DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Crazy that the site Jeff Gerstmann left to start (Giant Bomb) and his former site (GameSpot) are now owned by the same company. I fully expect Giant Bomb to collapse into GameSpot and it just serves as the name of the podcast for the combined site.

it is still pretty weird but they've been owned by the same company since 2012 when they sold to CBS Interactive

Finally finishing up Guardians of the Galaxy. Really fun game. Spoilers 

Spoiler

Nikki being OG Guardians Nikki from Mercury is awesome. MAGUS being the big bad ,while expected, is awesome. Mantis looking like og Mantis is awesome.

Money well spent

• Like 5

I still have a binder with all the translations for FPD/FPR/KOC2 somewhere in a tub just for a day like this.

I use gamefaqs from time to time because I'd rather hit my pinky toe with a hammer than watch a video guide.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I still have a binder with all the translations for FPD/FPR/KOC2 somewhere in a tub just for a day like this.

I use gamefaqs from time to time because I'd rather hit my pinky toe with a hammer than watch a video guide.

With ya there. Every once in a blue moon I will find one for something I need and it will be lacking any sort of bullshit, loud obnoxious host, excessive length to monetize, etc. Just a video of how to do what I want to do - kind of thing that might bring a tear to a cynical old eye. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Time to go download a bunch of old Final Fantasy walk-through text files

I remember downloading a FF VII walkthrough in like 1998 using the (yes, "the", not "a") PC in our school library. It took a whole recess period, IIRC. Still, it cannot have been that big because I think it fit on a single 3.5'' floppy disk

Edited by Robert s

13 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

it is still pretty weird but they've been owned by the same company since 2012 when they sold to CBS Interactive

What's crazier is that CBS Interactive bought the whole thing for 1.5 BILLION. They sold it to Red Ventures for $500 million.

Fandom, and their legion of adware and popups, bought it for $50 million.

Also, it's no secret I've been a huge fan of Giant Bomb since the beginning and while it has been sad seeing Ryan pass away and everyone move on over the years, especially this past year, I do still enjoy Giant Bomb and I think they're in good hands as long as the company that owns them doesn't kill them. This newsletter from Jess really illustrates one of the reasons I like Giant Bomb as much as I do. Even though the staff has changed, the culture remains the same and it's probably some of the most positive and forward thinking culture in games journalism.

I’ve been working at Giant Bomb for a little over a year now, and it’s been…. Very surreal for a few different reasons.

Firstly, some personal baggage: I was starting to feel like I’d never get a “real job” after so many years of tragically incompatible work situations. Between working for paychecks that never materialized, being ghosted by employers (one of which unghosted me to ask if I could forge a diploma for him - a federal crime!), losing editing gigs because of other freelancers’ flakeyness, making art for scumbags who then made inappropriate advances on me (and fired me in retaliation for enforcing my boundaries), and just interviews after interviews after interviews that didn’t pan out, it just felt like I was destined to hustle on Twitch and Patreon, making Let’s Plays and streams forever. It’s not a bad gig if you can make it work, but very few people can realistically squeeze a living out of it.

And, tangentially but importantly, it didn’t help that I was doxxed by Kiwifarms, which generally puts a damper on your willingness to “put yourself out there,” to put it mildly. Now if I decided to make any major public career moves (or even private career moves), a threat loomed that if somebody decided they hated my guts, they could call my employer and link them to a wiki-style article that claimed all sorts of nasty and ridiculous things about me, displayed right next to actual verifiable information, like my full name and address. Or the employer might decide to google my name and find an obsessive forum thread theorizing all sorts of gruesome fiction about me, and decide I’m not worth the drama. Or an unhinged person could decide to visit my apartment if they really wanted to terrorize me. I told the cops (lol). They suggested I buy a gun if I was so worried and sent me on my way. I bought an alternate weapon. I stopped posting life events on Facebook. I told family members to stop tagging me in photos (which was the route by which KF found my real name initially. Even though my own facebook was very private, my in-laws’ weren’t). I quietly moved apartments. I didn’t even tweet about when my grandparents died, for fear that KF would track down their obituaries and find more information about me and my family. Needless to say, having a few obsessed freaks haunting your steps also takes a toll on your relationship with reality, along with your willingness to be optimistic about it, haha. I had derealization problems even before having a stalking website be invested in making my life stranger, sadder, and lonelier. You can’t talk about Kiwifarms online because they love to see confirmation that they’re negatively impacting you, and you can’t confide in your IRL friends because it’s simply a situation most people aren’t equipped to understand or empathize with. Fuck that site. (Thanks for fucking them up, @Keffals)

After all that setup comes the “Secondly” part of why working at Giant Bomb is surreal: getting hired for anything seemed implausible for me, but getting recruited for a job seemed downright impossible. Let alone getting recruited for something that’s a big deal to me, like Giant Bomb. Whaaat? This isn’t just a break, this is a major break. I laid face-down on the floor and laughed/cried that Jan Ochoa had contacted me to do contract work for GB, while my partner confusingly consoled and congratulated me on senpai noticing me. Is this for real?

I had been through enough garbage that I was extremely bracing myself that this would all fall through, of course. I thought, realistically, at BEST, they’re gonna get a few videos outta me, then some random dumb thing will make all this disintegrate, just like all the other gigs. I’d been hurt a lot and it was foolish to get my hopes up! Stay cool, stay cool.

