DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Just finished Elden Ring so looking for a more traditional open world game. Had my eye on Greedfall. Has anyone here played it? And if so, what are your thoughts?

I could have sworn @J.T.played it

It is forever on my "to play list" due to the supposed meaningful choices thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Go for the Platinum!

(Or not, no one should be expected to do stupid things I do)

If a) I really enjoy the game and will do anything constructive within it just to have some goals while I play, and b) there aren't any online-only trophies, then I'll be right on that!

@Craig HFrontiers was half-off for Switch and like forty percent off for PS5 at Walmart, which is how I ended up getting it. I think it's still on sale elsewhere, but maybe not there anymore. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

46 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

If a) I really enjoy the game and will do anything constructive within it just to have some goals while I play, and b) there aren't any online-only trophies, then I'll be right on that!

@Craig HFrontiers was half-off for Switch and like forty percent off for PS5 at Walmart, which is how I ended up getting it. I think it's still on sale elsewhere, but maybe not there anymore. 

You're in luck, there are no online trophies. Based on the trophy list it seems really easy but grindy - typical of open world style games. Frontiers has been on sale throughout Black Friday on Amazon and Best Buy at various points. Currently on Amazon it's $35 for PS4 & PS5 versions and $40 for Switch version.

I actually bought it as well and will likely do it after I Platinum Sonic Unleashed / Sonic Generations / Sonic Colors Ultimate / Sonic Forces (yeech) / Sonic Origins.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I could have sworn @J.T.played it

Yep, I played Greedfall.  Solid game, interesting story, but the build system is far too easy to min / max.  You will trivialize content in no time flat with a bit of micromanagement.  I didn't bother with magic too much.  Traps and guns can beat nearly anything.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yep, I played Greedfall.  Solid game, interesting story, but the build system is far too easy to min / max.  You will trivialize content in no time flat with a bit of micromanagement.  I didn't bother with magic too much.  Traps and guns can beat nearly anything.

Thanks for the info. Overall was it enjoyable though? Also, what game would you say the combat is similar to?

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Just finished Elden Ring so looking for a more traditional open world game. Had my eye on Greedfall. Has anyone here played it? And if so, what are your thoughts?

I quite enjoyed Greedfall. Its system at times is a bit broken and it may have been a little overly ambitious for the developer, but the story is interesting/unique and the gameplay is fun. Its not as polished or epic as Elden Ring, but its definitely easier haha and still worth playing. I play every open world game that exists and Greedfall is solid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Thanks for the info. Overall was it enjoyable though? Also, what game would you say the combat is similar to?

Yeah, I enjoyed the setting, so the odd hiccup in gameplay was easy to forgive. The combat is similar to a lot of real time Action RPGs that automatically pause when you access your inventory or powers lists.  It's fairly intuitive.  You will have no problem mastering it and you can also respec yourself with no penalty, so you can mix and max your skillset or go full mage, technician (guns / traps, light armor), or martial (swords, axes, heavy armor).

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I'm in the same place where I'm close to beating Elden Ring, but I don't think Greedfall is going to be my jam and I want something else that's really going to push my PC. 

I thought about getting back into Fallout 4, but nah, fuck that. I don't care what realistic mods are out there for that game, doesn't change the fact that it's broken as fuck.

So I'm not sure. My friend bought Spider-Man on Steam and said it looks incredible on his PC, but that's a game I nearly beat on the PS4 so I don't know if I feel like going back and replaying it. Metro just isn't for me. It's just so slow. I don't know. Maybe I'll play Dying Light 2 on the PC. Or maybe, ugh, I buy a CoD game for the first time in forever and try Modern Warfare 2.

So after not having my PS5 hooked up for around nine months or so, I'm finally getting the opportunity to get into Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Having a lot of fun with it so far, but I expected that because it's a Borderlands game. Started out as a Brrr-Zerker but have gotten my dual class in Stabbomancer. Not sure how far into the storyline I am but it's still a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I thought about getting back into Fallout 4, but nah, fuck that. I don't care what realistic mods are out there for that game, doesn't change the fact that it's broken as fuck.

