DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

I really wish someone would make new instrument sets for people wanting to give Rock Band another go that doesn't involve paying the obscene ebay secondary market prices. I'm sure lack of demand + supply cost prevents it, but everytime I look on ebay I get bummed out. 

ha, i still have all my instruments for Guitar Hero: World Tour for the PS2 because i couldn't get peanuts for them when i looked at selling years ago. crazy how that works.

Played through a chunk of the opening of Ghost of Tsushima, only just got my sword back.  Inject this into my motherfucking veins; it took more willpower than expected to not turn on Kurosawa Mode.  Next playthrough.

Glad I have an XBone, though; I wouldn't want to tie up SSD space on this thing with apps like Netflix and whatnot and then feel bad about it later. 

I don't know which tier of PS+ I'll sign up for, but it seems a given I'll pick one of them before the sale ends.  Possibly Extra just because it lets me try out GoW and the Spider-Man games with no other commitment.  I'm also morbidly curious how janky Skyrim & Fallout 4 are on this console.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 4

I have a 2nd PS5 and I'll be giving my dad that for Christmas. Also, so I can play PS4 & PS5 games on my account when I go to visit my parents. Not to mention you can watch 4K Blu Rays on it (it's essentially this generation's PS3 except with a bit more features).

For gaming nerds like me, Azure Striker Gunvolt 3, Neon White, Hindsight and River City Girls 2 all came out within the last few days and have PS5 versions too.

8 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Played through a chunk of the opening of Ghost of Tsushima, only just got my sword back.  Inject this into my motherfucking veins; it took more willpower than expected to not turn on Kurosawa Mode.  Next playthrough.

Glad I have an XBone, though; I wouldn't want to tie up SSD space on this thing with apps like Netflix and whatnot and then feel bad about it later. 

I don't know which tier of PS+ I'll sign up for, but it seems a given I'll pick one of them before the sale ends.  Possibly Extra just because it lets me try out GoW and the Spider-Man games with no other commitment.  I'm also morbidly curious how janky Skyrim & Fallout 4 are on this console.

Kurosawa Mode is great for GoT, but you're doing a massive disservice if you don't play it in standard color.  It's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Kurosawa Mode is great for GoT, but you're doing a massive disservice if you don't play it in standard color.  It's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

I don't think this game got nearly enough hype and it got plenty of hype. It's legitimately one of the greatest games ever made and it's probably the most artistically beautiful open world I've ever played. I get why someone would like to play Kurosawa mode,  but the use of color in the regular mode is fucking amazing. If i ever play Kurosawa mode,  it will be on maybe a 3rd playthrough, because I just want to ride through the countryside looking at the colors. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Which is why I didn't end up selecting it: "Hey dumbass, you just bought a $500 paperweight to look at the pretty colors; maybe you should keep the colors on!"

Still gonna do it eventually, though.  And Japanese dialogue for life.

I can already tell the difference between my PC and this, too.  The upgrades that would have put my PC on this level would have run me more like $1k minimum (if not more, and EVGA isn't carrying the 40 series from NVIDIA because apparently they're badly-designed - I'm more loyal to EVGA than NVIDIA), so this is probably the wiser investment (for now).

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Got my 269th Platinum trophy with Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days for PS3. The game was made by people with dogshit souls. The ending literally just ends in the final area and it's ambiguous as to any sense of finality. My theory:

Spoiler

I doubt anyone on here will play this, but here goes. I don't think either character survives in the end. The ending is they board a plane bound for Ecuador on the run from the Chinese mob, the police, and remnants of their boss' crew. In a grisly scene much earlier in the game, they escape naked after being cut with boxcutters. They eventually find clothes, but even then the cuts are getting to them. Not to mention the character you play as for most of the game is a medicated psychopath.

So once they get on the plane, it is likely they run out of ammo and get killed or subdued. Or the main character (Lynch) goes crazy and starts killing passengers and they shoot the pilot or shoot out a window in the crossfire. The plane crashes and they die. If it's possible they survive after commandeering the plane and land in Ecuador, they still have to contend with the local police being aware of what they did and they die in Ecuador. Or if they go underground in Ecuador, where would they go? They are now wanted international criminals. Not to mention their injuries are not treated. What the person did with the boxcutters was 'death by a thousand cuts.' Eventually, they'll succumb to their injuries.