Then I was asked if I’d be alright with producing The Very Online Show! That’s a big deal! That’s actual “in-house” (uh, kinda) production work! They trust me enough to give me access to the backend stuff? What?? Is this for real? I also got to physically hang out with Jeff Bakalar, how real is that? (If only all job interviews involved playing BeyBlades with the interviewer’s kid, we would surely live in a kinder world.)

Long story short, it’s over a year into this job and yet… I still have trouble fully believing this is a real thing that’s really happening to me. I work at Giant Bomb?

It’s disquieting that the pandemic is what enabled me to be here. GB would have never hired me if it was still a physical-only situation, with my dumb ass stuck in the Midwest for the time being. That doesn’t feel real, but then again the whole pandemic was a major reality shift.

The work-from-home situation also contributes to the non-realness of this thing. That’s the “Thirdly” part. There’s obviously a social hole in my life caused by the lack of physicality - it makes the whole thing feel less tangible, like it could be erased overnight or something. …Not that tangibility affected my other jobs’ ability to ghost me or fire me for reasons outside of my control! Lol. ? Aaaand not to mention that I’m working in an industry where people get laid off out-of-the-blue seemingly every month or so. So that’s still a bit terrifying.

But anyway, it’s been a long, rocky journey that only recently got way better: the last year or so since getting hired here. And soon I get to meet ALL my coworkers for the first time! In person! For real! Holy shit!

Maybe it’ll sink in now?

I hope Giant Bomb never dies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

If I had a time machine all I'd do with it is get my younger dumb ass to invest in a bunch of tech shit with a list of dates of when to sell out, that's literally it.

So you would send yourself a sport's almanac, Biff?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Man, Gamefaqs was an absolute juggernaut in the pre-youtube days when everyone uploading video wasn't technically feasable. But I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I used that site.

I did in the last year to work  my way through the Steam version of Final Fantasy V. It was perfect for those kind of old, complicated games where if you didn't go back with x party member and touch y pixel you missed gear/summons/whatever.

• Like 1

Since it technically came out yesterday, it now goes here

Overwatch 2 launched yesterday... and no one was able to play it as Blizzard's servers were being hit with DDoS attacks

Honestly, it really shouldn't have been a surprise because of *waves arms* everything

My continued Witcher 3 re-re-re-re-re-exploration got awfully dark.

I'd never actually played the "bad" ending because I didn't have the nerve to do it before (I've sided with Gaunter a bunch of times and done the Unseen Elder ending in Blood & Wine), but I decided to do a "Worst Witcher Ever" set of choices.  Basically if I could screw something up or fail to see how things really worked (like the Carnal Sins quest) or advance by slaughtering something, I did it that way. 

But the most difficult moment wasn't betraying Ciri.  It certainly wasn't romancing both Yen and Triss.  What got me in the feels and made me want to turn the game off?  I killed Bart!  Poor sweet stupid Bart.

Was kinda fun to break Dijkstra's other leg, though.

My SteamDeck is being delivered Friday apparently. What a quick turnaround - reserved last Monday, ordered this Monday, shipped out today. I was totally expecting a longer reservation period, but here we are.

Kind of excited, but also kind of weary how well hand-held is going to work with a lot of games. People rave about the thing, so we'll see if it lives up to the hype.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since it technically came out yesterday, it now goes here

Overwatch 2 launched yesterday... and no one was able to play it as Blizzard's servers were being hit with DDoS attacks

Honestly, it really shouldn't have been a surprise because of *waves arms* everything

And to make it worse, Blizzard added new trophies to the original Overwatch list and renamed it Overwatch 2 (so now the 100% I got is no more) and the PS5 trophy list doesn't autopop (even though it should). Hopefully, Blizzard will fix the autopop issue soon but I'm not counting on it. Mediatonic STILL hasn't fixed the autopop issue for Fall Guys on PS5 and it's been over 2 months.

You may ask yourself, "Why do you care about trophies not autopopping?" Because I don't want to have to go through the work of getting the Platinum again. I feel like I've already proven myself by getting it the first time around; game publishers shouldn't punish players like me because they don't consider trophies to be a priority.

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

You may ask yourself, "Why do you care about trophies not autopopping?" Because I don't want to have to go through the work of getting the Platinum again. I feel like I've already proven myself by getting it the first time around; game publishers shouldn't punish players like me because they don't consider trophies to be a priority.

That may be something that you sadly have to consider going forward because it may become the norm. "Do I want to chase after live service games if they are going to be overwritten after being bought or upgraded." Bummer, I know but precedent has been set. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

That may be something that you sadly have to consider going forward because it may become the norm. "Do I want to chase after live service games if they are going to be overwritten after being bought or upgraded." Bummer, I know but precedent has been set. 

Yeah, I haven't loaded Fall Guys and Overwatch on PS5 because I feel I've already done it and don't want to do it again. But I'm not looking forward to going back through Overwatch on PS4 and deal with boosting groups going after the trophies for the game (especially ones where there's people starting from scratch and they waited too long to do it).

I know with Blizzard's plans, they'll add more heroes and a campaign (so likely more trophies).