Or maybe, ugh, I buy a CoD game for the first time in forever and try Modern Warfare 2.

For all my Bethesda support, at least I can say burnout and frustration have never led me to make this awful, awful mistake.

Thanks for all of the info guys! I think I'll see if I can get a used copy sometime this week.

Also, anyone ever play Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord? Was looking up strategy RPGs and this looked intriguing as you can actually fight and it's not just turn based. 

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

buy a CoD game for the first time in forever and try Modern Warfare 2.

I've been playing Warzone 2.0 (mainly DMZ) and having a ton of fun with it. And Xfinity gave away the battle pass for free, so I've spent $0 on this game so far.

I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea, but yeah. DMZ mode is pretty great if you like online stuff, but don't like battle royales.

Sonic Frontiers main boss fights acting like every other game's final boss fights with a damn Kellin Quinn vocaled soundtrack was a choice I agree with.

It's really like Sonic Odyssey,, but once you get used to it it's pretty decent.  And the DLC stuff is going to be free.

So I played Warzone 2.0. This was my first time playing a battle royale in what feels like forever and I was in on the early beta for PUBG. When I got to the main menu I had no idea what to choose from. I saw one mode where it sounded like you forge alliances with enemies in game as opposed to going into a game with a group. If I read that right, that sounds like a neat idea in concept. I also have no idea what DMZ is supposed to be.

Part of the problem with the squad modes is that I have zero interest in talking to other people in games unless they're my friends and I have zero interest in listening to 12 year old kids in a video game.

My local Gamestop didn't have Greedfall so I traded in Elden Ring and got Mount and Blade II. Will probably order Greedfall online.

Off topic but did the pandemic destroy Gamestop or something? There used to be at least 4 of them in my medium sized town (Charlottesville, VA) and now they're down to 1. It's understaffed and they've cut back their hours to where they open at noon during the week when they used to open at 10am every day. The one I went to only had one guy working today and the line was pretty long. I was there for about 45 minutes as one of the guys in front of me was trading in a PS4 and the lone worker had to hook it up to a monitor and make sure it worked before taking the trade. There also somebody in front of me who was pretty clearly trading in some stolen games. The only id he had was an inmate id that didn't look anything like him. His brother was with him and he had an id, which when I caught a glimpse of it, didn't look like him (the brother) either. I'm guessing the clerk just didn't feel like dealing with it and wanted to keep the line moving so he barely glanced at them. The only reason I stayed was because I'd driven about 30 minutes across town and didn't want to go home empty handed.

Gamestop's management killed Gamestop, with a helpful assist from Amazon.  They really only exist today through a combination of inertia and internet weirdos running an Iraqi Dinar scam with their stock.

Gaming-wise, I am back on my bullshit, by which I mean starting another new game of Dragon Quest Builders 2 instead of any of the games on my backlog.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Part of the problem with the squad modes is that I have zero interest in talking to other people in games unless they're my friends and I have zero interest in listening to 12 year old kids in a video game.

This is by far the biggest problem with Apex, first of all I'm 41 and gaming all day it's obvious I have no friends so stop trying to make me play on teams. Second of all I have learned so many college and high school age insults, I know all the "kid's lingo" as they say

On 11/26/2022 at 3:45 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

three games in my top 5 for 2022 came from Game Pass (and that's true whether Pentiment ends up in my top 5 or not)

PENTIMENT [4]
A biggish budget Disco Elysium-like with a heavy emphasis on charm and art history headed by the person behind Fallout New Vegas, but also an EXTREMELY deft hand in how it reveals how your build effects what you see. Disco has the bold idea to show you options you can roll on even if your stats won't clear them, to plant more specific seeds about the kind of player you might like to try next time. Pentiment instead at no point reveals what's available for different builds, and those different builds can change on six different factors (so far! I'm only in act 2!). I am in constant awe of what they've done here. High marks, strong recommendation, probably #3 on my top 5 but I could see it passing SIGNALIS.