Every possible scenario I can think of doesn't lead to their survival or a Kane & Lynch 3.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

I've been playing a bunch of Midnight Fight Express and PGA 2k21.

Digging the mechanics of Midnight and learning the different ways to take out enemies.

Finally started a career mode in 2k21 but I don't appreciate the ads for 2k23 everytime I boot up the game. 

I sold literally every non-Zelda game I had on eBay late last year and early this year, so BOTW wins my Switch count by default, since I haven't played Link's Awakening since beating it.

GoT is...fucking amazing, and yet also inherently disappointing, since it, like just about everything else out there, is starting to buckle under the gravity of the samey-ness of all open-world games.  There's a little of a ton of games here and that's because...well...every game like this borrows from EVERY other game like it all the time now, and there's seemingly no getting away from that.  I like this; I like the cinematic quality and the storytelling, and that the combat is never something you can take too lightly (I have it on Easy and I still feel like I make way way too many mistakes).  But...I've played this already.  A dozen times or more.  And that's without playing literally one single Ubisoft game in my life - I've still been in this place, doing these things already, many many times. 

It *almost* - not really, but almost - makes me yearn for the days where something genuinely weird, like Morrowind, could drop and you're just left thinking, "Wait, I can actually JUMP across the continent and get myself killed in some completely barmy way within 5 minutes of starting the game?  What in the cream cheese fuck is this??"  And that's before getting into 20 other things that are just baffling about the mechanics.  All these games are too busy being gated and making sure your progress is exactly as incremental as the devs think is appropriate.

Edited by Contentious C

My sister has a PS5 and I own a Series X.  We just swap consoles for a bit when something comes out that the other wants to play.  Eventually I will get a PS5 of my own as I would like to start collecting a library of the PS5 games I really enjoyed playing like Ghost of Tsushima.

• Like 1

That new Sonic was weird and janky, but very fun. I would hunt the plat, but I don't know which of the guardian types I still haven't defeated, and unless the game tells me somewhere, I am good on trial-and-error guardian smashing.

EDIT: Nevermind. It took an extra thirty minutes to hunt down the last four or five guardians I hadn't beaten for the plat. I'm a regular Andrew POE! over here.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

Picked up a Series S for my gamer son's 16th birthday. We've been a primarily Sony household since the PS3, so is there anything truly essential we should check out? He's a SoulsBorne fanatic who also likes God Of War, GTA and Genshin Impact. 

I'm mostly looking forward to finally playing the Ori games. 

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Picked up a Series S for my gamer son's 16th birthday. We've been a primarily Sony household since the PS3, so is there anything truly essential we should check out? He's a SoulsBorne fanatic who also likes God Of War, GTA and Genshin Impact. 

I'm mostly looking forward to finally playing the Ori games. 

I think starting with just Gamepass will more than keep you going for the time being. 

• Like 1

Yeah - Gamepass is always the #1 thing I would recommend on a XBOX

EDIT - just to elaborate more, it will have all the first party Microsoft titles (so like it has both Oris available)

And then you can play things you might have been interested in but didn't want to pay full price for

• Like 1

It definitely seems like a no-brainer. I'm going to leave it up to him as far as purchasing individual games with his own money but I'm down to front the 15 bucks a month. I couldn't personally justify buying stuff on Xbox quite yet since we have a huge PlayStation library over the last three generations.

22 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

It definitely seems like a no-brainer. I'm going to leave it up to him as far as purchasing individual games with his own money but I'm down to front the 15 bucks a month. I couldn't personally justify buying stuff on Xbox quite yet since we have a huge PlayStation library over the last three generations.

If you go to CDkeys,  you can usually find 3 month ultimate passes for reasonable. For example, it's currently $27.19 for 3 months of it (so you save a little under $18). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone here play Bannerlord II? I started playing it on PS4 last week and it's pretty fun so far. A little bit of a learning curve as the tutorials are pretty worthless and the controls aren't the best. It's probably best played on a PC rather than a console. It kinda feels like an unfinished game as well. It's worth picking up a used copy and I'm enjoying it but definitely don't pay full price for it.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:47 PM, Casey said:

I do not understand Steam's trading card thing, but I sold one from Final Fantasy X for 8 cents this morning. Neat!

At this point, I probably have 20-30 games I know I will never play but have run in the background for a few hours just to get the card drops and sell them.  Too bad I don't just have the money I pissed away on them in the first place.

• Like 1