DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

Good thing this is on YouTube, because everyone so far is taking their sweet ass time on stage.  Al Pacino was doing bicep curls with the award, Christopher Judge is pausing for 15 seconds between every word, and thanking everyone from his momma to my momma.

We should all thank your momma for giving you to us. 

• Like 1

Okay my PS5 just arrived. Not gonna complain about buying it and having it arrive at my day in basically 24 hours (for free thanks to the promotion Playstation had)

Ironically - I also just got an invitation from Amazon allowing me to get one too.

Now to hook it up and run 45 hours of updates

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I knew Astro's Playroom was a good game but none of you told me how hard the soundtrack slaps

IT'S MY GPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

GPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

GPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Like 2

I decided to try out Chained Echoes since I was in the mood for an old school RPG and its on GamePass. Its... ok, but the issue is that I am currently a little stuck (it happens) so I went online to find a walkthrough to see what I'm missing. Well, I am further in the game than any walkthroughs I could find so I guess I am on my own. The Internet failed me.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I knew Astro's Playroom was a good game but none of you told me how hard the soundtrack slaps

Oh yeah, that soundtrack is perfection. 

Now I want to go back and play it. I wonder if I even have it installed still.

• Like 1

I enjoy that when I transferred my PS4 to my PS5 - Sony was all “hey! We moved the WWE Network app over. That’s still a thing right?!”

I really should have paid attention to what was transferring. I could have really cut that 10 hour transfer down…. though part of me thinks Spiderman would have still take like 8 hours

Ape Escape 2 is so fuckin' good. The thumbstick controls are weird but they make sense, the soundtrack puts the work in, the "kiddie" voice acting is actually hillarious cause it's literally just Ash and Misty (not in the PS4 remaster though), there's lots of collectables and goofy art/comics/stories to unlock, and I've liked three outta three bosses. It's really really *polished*.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Walmart has the GOTY Edition for $20 and Best Buy has it for $22.

All the DLC is included on disc. 

I was wrong, the DLC is a code that expired in August.

I broke out my copy and found out the hard way.

The PS5 Miles Morales Ultimate Edition includes the Remastered Spider Man w/DLC.

Pretty shitty that they put expiration dates on DLC that is still being sold in stores. 

I got the email from PS Direct earlier and have spent a few hours waffling about buying anything.

On one hand, if I want to play GoW:Ragnarok or HFW in the next 3 years, this is how I do that.

On the other, the only *truly* exclusive PS game I'm even remotely interested in picking up is Ghost of Tsushima, and I have no idea whether I'd even like it or if it's worth throwing $500+ for effectively one game (even if I also get HFW).  So I just don't think I could justify dropping $600 after taxes on all this.

On the other other hand, Reddit seems to enjoy comparing GoT to Witcher 3, so...fuck my life if I don't buy it.

I'm probably better off waiting for the upcoming Steam sale and picking off GoW and Death Stranding (and maybe one of the Spider-Man games) just to kill some of my FOMO.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

I accidentally started playing Ratchet & Clank so I guess that is the new game I am playing

Basically I was fucking around with my PS5 and I saw that R&C had transferred over from my PS4. I had assumed it was which ever R&C (Tools of Destruction???) I was last playing on my PS4 so I fired it up to see if I needed to insert the disc or not to play it.

Turns out I totally spaced downloading the reimagined Ratchet & Clank from 2016 (I guess it was offered for free at some point in time)

Since it has been 20 years since I played the original (and they changed enough stuff up) - it basically is like playing a brand new game 

• Like 2

you guys, i am finally playing Cuphead. You might say "didn't that game come out in like 2017?" well, yes it did. But it FINALLY released physically a week ago so now i'm getting to play it. this might be a hot take, but it's a really fun and challenging game. and it looks amazing!

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

https://nintendo-switch-2022.nintendo.com/en-us/

Check your most played games of 2022.

Ring Fit Adventure (hey! look at me working out!)

Hollow Knight (i expect this would've been #1 except i started it in November last year. finally finished it this year. great game!)

Luigi's Mansion 3 (sure? i guess i don't play the Switch enough)

• Like 1

Rick & Morty isn’t my cup of tea, but I’ll be damned if High On Life isn’t fun as hell and actually pretty funny.

I mean, it’s a very basic FPS but it’s pretty and funny and fun and it’s on Gamepass so whatever, a win is a win.

• Like 2

I bought the PS5 anyway.  I have no impulse control, apparently.

Worst-case scenario, I can maybe flip it to someone else and get 75+% of what I spent back if I hate the games, like I did after my massive self-hype and awful disappointment with Metroid Dread.  But I got HFW & Ghost of Tsushima, so something tells me I'm not going to be hating either.  Plus, I figure I'll skim through PS+ and do some "try before you buy" for some of the other stuff I've had on my mind for a while.

And honestly, I'm maybe, sorta-kinda, just a little bit interested in seeing how the Horizon series VR game turns out.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Epic is turning off the servers for the following games

Spoiler

The full list of affected games is as follows:

1000 Tiny Claws
Dance Central 1
Dance Central 2
Dance Central 3 (Epic notes that Dance Central VR online multiplayer “will remain available”)
Green Day: Rock Band
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
Rock Band 1
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3 (Epic notes that Rock Band 4 online multiplayer “will remain available”)
The Beatles: Rock Band
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
Unreal Gold
Unreal II: The Awakening
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 3 (Epic notes that it has “plans to bring back online features via Epic Online Services in the future.”)
Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition

Basically all Rock Band that isn't Rock Band 4 and a lot of Unreal stuff

I really wish someone would make new instrument sets for people wanting to give Rock Band another go that doesn't involve paying the obscene ebay secondary market prices. I'm sure lack of demand + supply cost prevents it, but everytime I look on ebay I get bummed out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Epic is turning off the servers for the following games

Hide contents

The full list of affected games is as follows:

1000 Tiny Claws
Dance Central 1
Dance Central 2
Dance Central 3 (Epic notes that Dance Central VR online multiplayer “will remain available”)
Green Day: Rock Band
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
Rock Band 1
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3 (Epic notes that Rock Band 4 online multiplayer “will remain available”)
The Beatles: Rock Band
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
Unreal Gold
Unreal II: The Awakening
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 3 (Epic notes that it has “plans to bring back online features via Epic Online Services in the future.”)
Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition

Basically all Rock Band that isn't Rock Band 4 and a lot of Unreal stuff

The PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 (yes, they made it on console) had their servers shut off years ago, so I'm surprised that the servers for the PC version and the other Unreal games were still up.

I'll be trying to get the online trophies for Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars before they shut down in January. That game is a precursor to Rocket League actually.