• Like 3

I downloaded Pentiment, Norco, and Trek to Yomi off game pass over the week and hope to check one of those out over the weekend. My gaming is super limited and I'm very hop scotch about playing games. I logged in about 90 minutes last night, and that session featured Forza Horizon 5, FIFA, and PGA 2k23. 

Yikes, not looking very good for Callisto Protocol right now. Apparently runs like ass on PC even with top of the line hardware, and has issues on consoles (read there’s no performance/quality options on Xbox at all, runs 30fps on Series S, and hiccups on PS5 despite having help from a handful of Sony studios). 

I might just buy Midnight Suns instead, haven’t heard complaints about that one. I’m gonna wait a minute to see how it does on SteamDeck, though.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, Craig H said:

I am proud to say that the D2 clan I used to lead had like five or six middle schoolers in it that were absolute killers in PvP.  I called them my internet nephews and nieces.  The parents of the kids used to jump on chat and thank me for running things youth friendly and being one of the few adults they could trust their kids with while they were online.

I was also the designated adult chaperone for my daughter's Pirate 101 gang when she played that game as a kid with her friends.

I don't mind running with kids in my squad in MMOs or FPSs as long as they are not fucking know it all squeakers that are shit at the game and don't take direction, but those negative character traits are not restricted to kids.  Adults can be just as if not more annoying.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

May need some PS4/5 non obvious recommendations eventually. 

Am curious to finally play Spider-Man or Horizon after all these years. 

I got a few:

- Demon's Souls - Seriously must-own on PS5 IMO.

- Bloodborne - Incredible experience on PS4.

- Resogun - Early launch PS4 game but so well done.

- Castlevania Requiem - Has Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood in one package.

- Mad Max - Online servers are shut down but very underrated open world game.

- Mirror's Edge Catalyst - May not appeal to you, but I found this game to actually be fun to do and rather addictive.

- Rayman Legends - Fun platforming bliss.

- Infamous Second Son - Early-ish launch game and just the right length to play and beat. Easy Platinum if you care about that sort of thing.

- Hyper Light Drifter / Songbringer / Moonlighter / Stories: The Path of Destinies - Top down Zelda like games, each with their own differences.

- Enter The Gungeon - Zelda rogue-like where every play through is different and uses guns.

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am proud to say that the D2 clan I used to lead had like five or six middle schoolers in it that were absolute killers in PvP.  I called them my internet nephews and nieces.  The parents of the kids used to jump on chat and thank me for running things youth friendly and being one of the few adults they could trust their kids with while they were online.

I was also the designated adult chaperone for my daughter's Pirate 101 gang when she played that game as a kid with her friends.

I don't mind running with kids in my squad in MMOs or FPSs as long as they are not fucking know it all squeakers that are shit at the game and don't take direction, but those negative character traits are not restricted to kids.  Adults can be just as if not more annoying.

I will say that when my friends and I play Valorant, communication is key even when it's with randos. It's almost more annoying when our rando teammates don't call anything out. The only problem with the middle schoolers and college kids is that they all want to talk shit or tell you what to do even though they're bottom fragging. The easiest solution is to just mute them. A couple times I've had to have a dad with the younger kids and be like, hey young, I know you're trying to be helpful and we appreciate it, but it gets distracting when you're just talking and criticizing non stop. Some have been pretty receptive to that.

Valorant by and large is a decent community though. Female players are by the far the best teammates though. They're almost always funny, they're always super chill, and they're always helpful. We've never run into a single female player that has been a troll or someone who tried to throw a match. I think we've friended more female players than bros in Valorant just because in our experience, they're just vastly better players and teammates. And not to white knight or anything, but as the father of a daughter that's getting more and more into online shooters, we all feel like we have a responsibility to treat them as good as possible to let them know not everyone is a creep or a dick. Even if I didn't have a daughter we'd still behave the same way because again, we want that demographic in the game to grow because they're just better teammates.

I'd rather have a female on our team who isn't going to top frag, but is going to be friendly and call stuff out than some try hard bro who talks shit and just must be the top frag in the game. Those people tend to be toxic as hell.

• Like 1