Calamity Ganon.

But really, the difference between "bloated" and "well-paced" just comes down to whether the combination of combat, traversal, quests, narrative, and world-building makes you want to spend more or less time with the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

But really, the difference between "bloated" and "well-paced" just comes down to whether the combination of combat, traversal, quests, narrative, and world-building makes you want to spend more or less time with the game.

No better way to say it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raziel said:

FF13 might be the most "on rails" FF ever, and that's with 10 existing.  It doesn't help that the battle system is probably the most basic "you barely do anything" system in a JRPG as well.  For as many extra games it got, 13 didn't really deserve it.  

I still like it better than 15 though.

Gameplay-wise, XIII-2 is the way to go for FF13. It is not linear and tries some things mechanics-wise. I remember the story being all over the place but that is true for all FFs after X (not having played 15).

Alright, it's three in the morning and why the hell did I decide to start playing Hades? I had spent a portion of the last month finally deciding to get good at Dead Cells, and was able to complete three runs of that on the base difficulty. So my only knock on Hades is that it seems a little easy, if only because Dead Cells is clearly harder. But everything else seems hopelessly perfect. I beat the first boss on my third run and I got to the boss of the third biome on my seventh run so I feel like I'm doing what some might call "a good job", but I also have no idea how I'm gonna beat said boss any time soon. There's these mechanics I'm avoiding that probably rule. I never use the Cast thing and I bet that's really important. They gave me a special power on my ZR button that I didn't like using but I bet those totally matter. Like Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper, I am afraid to spend my nectar. We're gonna figure this out and then I'm gonna finally beat Bastion afterwards.

• Like 3

I didn't use Cast for the longest time because I was stuck in my ways with the others mechanics.  But it becomes useful on bosses as a God can deal some nice damage while you're doing whatever else.  And getting keys to unlock the other weapons is going to help you a ton.  I sucked with the basic weapon but once I got the spear I fared much better.

So my family still treats me like I am a child (I am 39) and video games are an 'easy' gift for me to ask for/them to find the right one of. Anyway this was my Christmas haul:

Hp8wTZz.jpg

Playing Pokemon first. Oddly the game I wanted the most I didn't get (God of War II) so I'll probably get that at some point with an Amazon gift card. Still its too many games. I am old.

• Like 3